• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

Pet peeves

JackDallas

Senator
Supporting Member
Those little things that annoy, irritate and piss us off. Here aqre a few of mine:

Stores (mainly convenience stores) with double doors and the keep the left door locked so everyone has to fight to get in and out the right door.

People who cut their eggs with a knife and fork, instead of just using the fork. My dad did it and it still annoys me.

Going to the Waffle House and every employee in the place cheerfully says GOOD MORNING, when you walk in the door.

fairsheet

Senator
My latest peeve is this new habit people being interviewed seem to've picked up, of starting all their answers with "So". Sometimes they'll start with the word "right", as well. Most of the time now though, it's "so".

It makes it sound as if the questions are simply setups for the answerer to launch into a prepared screed, rather than the questions and answers being extemperaneous. Of course..they were probably setups all along, but at least they used to give us the respect of faking it.

Jen

Senator
Mine are usually grammar related: people saying "John and I" when they should have said "John and me". That's huge.

Someone saying "it's a mute point" irks me.

And I avoid games with dice because no one seems to know the difference between "a die" and "some dice".

Then there's "flaunt" and "flout" ............

The one thing that REALLY irks me is when a murder has been committed and the person on the news says something like this: "The gentleman kidnapped the little girl and raped her before killing her". "Gentleman"??????? Really???? I've heard some of the most heinous criminals called "gentleman" by news reporters. I feel like slapping them when they do that.

Sheeeesh.

JackDallas

Senator
Supporting Member
Mine are usually grammar related: people saying "John and I" when they should have said "John and me". That's huge.

Someone saying "it's a mute point" irks me.

And I avoid games with dice because no one seems to know the difference between "a die" and "some dice".

Then there's "flaunt" and "flout" ............

The one thing that REALLY irks me is when a murder has been committed and the person on the news says something like this: "The gentleman kidnapped the little girl and raped her before killing her". "Gentleman"??????? Really???? I've heard some of the most heinous criminals called "gentleman" by news reporters. I feel like slapping them when they do that.

Sheeeesh.
I am a grammar tyrant. Your first peeve reminded me of a time when I was in a meeting with people from several different companies and functions. I was explaining the disposition of some paperwork and i said that soinso had given it to John and me; One woman, sort of attractive as i recall said, "John and I". I said, "what"? and she repeated he gave it to john and I". a guy at the table said "you better listen to her jack. she's a college graduate" So rather than do my usual disdainfull routine and make her look like a dumb ass I said to her. "So you're saying I should have said, he gave it to John and he gave it to I"?
That was all it took to show her she was wrong.

People often incorrectly say things like, "me and John are going to town", when if they would just think about what they are saying (John is going to town and me is goinfg to town) they wouldn't use poor grammar as much as they do.

JackDallas

Senator
Supporting Member
Yeah, and the, "That's a very good question". I almost expect their next line to be "and I wish I had an answer". Also the overused "at the end of the day" or 'in the final analysis".

Patrick

Council Member
My pet peeve is parents who don't parent. If their kids act up in a restaurant, they don't do anything about it and expect that the rest of us just have to endure.

My mother knew the basic rules of having kids. When they act up, you take them outside to calm them down. You don't ignore it and expect the rest of us to put with your brat's ear-piercing shrieks. And if that means having to come back into a restaurant to a cold meal, or missing part of the movie, then that's what you have to do. That's part of being a parent.

As for things that people do online, I hate frequently misspelled words, such as "rediculous" or "assinine." If you can't spell it, don't use it.

Redundant expressions annoy me, such as "irregardless." (And I don't care what the dictionary says; "irregardless" is not a word and never will be.) "Cash money" is something I've heard people use and I hate that expression. Other redundant expressions that annoy me include "ATM machine," "puppy dog," "kitty cat," "tuna fish," "past experience," or "past history."

