• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

Physics / Math Challenge:

NightSwimmer

Senator
I'd go slow for two reasons.

1. Minimize the addition of kinetic energy to the bridge structure, thereby avoiding a possible increase in the rate at which the ice is falling.

2. Increase the odds that I could stop in time to avoid falling ice that I observe ahead of me while crossing the bridge.

fairsheet

Senator
I'd go slow for two reasons.

1. Minimize the addition of kinetic energy to the bridge structure, thereby avoiding a possible increase in the rate at which the ice is falling.

2. Increase the odds that I could stop in time to avoid falling ice that I observe ahead of me while crossing the bridge.
N-Swimmer - CLEARLY, all the science is well beyond me. BUT, absent wind in the requisite direction, is it possible to do anything to increase the rate at which the ice falls?

D

Doc

I see two factors here:

#1. Going faster would possibly "shake" the bridge, thus resulting in some Ice being jarred loose.

#2. IF there was Ice around, my bet is that there was ICE on the road surface of the bridge (That tends to be the case with almost ALL bridges--they tend to hold water and ice longer, due to the construction). As such, "going slow" over potential ice pockets, is likely a wise choice.

But, I have no actual knowledge of the Bridge in question, or the environmental conditions.

A quick Third Point: In cases such as this, I tend to trust the Police, as they are likely privy to a lot more knowledge about the situation.

fairsheet

Senator
I see two factors here:

#1. Going faster would possibly "shake" the bridge, thus resulting in some Ice being jarred loose.

#2. IF there was Ice around, my bet is that there was ICE on the road surface of the bridge (That tends to be the case with almost ALL bridges--they tend to hold water and ice longer, due to the construction). As such, "going slow" over potential ice pockets, is likely a wise choice.

But, I have no actual knowledge of the Bridge in question, or the environmental conditions.

A quick Third Point: In cases such as this, I tend to trust the Police, as they are likely privy to a lot more knowledge about the situation.
All's I can say is that when it snows and "ices" hereabouts, it get us all pretty excited!

D

Doc

All's I can say is that when it snows and "ices" hereabouts, it get us all pretty excited!
Tell me about it.

We get a PREDICTION of Snow in these parts, and people rush the Grocery Stores, as if Armageddon is around the corner.

Then, when it does snow, the entire City reverts to 12-year olds, ready to get out of School/work, rush home, and play in the snow (or on the internet!)

Snow generally lasts for almost a day.....(but the Citiznes of Nashville, are well prepared for the REST of Winter....until another Snow is predicted and we all rush to the Grocery Stores to prepare again!)

Sometimes I wonder if Food Lion and Kroger don't have some kinda scam going on with the Weather Dudes and Babes.....

ya-ta-hey

Mayor
Yesterday up here in the PNW, the Tacoma Narrows Bridges were shut down, because of the danger of falling ice. These bridges are a major thouroughfare, so this is a big deal. Anyway...one of the backed-up cars was carrying a woman on her way to the hospital to have her broken wrist set. The police allowed this car to cross.

News reports say the car crossed at a "safe pace" of 30MPH (speed limit is 60). What would YOU have done? I would've gone 60+ to minimize my exposure too falling ice, even as if I'd encountered any, I'd have done so at twice the speed.

What do the math/physics say about this one?
Mr. Fair,

It would say never get in a car with a bad driver like you.

PhilFish

Administrator
Staff member
anecdotally I'd say..the faster you're going at point of impact..the greater the potential for injury..

fer example..if a deer crosses my path on the highway and I hit it at 30.... likely my bumper..hood..etc takes a beating...

if I hit it at 60 or better...it's likely crushing the front end and making its way on through the winshield...in a gory spray of red....

Phil. analyses anecdotally... and has seen this happen in PA.. highboy pickup v deer in road at 65+..... not good.

ya-ta-hey

Mayor
This is a good example about when too many egghead try to out-analyze something to death.

The reason traffic is slowed is because it's harder to aviod a traffic hazard, and takes longer to stop at 60 mph than it does at 30 mph.

fairsheet

Senator
anecdotally I'd say..the faster you're going at point of impact..the greater the potential for injury..

fer example..if a deer crosses my path on the highway and I hit it at 30.... likely my bumper..hood..etc takes a beating...

if I hit it at 60 or better...it's likely crushing the front end and making its way on through the winshield...in a gory spray of red....

Phil. analyses anecdotally... and has seen this happen in PA.. highboy pickup v deer in road at 65+..... not good.
When I fought forest fires for the DNR during my high school and college summers, we were caused to "endure" a several days-long defensive driving course. I didn't realize it then, but that class has stood me in good stead, ever since.

Anyway...they taught us that the worst animal you can enounter on the roadway, is a pig. They way what happens is you knock the pig down then your rig rolls up on top of the pig, lifting the front wheels of the road and sending you out of control.