• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

Oklahoma.....where the corn's as high as an elephant's eye..

http://thinkprogress.org/economy/2014/04/15/3426716/oklahoma-ban-minimum-wage-paid-sick-leave/

What a wonderful state it is, filled to the brim with good Christians who likely voted this woman into office. Notice how everything she claims is a fact is indeed refuted time and again by study after study. In typical fashion, she relies upon faith rather than reason. If you like this kind of legislation, vote for the GOP in the national election where it can go mainstream baby. No paid sick leaves or vacation, low wages and all the tough love a love starved person could ever want or hope for.....

Jen

Senator
Mary Fallen said this (quoting your article):

"Fallin said she signed the bill out of the worry that higher local minimum wages “would drive businesses to other communities and states, and would raise prices for consumers.” She also argued that “most minimum wage workers are young, single people working part-time or entry level jobs” and that “many are high school or college students living with their parents in middle-class families.” She warned that increasing the minimum wage “would require businesses to fire many of those part-time workers” and harm job creation."

Looking at the workers in the minimum wage areas - fast foods, etc - the workers here are quite obviously young and obviously college or high school students. That is the way it should be. Raising their minimum wage would lessen the available jobs in many of Oklahoma's small towns and it would raise the price of a simple burger meal. Wages are fairly low here but then, so is the cost of living.

You mock Oklahoma, but there aren't that many states left that have kept the wrecking ball of the union out. Not many states offer 3000 plus sf homes on a manicured acre with a pool and hot tub for (plus or minus a few bucks) $300,000.

While you compare Oklahoma's lower minimum wage on your own Democrat slum cities (Detroit)(because it's all you know).......... if you came to Oklahoma you would see new homes like I described built throughout the year, and immediately filled.

But really...................that's fine..............I live in the country, in an idyllic setting, in a very nice home, and I'm not in any hurry to have the slimy hordes from the Democrat cities discovering it and moving in next door.

Craig

Senator
Supporting Member

"Fallin said she signed the bill out of the worry that higher local minimum wages “would drive businesses to other communities and states, and would raise prices for consumers.” She also argued that “most minimum wage workers are young, single people working part-time or entry level jobs” and that “many are high school or college students living with their parents in middle-class families.” She warned that increasing the minimum wage “would require businesses to fire many of those part-time workers” and harm job creation."

Looking at the workers in the minimum wage areas - fast foods, etc - the workers here are quite obviously young and obviously college or high school students. That is the way it should be. Raising their minimum wage would lessen the available jobs in many of Oklahoma's small towns and it would raise the price of a simple burger meal. Wages are fairly low here but then, so is the cost of living.

You mock Oklahoma, but there aren't that many states left that have kept the wrecking ball of the union out. Not many states offer 3000 plus sf homes on a manicured acre with a pool and hot tub for (plus or minus a few bucks) $300,000.

While you compare Oklahoma's lower minimum wage on your own Democrat slum cities (Detroit)(because it's all you know).......... if you came to Oklahoma you would see new homes like I described built throughout the year, and immediately filled.

But really...................that's fine..............I live in the country, in an idyllic setting, in a very nice home, and I'm not in any hurry to have the slimy hordes from the Democrat cities discovering it and moving in next door.

Maryland is an expensive state, by most accounts.

This house has 2,100 square feet on 2.7 acres with an above ground pool, ...$272,000. It's out in the country, 90 minutes or so from Bmore and DC...

http://www.trulia.com/property/3149992102-14802-Fairview-Church-Rd-Clear-Spring-MD-21722#photo-13

This one has 3 acres, 2,400 sq ft and a pool...also above ground...and is listed at $258,000.

http://www.trulia.com/property/3150941264-6781-Dam-Number-4-Rd-Sharpsburg-MD-21782#photo-28

Now...taking that just a bit more...a tad more money, but a closer location..

2,761 sq ft on 1.07 acres, 4BR, 3BA, inground pool with waterfall, $349,900

http://www.trulia.com/property/3089876799-3735-Back-Woods-Rd-Westminster-MD-21158

Jen

Senator
Maryland is an expensive state, by most accounts.

This house has 2,100 square feet on 2.7 acres with an above ground pool, ...$272,000. It's out in the country, 90 minutes or so from Bmore and DC...

http://www.trulia.com/property/3149992102-14802-Fairview-Church-Rd-Clear-Spring-MD-21722#photo-13

This one has 3 acres, 2,400 sq ft and a pool...also above ground...and is listed at $258,000.

http://www.trulia.com/property/3150941264-6781-Dam-Number-4-Rd-Sharpsburg-MD-21782#photo-28

Now...taking that just a bit more...a tad more money, but a closer location..

2,761 sq ft on 1.07 acres, 4BR, 3BA, inground pool with waterfall, $349,900

http://www.trulia.com/property/3089876799-3735-Back-Woods-Rd-Westminster-MD-21158
That's nice.
How much do the utilities cost for those homes?
Oklahoma utility prices are pretty low (and I've lived in enough other states to be able to compare).

Compare those homes with this one:
http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/241-Hickory-Forest-Dr-Choctaw-OK-73020/21942976_zpid/

Craig

Senator
Supporting Member
That's nice.
How much do the utilities cost for those homes?
Oklahoma utility prices are pretty low (and I've lived in enough other states to be able to compare).
About like wages compare...;)

All I know is it's a nearly 3,000 square foot house on a manicured acre with a pool, for a little over 300K.