When the Windsor's marriage failed, several articles described Diana as a "self-confessed adulteress." "Self confessed"? What other kind of confession is there?

fairsheet

Senator
Yeah, and the, "That's a very good question". I almost expect their next line to be "and I wish I had an answer". Also the overused "at the end of the day" or 'in the final analysis".
Oh...on THAT note, I disdain, "The fact of the matter is........". One thing I've come to learn over the years is that whatever follows, "The fact of the matter is....", is never the fact of the matter.

Zam-Zam

Senator
Those little things that annoy, irritate and piss us off. Here aqre a few of mine:

Stores (mainly convenience stores) with double doors and the keep the left door locked so everyone has to fight to get in and out the right door.

People who cut their eggs with a knife and fork, instead of just using the fork. My dad did it and it still annoys me.

Going to the Waffle House and every employee in the place cheerfully says GOOD MORNING, when you walk in the door.

People who say "It is what it is" and then act as if they've said something profound. In which instance is it not what it is?

People who casually throw the word "genius" around to describe someone who says things they agree with. "Genius" implies some superior cognitive ability or problem-solving skill, and is rare. I seriously doubt it exists in any politician. If it does, they are wasting their skill on something mundane.

People who toss the word 'war' casually "war on women", "War on ......"(fill in the blank). Most of these folks have never experienced war close-up and personal; if they had, they'd be less likely to be so cavalier about the term.

Hyperbole. It's becoming quite common.

The tactic of labeling someone a racist on scant evidence in order to discredit them rather than honestly debating their arguments.

Corruptbuddha

Governor
Jack, what have I told you about disparaging the Waffle House? It's simply the Greatest American Institution ever created!

By the way, how about the Waffle House songs on the Jukebox?

LOL..I love that stuff.

BrianDamage

Council Member
I am a grammar tyrant. Your first peeve reminded me of a time when I was in a meeting with people from several different companies and functions. I was explaining the disposition of some paperwork and i said that soinso had given it to John and me; One woman, sort of attractive as i recall said, "John and I". I said, "what"? and she repeated he gave it to john and I". a guy at the table said "you better listen to her jack. she's a college graduate" So rather than do my usual disdainfull routine and make her look like a dumb ass I said to her. "So you're saying I should have said, he gave it to John and he gave it to I"?

People often incorrectly say things like, "me and John are going to town", when if they would just think about what they are saying (John is going to town and me is goinfg to town) they wouldn't use poor grammar as much as they do.
One of my pet peeves is people mixing up affect and effect. It's simple to keep straight, after all. If something happens that affects you, then it had an effect on you.

Corruptbuddha

Governor
"I could care less" drives me up a wall.

If you could care less, then you do - at some level, care.

The proper expression is 'I couldn't care less.'

That ALWAYS sets my teeth on edge.

JackDallas

Senator
Supporting Member
Yep, all are very annoying, especially the parent thing. The misspelled words is a common problem. English is so diverse that I often have to think about how a commonly used woris spelled. We have words that end with able (doable; applicable, etc) and then feasible and fusible, etc. Ther's no rule, you just have to remember.

I love me some tuna-fish sandwiches. I can't help it. I grew up in Texas and it's always been tuna-fish.

Jen

Senator
Hah, Jack.........you should be in my house for a little while then. You'd see a crowd of grammar (and pronunciation) tyrants. I shed most of my Texas accent long before my children were born, but I still have a couple of little things left. Little, I tell you. All my kids roll their eyes when I say the number "ten" (so okay... I say "tin"). And they were practically rolling their eyes up into their heads when we went into a restaurant where there was a sign in the window saying "we do not except checks"......... O.M.G. You'd think there was offal on the floors there or something. :nod:

Jen

Senator
Oh yes, Patrick. When my children were little, I played keyboard for church. I lined my kids on the front pew when I started playing (until my husband got there to take care of them) and if they started wiggling I turned and glared at them and they knew what that meant (even if I didn't, since I didn't spank them). Mine were the best behaved children in that church.

And with most kids, when you take them out, you explain what the excursion will be (grocery store, church, whatever) and what is expected of them and it's usually okay. If they are babies...........don't take them. Heck.....it's miserable for a poor baby to be hungry or tired and be carted all over the place. Don't do it.

