1. Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?
    Dismiss Notice

Postal System to end Saturday deliveries Aug 5th

Discussion in 'Government Offices and Programs' started by Spamature, Feb 6, 2013.

1. Spamature

Spamature President

2. lupehernandezdepedajack

lupehernandezdepedajack Mayor

I wish they would put an end to junk mail... There is no bigger waste in trees and energy than junk mail

3. lupehernandezdepedajack

4. Bo-4

Bo-4 Senator

Yep, no doubt the do-nothing Congressional Republicans are licking their chops and collecting more dirty money from private carriers over this first step to privatization.

Personally, i can do without Saturday delivery.. but the 75 year pre-funding of pension plans requirement was one of the dirtiest Republican tricks in history.

5. lupehernandezdepedajack

So in essence you are saying thanks to Republicans technology has replaced the letter carrier and the need to hand deliver millions upon millions of communications each day.

Gee I always thought you were big on technology whats up with that?

6. NightSwimmer

NightSwimmer Senator

You know that I'm not a Republican, but I feel the need to come to their defense on this one. The postal service is bleeding money, and it has more to do with the Internet than with the Republicans' penchant for privatizing each and every government service. I don't see how the postal service can avoid cost cutting measures. Raising their postage prices would only reduce the volume of mail that they currently handle.

That being said, the existence of the postal service was required by the Constitution and the operation of the postal service was privatized to a great extent back in the early 1980s. When that was done, a unique requirement for the postal service to maintain a large retirement fund account placed a significant financial burden upon them.

7. Bo-4

Bo-4 Senator

No, that's not at all what i said but i always admire your spin Lupe. USPS will be fine as they have adapted with the times with a myriad of new products and services.

Honestly.. do you know of ANY US company (Government, Public or Private) that's been forced by Congress to pre-fund pension plans for 75 years?

8. lupehernandezdepedajack

Thats all fine and well but you are definately not addressing the root cause of USPS woes and its not pension funds the pension fund funding is just another result of the root cause and it ain't Republicans.

9. NightSwimmer

NightSwimmer Senator

Could you translate that to human?

10. Bo-4

Bo-4 Senator

Doth someone havest a Lupe Interpretor?

11. lupehernandezdepedajack

How do you know it's not already in human?

12. Bo-4

Bo-4 Senator

Lol, i doubt that ANY human (RW or otherwise) could translate these guys, or -- eh HUMANS (remind you of something? ;-) ...

awac.450F.edgecastcdn.net_80450F_guyspeed.com_files_2012_10_Meanalienas2.

13. NightSwimmer

NightSwimmer Senator

I was just being silly Lupe, but I did have difficulty understanding your point.

Do you see the postal service problems as a partisan issue?

14. lupehernandezdepedajack

It is not partisan sadly the postal carrier will go the route of the stage coach and the town crier replaced by technology

15. NightSwimmer

NightSwimmer Senator

Perhaps. However, dissolving the postal service will require a constitutional amendment.

16. fairsheet

fairsheet Senator

Sunday delivery? (USPS trivia). The USPS actually delivered mail on Sundays, until the early 1920's. It wasn't stopped for cost reasons. It seems it was the "religious lobby" that put the kibosh on it.

17. lupehernandezdepedajack

Oh yeah..I remember that

okay I really don't remember that far back.

18. NightSwimmer

NightSwimmer Senator

I do remember Blue Laws. When I was growing up, it was illegal to operate most businesses on Sunday. It is still illegal to sell alcohol on Sunday where I live.

19. 888888

888888 Council Member

The two biggest things are the funding in advance that no other govt program has to do, and that congress won't pass the laws allowing the post office to run their business like other business do. There are many things that the post office could do but aren't allowed under the rules passed by congress that would make them more proficient and making money.

20. NightSwimmer

NightSwimmer Senator

The USPS, like the Federal Reserve, is one of those odd quasi-governmental agencies now that it has been partially privatized. Some folks would call what has been done with the postal service an example of fascism. I'd tend to agree.