But...it's too close to the slimy hordes for your taste anyway...

Jen

Senator
About like wages compare...;)

All I know is it's a nearly 3,000 square foot house on a manicured acre with a pool, for a little over 300K.

But...it's too close to the slimy hordes for your taste anyway...
Compare the last home you posted with the one I posted.
There's no comparison in their looks.
If I had to live in Maryland, I think I would go smaller condo or something. That house was icky.

Craig

Senator
Supporting Member
Compare the last home you posted with the one I posted.
There's no comparison in their looks.
If I had to live in Maryland, I think I would go smaller condo or something. That house was icky.

I barely searched...but I found houses that matched your initial specifications. In a very expensive state.

If I had to live in Oklahoma...oh hell, I can't imagine ever having to live in Oklahoma. The politics are icky. So are the tornadoes.

Jen

Senator
I barely searched...but I found houses that matched your initial specifications. In a very expensive state.

If I had to live in Oklahoma...oh hell, I can't imagine ever having to live in Oklahoma. The politics are icky. So are the tornadoes.
I barely searched also.
The two houses were comparable in size, accommodations, price and year built. One was very nice (my link), the other one not so nice at all(your link).
One has to add together a lot of things to choose where to live. Some people don't even have a choice of where they live, that was decided by where they were born or where their work is.
I am not in Oklahoma by choice, and I would enjoy living in a state where my vote could make a difference. I would go back to Seattle if I could just choose a place and go.

But I can recognize that I have excellent bang for my buck here. My house is new, beautiful and in a great and quiet neighborhood. I consider myself fortunate.

I know where the tornadoes are likely to start and it's not right over my head. I know what to do if there is a tornado just as I knew what to do when there was a blizzard when I lived in blizzard country, I knew what to do when there was a hurricane when I lived in hurricane country and I know what to do if a fire is coming my way or if there is a bad earthquake. Earth has its perils.

My post was in response to the top post meant to needle anyone from Oklahoma. There are hordes of nasty people everywhere. There have been hicks in every state I've lived in (including Washington State:eek:). One can't avoid that.

Craig

Senator
Supporting Member
I barely searched also.
The two houses were comparable in size, accommodations, price and year built. One was very nice (my link), the other one not so nice at all(your link).
One has to add together a lot of things to choose where to live. Some people don't even have a choice of where they live, that was decided by where they were born or where their work is.
I am not in Oklahoma by choice, and I would enjoy living in a state where my vote could make a difference. I would go back to Seattle if I could just choose a place and go.

But I can recognize that I have excellent bang for my buck here. My house is new, beautiful and in a great and quiet neighborhood. I consider myself fortunate.

I know where the tornadoes are likely to start and it's not right over my head. I know what to do if there is a tornado just as I knew what to do when there was a blizzard when I lived in blizzard country, I knew what to do when there was a hurricane when I lived in hurricane country and I know what to do if a fire is coming my way or if there is a bad earthquake. Earth has its perils.

My post was in response to the top post meant to needle anyone from Oklahoma. There are hordes of nasty people everywhere. There have been hicks in every state I've lived in (including Washington State:eek:). One can't avoid that.

And I responded to your "defense" of Oklahoma by showing you that Maryland has comparable homes. Even though it's been ruined by unions and is full of slimy hordes...So, not many states offer such housing...as in all? I think I could find a one acre, 3000 sq foot house for around 300K in every state in the union, save Hawaii...

You may find the design "icky", but the aesthetics of the house weren't part of your initial concern. Of course we all desire to own a house we find attractive.

According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, OK has the third highest percentage of people working at or below the minimum wage, 17%. The notion that jobs will drift to other states has been disputed over and over again. In reality, they are anything but Christians, they are really just Roman overlords. Sorry, but Oklahoma has done very little to improve our nation and apparently very little to improve the incomes and lives of their own people. If only the Cherokee ran Oklahoma...

Jen

Senator
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, OK has the third highest percentage of people working at or below the minimum wage, 17%. The notion that jobs will drift to other states has been disputed over and over again. In reality, they are anything but Christians, they are really just Roman overlords. Sorry, but Oklahoma has done very little to improve our nation and apparently very little to improve the incomes and lives of their own people. If only the Cherokee ran Oklahoma...
There is a large Cherokee, Choctaw, Chickasaw, Shawnee....... and other Native American population in Oklahoma and they figure prominently in the state. Were you insulting them by any chance? Certainly sounded as if you were doing that (as being minimum-wage people). Shame on you.

Jen

Senator
And I responded to your "defense" of Oklahoma by showing you that Maryland has comparable homes. Even though it's been ruined by unions and is full of slimy hordes...So, not many states offer such housing...as in all? I think I could find a one acre, 3000 sq foot house for around 300K in every state in the union, save Hawaii...

You may find the design "icky", but the aesthetics of the house weren't part of your initial concern. Of course we all desire to own a house we find attractive.
I think what it proved was that if you compare the homes in OK and Maryland (using the two you and I posted as examples) you'd live in a dump in Maryland and in a nice house in OK. Sure you can find homes in most states that are 3000sf on at least one acre for $300k. But I'm sorry.............I don't want to live in a dump for that price or for any price. I wouldn't have stepped one foot into that Maryland home's kitchen. Nasty.

NightSwimmer

Senator
I would think that having to live in Oklahoma would be punishment enough, without the Governor going out of her way to suppress the already low wages paid to their working class residents.