• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

Postal System to end Saturday deliveries Aug 5th

trapdoor

Governor
The Postal Service Reorganizatoin Act, that turned the postal service from a cabinet department to a quasi-governmental entity, was signed by Richard Nixon in 1970. He was not a proponent of the act, which was pushed through Congress mostly by members of the Democratic Party, which held both chambers at the time. Calling this "Republican privitization" is a mis-read, at best.

I'm sad to see the Saturday delivery go. But the sad fact is, I too am an example of the problem. Twenty-five years ago I kept up an epistolary relationship with my father and at least three cousins, plus a girlfriend, all via the U.S. mail. Today, I'm in touch with most of the same people (Dad's gone), but it's via email, text messaging and Facebook. I haven't needed to buy a postage stamp in almost two years.

The Postal Service Reorganizatoin Act, that turned the postal service from a cabinet department to a quasi-governmental entity, was signed by Richard Nixon in 1970. He was not a proponent of the act, which was pushed through Congress mostly by members of the Democratic Party, which held both chambers at the time. Calling this "Republican privitization" is a mis-read, at best.

I'm sad to see the Saturday delivery go. But the sad fact is, I too am an example of the problem. Twenty-five years ago I kept up an epistolary relationship with my father and at least three cousins, plus a girlfriend, all via the U.S. mail. Today, I'm in touch with most of the same people (Dad's gone), but it's via email, text messaging and Facebook. I haven't needed to buy a postage stamp in almost two years.
I used one stamp last year and I'm fixin to use my annual postage stamp again to mail out HOA dues everything else is done electronically. Thank goodness for "Forever" stamps cause I still have 8 stamps for 8 annual HOA fees

NightSwimmer

Senator
The Postal Service Reorganizatoin Act, that turned the postal service from a cabinet department to a quasi-governmental entity, was signed by Richard Nixon in 1970. He was not a proponent of the act, which was pushed through Congress mostly by members of the Democratic Party, which held both chambers at the time.

Bullshit. Winton Blount proposed the idea and Richard Nixon sent the bill to Congress.

In May 1969, four months after he became a member of President Richard Nixon's Cabinet, Postmaster General Winton M. Blount proposed a basic reorganization of the Post Office Department. The President asked Congress to pass the Postal Service Act of 1969, calling for removal of the Postmaster General from the Cabinet and creation of a self-supporting postal corporation wholly owned by the federal government.

How could Nixon have not been a proponent of the act when he was the very one who proposed it? Maybe you don't understand what the word "proponent" means?

That is sad... Ya know, it's not absolutely necessary to stop sending cards and letters just because you email and facebook... just sayin'.

I really don't care one way or the other about Saturday delivery. Hell, I thought it was a new-fangled invention anyway, but, apparently, that's because where I grew up, they never had Saturday delivery. I send a card out to my sweetie just about every day (except Saturdays, because the mail carrier just gets here waaaaay too early to be up on Saturday.)

I LOVES the Postal Service. I always have. Nothing better than getting something nice in the mail.... ;)

As an aside, HOA's, on the other hand, are a bunch of whiney whiners with nothing better to do than ride around the neighbourhood nitpicking...I wish they'd take our dues annually instead of rubbing it in 4 times a year that some whiner is going to take your money, do nothing in return, AND inform you that, somehow, some miniscule detail on your property doesn't conform to some standard that isn't even mentioned in the rules and regulations...

This was supposed to be in response to trapdoor... I guess I've been on hiatus so long, I've forgotten how to use this thang! ;)

That is sad... Ya know, it's not absolutely necessary to stop sending cards and letters just because you email and facebook... just sayin'.

I really don't care one way or the other about Saturday delivery. Hell, I thought it was a new-fangled invention anyway, but, apparently, that's because where I grew up, they never had Saturday delivery. I send a card out to my sweetie just about every day (except Saturdays, because the mail carrier just gets here waaaaay too early to be up on Saturday.)

I LOVES the Postal Service. I always have. Nothing better than getting something nice in the mail.... ;)

As an aside, HOA's, on the other hand, are a bunch of whiney whiners with nothing better to do than ride around the neighbourhood nitpicking...I wish they'd take our dues annually instead of rubbing it in 4 times a year that some whiner is going to take your money, do nothing in return, AND inform you that, somehow, some miniscule detail on your property doesn't conform to some standard that isn't even mentioned in the rules and regulations...
Yes I agree with everybody around here calling each other Nazis Just to make a point I think we can all agree that HOAs are nothing but neighborhood Nazis. And they are such a backwards operation they have no way to make an electronic payment forcing me to buy stamps that I will probably lose before I use all of them. I guess that's a plus for the USPS

fairsheet

Senator
Back in the mid-70's, I went 'cross country to university in mid-town Manhattan. I lived at the "Y". About all I lived for, was the daily mail delivery from my girlfriend, friends, and family back home. Mail took either 1 week or 6 weeks to get from point "A" to point "B". If it didn't get there in a week, you knew it would take 6 weeks. I don't know where the hell it went in the meantime.