I grew up saying "tuna fish".....my mom said that......... I dropped that off early on. My kids would laugh me out of the house if I said that.

My pet peeve is parents who don't parent. If their kids act up in a restaurant, they don't do anything about it and expect that the rest of us just have to endure.

My mother knew the basic rules of having kids. When they act up, you take them outside to calm them down. You don't ignore it and expect the rest of us to put with your brat's ear-piercing shrieks. And if that means having to come back into a restaurant to a cold meal, or missing part of the movie, then that's what you have to do. That's part of being a parent.

As for things that people do online, I hate frequently misspelled words, such as "rediculous" or "assinine." If you can't spell it, don't use it.

Redundant expressions annoy me, such as "irregardless." (And I don't care what the dictionary says; "irregardless" is not a word and never will be.) "Cash money" is something I've heard people use and I hate that expression. Other redundant expressions that annoy me include "ATM machine," "puppy dog," "kitty cat," "tuna fish," "past experience," or "past history."

When the Windsor's marriage failed, several articles described Diana as a "self-confessed adulteress." "Self confessed"? What other kind of confession is there?

Jen

Senator
Bwaahahaha............... I say that all the time..........."it is what it is"........... eeeek. I need to quit that. But (hehe) it is what it is.

Patrick

Council Member
One of my pet peeves is people mixing up affect and effect. It's simple to keep straight, after all. If something happens that affects you, then it had an effect on you.
In the majority of cases, "affect" is the verb; "effect" is the noun. However, some exceptions.

"Affect" as a noun means "apparent mood." Example: He put on a happy affect.

"Effect" as a verb means "to bring about." This differs from "affect" in the sense that "affect" means to influence that which already exists, while "effect" (as a verb) means to bring about something that didn't exist.

So...which one is correct? "Do you think the U.S. presence has affected the situation in the Middle East?" Or "Do you think the U.S. presence has effected the situation in the Middle East?"

Actually, whichever one is correct depends upon what you're trying to say. If you're asking if the U.S. presence influences the situation that already exists in the Middle East, it's "affect." However, if you're asking if the U.S. presence has brought about a situation in the Middle East that did not previously exist, it's "effect."

Patrick

Council Member
Hah, Jack.........you should be in my house for a little while then. You'd see a crowd of grammar (and pronunciation) tyrants. I shed most of my Texas accent long before my children were born, but I still have a couple of little things left. Little, I tell you. All my kids roll their eyes when I say the number "ten" (so okay... I say "tin"). And they were practically rolling their eyes up into their heads when we went into a restaurant where there was a sign in the window saying "we do not except checks"......... O.M.G. You'd think there was offal on the floors there or something. :nod:
I'm so glad you understand the dynamics of parenting. Being a parent doesn't require any special skill; just working sexual apparatus. However, doing it right does take some skill, and that means teaching them where the appropriate places are to run and shout and play, and where behavior like that is not appropriate. Thank you so much for not inflicting badly-behaved children on the rest of us.

It's really unfair to be sitting in a restaurant, expecting to pay for an expensive meal and have a pleasant experience only to have it disrupted by unruly children who run tearing through the restaurants, while the parents just ignore the disruption their recalcitrant brats are causing, believing that it is their special right and privilege, as parents, to make the rest of us endure it.

My pet peeve regarding television is when the talking head gets done interviewing someone and says thank you to the guest, the guest says thank you back to the interviewer.

Has the whole world forgotten that the correct response to "thank you" is "you're welcome"?????

JackDallas

Senator
Supporting Member
Growing up I made a concerted effort to lose the Texas accent. When I came home from the Navy they said I sounded like a Yankee. I didn't really, and after years of living in Colorado I lost the harshness of the Texas brogue. I moved back home in 1995 and, hanging around my cousins, brought it back a little. But I strive to speak perfect grammar. I can write almost perfect grammar but I don't always speak like I write.