• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

Pearl Harbor Day---------never forget that day

JackDallas

Senator
Supporting Member
off to a Veterans breakfast
I was listening to a discussion of the attack on a local radio talk show this morning and they mentioned that there was a lot of film made as the attack was occurring. I know I've seen a lot of video of the attack as it was happening and it occurred to me. They didn't have TV in those days so the only place folks could see those films was at the movies, when they ran the movie news reels.
We take it for granted now that we can see stuff like that on the history channel, or on the cable news channels or on YouTube. But I can remember when I was a kid, before television, going to the movies on Saturday and seeing the news reels. It was the only time we ever saw the news in videos.

Dawg

President
Supporting Member
I was listening to a discussion of the attack on a local radio talk show this morning and they mentioned that there was a lot of film made as the attack was occurring. I know I've seen a lot of video of the attack as it was happening and it occurred to me. They didn't have TV in those days so the only place folks could see those films was at the movies, when they ran the movie news reels.
We take it for granted now that we can see stuff like that on the history channel, or on the cable news channels or on YouTube. But I can remember when I was a kid, before television, going to the movies on Saturday and seeing the news reels. It was the only time we ever saw the news in videos.
We didn't have inside bathroom until I was 10...we damn sure didn't have a TV.........Dad was shot and took POW in 1944..........family didn't know if he was alive or dead until May 1945.............

JackDallas

Senator
Supporting Member
We didn't have inside bathroom until I was 10...we damn sure didn't have a TV.........Dad was shot and took POW in 1944..........family didn't know if he was alive or dead until May 1945.............
My dad was in the Second Marine Division. He was wounded on Guadalcanal and spent some time in Australia recuperating. Then he went back into combat.
I've just finished watching the mini-series The Pacific again. It's an awesome work.

JackDallas

Senator
Supporting Member
The Japanese had informed American leadership that they would immediately kill all Allied prisoners the minute American boots landed on Japanese homeland soil. So those two bombs probably saved your dad's life.