• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

Question

lilly

Council Member
what he gave you was someone's formula off the net. This is how someone who is slow would do such an easy problem. Most of us did it in our heads in about half the time it took him to copy it.
I'm sure he could do it in his head at half the time as well. But it was correct.

mark14

Council Member
easy, V = a/t squared

Where V is the speed in miles per hour, a is the acceleration of gravity, and t is the time in seconds after you drive through the guardrail on the cliff overlooking your starting point.
Total nonsense. The acceleration of gravity is measured in meters/sec/sec and the velocity at a given time equals the initial velocity plus acceleration times time or V = Vo + at.

mark14

Council Member
Ok I'll admit I'm wrong if it makes you happier, but it would seem to me the answer to 'how many cartons' would need a definitive answer like the author of the question gives.
Good for you. I appreciate that but not all questions have definitive answers especially if you don't ask the question right.

Also I didn't post

"The answer isn't 11 and the answer isn't 12. The answer is, 11 OR 12."

nor did you post

"This is part of the original question.

You go girl,

never simply admit when you are wrong."

I wonder if the "Reply with Quote" function isn't functioning.

That and I like you and you are a heck of a good looking woman Lilly... ;-)

lilly

Council Member
If I answer again ban me please. (smile)Yes, It looks like the quote function is not working.

This link (#6) will show you I copied the question on Page 3 here post 30 exactly as it is on the link so I didn't ask the question incorrectly and the formula worked perfectly (yet I agree not the formula about the car)

http://www.mathwarehouse.com/riddles/math-riddles.php

Guess they didn't ask it correctly but OMG I'm still wondering .....or forget it.

Really I admit if I'm wrong here on PJ and even say I'm sorry and I wasn't being stubborn, I just couldn't see if the formula was right how it could not be the only answer but I was wrong.

Let's do this again sometime, like in maybe a hundred years.

fairsheet

Senator
If I answer again ban me please. (smile)Yes, It looks like the quote function is not working.

This link (#6) will show you I copied the question on Page 3 here post 30 exactly as it is on the link so I didn't ask the question incorrectly and the formula worked perfectly (yet I agree not the formula about the car)

http://www.mathwarehouse.com/riddles/math-riddles.php

Guess they didn't ask it correctly but OMG I'm still wondering .....or forget it.

Really I admit if I'm wrong here on PJ and even say I'm sorry and I wasn't being stubborn, I just couldn't see if the formula was right how it could not be the only answer but I was wrong.

Let's do this again sometime, like in maybe a hundred years.
There are 24 socks in the drawer - 12 brown and 12 black. The room is dark. You can only pull out 1 at a time. What's the minimum number you'd have to pull out, to guarantee yourself a pair of black socks?

mark14

Council Member
There are 24 socks in the drawer - 12 brown and 12 black. The room is dark. You can only pull out 1 at a time. What's the minimum number you'd have to pull out, to guarantee yourself a pair of black socks?
If you want to make this a trick question then two as all socks are black in a dark room or if you look at them as you do it two would also be a minimum to get a pair, but to be guaranteed at least two black socks the minimum (and maximum) required is 14 , or just 3 if you want any color matching pair.

Or I can say you only have to pull out one drawer.

My kids like the riddle what would you rather have a tiger eat you or a gorilla?

NightSwimmer

Senator
Alternative Answer

The bat cost $1.00, the ball was free with the purchase of the bat and the sporting goods store assesses a 10% excise tax on all purchases. ;)

fairsheet

Senator
If you want to make this a trick question then two as all socks are black in a dark room or if you look at them as you do it two would also be a minimum to get a pair, but to be guaranteed at least two black socks the minimum (and maximum) required is 14 , or just 3 if you want any color matching pair.

Or I can say you only have to pull out one drawer.

My kids like the riddle what would you rather have a tiger eat you or a gorilla?
Mark...for the record, your (14) is correct. That was one of the riddles raised in Logic class, in the context of learning "The Pigeon Hole Principle".

fairsheet

Senator
I've always hated word play equations because there's an assumption of perfect interpretation of problem statement
We've all taken multiple-choice tests that contained at least one "flawed question" that didn't HAVE one correct answer. That's why I think all such tests should offer a fifth choice - (E) Question can't be answered.

gabriel

Governor
i can see it was no struggle cause you got it 100% wrong, pal
No struggle involved. That was the first thing off the top of my head. Average 30 mph going up; you gotta at least do 60 going down plus compensate for the slower rate going up.

NightSwimmer

Senator
Wrong. Average velocity is the the sum of the velocities times the times traveled at those velocities divided by the total time, not just the sum of the velocities divided by the number of velocities. See above.
You're right! That's what I get for jumping to Jack's defense without thinking first. :(