• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

Question about the rules

Arkady

President
I guess if you all get together and all agree that you can name call all you want then I guess thats what you want and we won't have that rule anymore. But it doesn't seem that your PJ friends agree with you. I don't think any of them like being called names and the number of reports seem to be higher than ever from both sides.

I feel the name calling is out of control and takes away from the debates and has no place on a message board especially if we ever want to get a new poster.

Name calling is childish.

I hope everyone realizes moderators don't have time to read anything but the reported posts.
If we're voting, I'd vote for no censorship based on name-calling. However, I understand I'm probably in the minority on that.

Sunset Rose

Mayor
Supporting Member
I guess if you all get together and all agree that you can name call all you want then I guess thats what you want and we won't have that rule anymore. But it doesn't seem that your PJ friends agree with you. I don't think any of them like being called names and the number of reports seem to be higher than ever from both sides.

I feel the name calling is out of control and takes away from the debates and has no place on a message board especially if we ever want to get a new poster.

I hope everyone realizes moderators don't have time to read anything but the reported posts.
Thank you, SW. I agree with you 100%. Name calling is childish. This is a political message board. We come here to debate political issues and current events.
I believe your rules are fair and easy to follow.

Jen

Senator

I don't care what names I am called. My ego is not balanced on what some dufus calls me. When I turn someone in for that it is flatly because it's a rule break. Rules are there for a purpose. Either they mean something or they don't. I have always said less is better (regarding rules).

If someone insults/ threatens my husband or children........or if someone threatens to kill me in real life........ or if someone posts a threat to blow up the world.......... THAT is worthy of a rule. Otherwise, someone getting upset over being called a name is just them being butthurt. And that's kind of funny.

Thank you, SW. I agree with you 100%. Name calling is childish. This is a political message board. We come here to debate political issues and current events.
I believe your rules are fair and easy to follow.
If there were anyone on here more deserving of an insult, than you Sunset Rose, I would be very hard pressed to even imagine who that could be, as an individual -- in groups of 10 maybe but in 1s or 2s -- nah. You take the cake.

SW48

Administrator
Staff member
Supporting Member
I didn't watch her awards speech. What, specifically, did she say that you're talking about?
She was speaking about sexual abuse and used the example of the "6 white guys" that raped a black girl on her way home from church many years ago.

Why bring race into an issue like sexual abuse?

You Arkady had said "The thing that people do that identifies themselves as rapists is when they obsess over crimes when committed by people of whatever races they have a problem with, while blithely ignoring similar crimes by other races."

And I responded by saying "Like what Oprah did in her awards speech?"

What you said is exactly what she did. In a time of great awareness about sexual abuse she singled out a story about whites doing wrong. Very disappointing from someone I genuinely like.

If we're voting, I'd vote for no censorship based on name-calling. However, I understand I'm probably in the minority on that.
I don't think that you are.

I have always felt that the only censorship should be of; serious and real threats, outing another poster, boring repetition in some cases - and any breaking of laws

Jen

Senator
I would vote for that..... no censorship based on name-calling.
Threats - yes.
Name-calling nah. Who cares?

No. It depends on one's conception of "race." If you consider Germans to be a race and you hate people for belonging to that race, then that would be racist. Similarly, if you consider Nigerians to be a race and hate people for belonging to it, then that would be racist. If, on the other hand, you consider Germans to be an ethnicity within the white race, and you hate Germans for their ethnicity but like others you consider to be members of the same race, then that's bigoted, but not racist. Similarly, if you consider Nigerians to be an ethnicity within the black race, and you hate Nigerians for their ethnicity but like others you consider to be members of the same race, then that's bigoted but not racist.

I think most people in the Western World tend to think of race in terms of those bigger blocks, like "white," "black," "Arab," etc., and that group-based hatreds tend to clump together on those bases (for example, the typical person here who has a dislike of black people doesn't care if their ancestors came from West Africa, like most African Americans, or East Africa, like Obama.) Their prejudice against Obama wasn't based on a preconception about people with Kenyan ancestry, specifically, but rather based on a preconception about people with African ancestry, generally.

I did, the last time we discussed it. As you know, they were prosecuted with the assistance of the police, which is the opposite of police protection.

And why are the general and accepted perceptions so narrow?

No, they protect both the gangs and the Big Wigs.

Dawg

President
Supporting Member
She was speaking about sexual abuse and used the example of the "6 white guys" that raped a black girl on her way home from church many years ago.

Why bring race into an issue like sexual abuse?

You Arkady had said "The thing that people do that identifies themselves as rapists is when they obsess over crimes when committed by people of whatever races they have a problem with, while blithely ignoring similar crimes by other races."

And I responded by saying "Like what Oprah did in her awards speech?"

What you said is exactly what she did. In a time of great awareness about sexual abuse she singled out a story about whites doing wrong. Very disappointing from someone I genuinely like.
it's why most know she's a racist and she doesn't hide that fact...........she didn't say old blacks need die to end racism, she said whites........she must think all the old Black Panthers are dead...............they not, nor is Jesse and Sharpton

Sunset Rose

Mayor
Supporting Member
Why is it important to be able to call people names? Is that what we come here for? No. At least it's not supposed to be what we come here for. We are all adults. We come here to discuss politics and what is going on in the world. We should be as courteous to the people here on this forum as we are to people we meet in real life.
That is my opinion.