• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

Pope Francis on climate change

JuliefromOhio

President
Supporting Member
Pope Francis lays out the argument for a new partnership between science and religion to combat human-driven climate change.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/acts-of-faith/wp/2015/06/18/read-pope-franciss-full-document-on-climate-change/

10 key excerpts with full text at the link:

1) Climate change has grave implications.

2)Rich countries are destroying poor ones, and the earth is getting warmer.

3) Christians have misinterpreted Scripture
and “must forcefully reject the notion that our being created in God’s image and given dominion over the earth justifies absolute domination over other creatures.”

4) The importance of access to safe drinkable water is “a basic and universal human right.”

5) Technocratic domination leads to the destruction of nature and the exploitation of people.

6) Population control does not address the problems of the poor.

7) Gender differences matter.

8) The international community has not acted enough.

9) Individuals must act.

10) By the way, why are we here on Earth in the first place?

So my right wing friend told me the Pope should just shut up about climate change. I like the guy so I did not crucify him (I know, bad choice of words). I did mention the guy has a masters degree in chemistry albeit my buddy did not even know enough to rebut me by saying it was not climatology but just applied chemistry. He gets his news from Fox which means his opinions are as shallow as the Aral Sea these days.

JuliefromOhio

President
Supporting Member
Tyson is noted for being a little too full of himself but....I'm not quite getting his twits here.
Tyson is a down to earth astrophysicist who's helping to make science interesting to children and adults alike. he's defending Pope Francis against the absurd accusations that he doesn't know what he's talking about re science and climate change.

fairsheet

Senator
Tyson is a down to earth astrophysicist who's helping to make science interesting to children and adults alike. he's defending Pope Francis against the absurd accusations that he doesn't know what he's talking about re science and climate change.
Thanks. As my background on this one is less than zero, it appeared that he was mocking The Pope.

Fast Eddy

Mayor
The Pope is wrong, there is no global warming. The trend is to get colder. He should stay on topics he knows. The science is settled, no Global Warming.

Mr. Friscus

Governor
The Pope is free to have interests such as this. I'm always interested to hear his perspective and hold it in high regard.

However, within the Catholic Faith, the Pope has very focused power.

The Pope is infalliable, but that doesn't mean he alone is always right. Most people outside of the Catholic church (and many within) are clueless about the Pope's true power and responsibility. The Pope is infalliable, but the term "infalliable" is almost aways ignorantly mis-interpretted, literally.

Papal infalliability is not "the pope singlehandedly decides what is right and wrong for every situation", like the media reports, and Protestants alongside atheists assume.

The Pope sins, and while he can claim dicta such as the Climate change remarks, his only responsibility is to God. And the Pope can't even act alone. Infalliability involves not only the Pope, but the entire body of bishops as a whole, who in unity teach what Church doctorine is true.

That's it. That's Papal infalliability.

So, yea... I think Julie is a bit premature in her ejaculation.

JuliefromOhio

President
Supporting Member
The Pope is free to have interests such as this. I'm always interested to hear his perspective and hold it in high regard.

However, within the Catholic Faith, the Pope has very focused power.

The Pope is infalliable, but that doesn't mean he alone is always right. Most people outside of the Catholic church (and many within) are clueless about the Pope's true power and responsibility. The Pope is infalliable, but the term "infalliable" is almost aways ignorantly mis-interpretted, literally.

Papal infalliability is not "the pope singlehandedly decides what is right and wrong for every situation", like the media reports, and Protestants alongside atheists assume.

The Pope sins, and while he can claim dicta such as the Climate change remarks, his only responsibility is to God. And the Pope can't even act alone. Infalliability involves not only the Pope, but the entire body of bishops as a whole, who in unity teach what Church doctorine is true.

That's it. That's Papal infalliability.

So, yea... I think Julie is a bit premature in her ejaculation.

the Pope is not infallible. he was not speaking ex cathedra on climate change.

I for one consider his comments about our only home to be quite sensible, moral and profound. He finally admits to the church and to the world that our Earth is the only home we have, the creatures in it are precious, the beauty of it is endless and that by our actions, we can either preserve it or destroy it. The moral thing to do is to do our very best to care for it and leave the next generation a better world than we inherited. Bravo sir, bravo.

Mr. Friscus

Governor
the Pope is not infallible. he was not speaking ex cathedra on climate change.
Indeed.

It's just amazing to hear the narrative of the media, and the assumptions made by the lay people, inside and outside of the church.

Again, I'm certainly interested in what the Pope says. Sometimes, I think what he warns about and what he demands are twisted or treated as the same thing.

JuliefromOhio

President
Supporting Member
Indeed.

It's just amazing to hear the narrative of the media, and the assumptions made by the lay people, inside and outside of the church.

Again, I'm certainly interested in what the Pope says. Sometimes, I think what he warns about and what he demands are twisted or treated as the same thing.
just so there's no confusion, Pope Francis is absolutely correct on climate change.