• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

Question

MaryAnne

Governor
We are all watching the Demonstrations and the rioting. It seems a group is moving from city to city inciting the destruction.

My question is,how can we try to revive those inner cities that have been devestated by the loss of manufacturing and other jobs.

What do you think could be done to help the young jobless.?

What if Congress cut some of the bloated Military that can not even be audited? Take the money from useless programs. Where?

What if job plans were set up to provide training and decent jobs for the unemployed? Based on an updated version of the Civilian Conservation Corp that built our highways, planted saplings that are our huge forests of today? Helped stop the erosion that caused the drought.

Seed money would start the program,rebuild and refurbish the cities.

Please put aside your political views for this. We have a human problem not a political. Both parties are responsible for what we have now. What can we do? Positive responses will be appreciated.

Thanks

Dino

Russian Asset
We are all watching the Demonstrations and the rioting. It seems a group is moving from city to city inciting the destruction.

My question is,how can we try to revive those inner cities that have been devestated by the loss of manufacturing and other jobs.

What if Congress cut some of the bloated Military that can not even be audited? Take the money from useless programs. Where?

What if job plans were set up to provide training and decent jobs for the unemployed? Based on an updated version of the Civilian Conservation Corp that built our highways, planted saplings that are our huge forests of today? Helped stop the erosion that caused the drought.

Please put aside your political views for this. We have a human problem not a political. Both parties are responsible for what we have now. What can we do? Positive responses will be appreciated.

Thanks
The "inner city" (nice code wording btw) problems begin here:

In some cases, the gap between the cities, with their large concentrations of working class and poor residents, and the suburbs is even greater. The widest discrepancies cited in the report are in Baltimore, Maryland, where only 34.6 percent of public high school students graduate, and its suburbs, where 81.5 percent acquire diplomas after four years, and in Columbus, Ohio, with a graduation rate of 40.9 percent as compared to 82.9 percent in the suburbs.
The city-suburb split is also immense in such metropolitan centers as New York (47.4 percent vs. 82.9 percent), Cleveland (42.2 percent vs. 78.1 percent), Philadelphia (49.2 percent vs. 82.4 percent), Chicago (55.7 percent vs. 84.1 percent), Los Angeles (57.1 percent vs. 77.9 percent), and Atlanta (46.1 percent vs. 61.8 percent).
A separate chart showing the graduation rates for the principal school districts in the 50 largest US cities points to the virtual collapse of public education in major urban centers.

http://www.wsws.org/en/articles/2008/04/scho-a03.html
If students can't, or refuse to, get a good education what possibility for productivity or gainful employment do they have?
Punitive taxation that "socks it" to industry and causing them to move off to other locations doesn't help.
A welfare system that continues to reward the non-productive provides perverse disincentives to our lower economic classes.

You can ask for solutions that don't involve politics, but that is almost impossible due to the public being mislead from the top down.

MaryAnne

Governor
The "inner city" (nice code wording btw) problems begin here:

In some cases, the gap between the cities, with their large concentrations of working class and poor residents, and the suburbs is even greater. The widest discrepancies cited in the report are in Baltimore, Maryland, where only 34.6 percent of public high school students graduate, and its suburbs, where 81.5 percent acquire diplomas after four years, and in Columbus, Ohio, with a graduation rate of 40.9 percent as compared to 82.9 percent in the suburbs.
The city-suburb split is also immense in such metropolitan centers as New York (47.4 percent vs. 82.9 percent), Cleveland (42.2 percent vs. 78.1 percent), Philadelphia (49.2 percent vs. 82.4 percent), Chicago (55.7 percent vs. 84.1 percent), Los Angeles (57.1 percent vs. 77.9 percent), and Atlanta (46.1 percent vs. 61.8 percent).
A separate chart showing the graduation rates for the principal school districts in the 50 largest US cities points to the virtual collapse of public education in major urban centers.

http://www.wsws.org/en/articles/2008/04/scho-a03.html
If students can't, or refuse to, get a good education what possibility for productivity or gainful employment do they have?
Punitive taxation that "socks it" to industry and causing them to move off to other locations doesn't help.
A welfare system that continues to reward the non-productive provides perverse disincentives to our lower economic classes.

You can ask for solutions that don't involve politics, but that is almost impossible due to the public being mislead from the top down.
All very good points,Dino, all true.
Of course the solution will have to be Political, but I just wanted answers such as yours.

Joe Scarborough was on a roll I agreed with this morning,that we need to stop rebuilding other Countries,cut the Bloated Military budget. Congress is trying to add more money to the Military and cut programs that are helping people,plus more tax cuts for the wealthy.

That is not working and needs to be changed.

Thanks for your answer. What do you suggest needs to be done?

Thanks
top 10 ways to help the "young jobless"

10 - encourage them to stay in school the dropout rate in some inner city high schools is 50%

9 - stop legalizing pot, and take a stiffer line on other narcotics

8 - GED programs for people who've already dropped out

7 - drug rehab and counselling

6 - curtail the ongoing illegal immigration disaster, which staffs virtually every entry level urban job with mexicans . . .

5 - end the farce of "unpaid internships". that's slavery. pay people when they work

4 - more trade/skill connections between high schools and unions/companies. people used to be directed to carpentry, metal working, plumbing, "automotive science", electrician, HVAC and related trades if they had no interest (or grades) for college.

3 - stop using prison labor for road cleanup, telemarketing etc. that's virtuallyl a form of slavery too

2 - what happened to programs like CCC (civilian conservation corps), the peace corps, etc?

1 - the media should spend less time glorifying sports stars, rappers, and other entertainers, and feature more stories on local people - public sector and private - doing "good news" things

Barbella

Senator

10 - encourage them to stay in school the dropout rate in some inner city high schools is 50%

6 - curtail the ongoing illegal immigration disaster, which staffs virtually every entry level urban job with mexicans . . .

5 - end the farce of "unpaid internships". that's slavery. pay people when they work

4 - more trade/skill connections between high schools and unions/companies. people used to be directed to carpentry, metal working, plumbing, "automotive science", electrician, HVAC and related trades if they had no interest (or grades) for college.

3 - stop using prison labor for road cleanup, telemarketing etc. that's virtuallyl a form of slavery too

2 - what happened to programs like CCC (civilian conservation corps), the peace corps, etc?

1 - the media should spend less time glorifying sports stars, rappers, and other entertainers, and feature more stories on local people - public sector and private - doing "good news" things
I agree with all your points, ASOTV. Specifically, I'd like to point out #4... I've been talking about this issue forever, it seems... to no avail. Americans have been brainwashed to think college is a 'must' in order to get a good job, and have a future. This is, of course, all about money, as is everything else... specifically, the colleges' money...

In Germany, for instance, university is pretty much free. Great, right? BUT... and here's the point... far from EVERYONE goes to college. Even when I was young there was a study/work program for many professions, from business to carpentry to plumbing, cooking, electrician etc. An APPRENTICESHIP, in other words.

In Germany, kids who didn't want to go to college stopped going to school at 14 and entered a work program where they worked 4 days a week in their chosen profession, and continued with their education 1 1/2 days/week.

Lot of wasted, useless study hours and money saved. Germans know what they're doing.... :)

MaryAnne

Governor
All very good ideas.

The only one I might ask about is Drugs. Too many in jail now for minor offenses. I would go after the big sellers.

But that is an excellent list.

Thanks

The CCC was disbanded at the beginning of the war, young men were being drafted. By the middle of the war they were taking men up to the age of 37 with one child. My Dad was 35.

Some of those program exist, but are not in those places that need them so badly but a really good list. We need a new version to provide jobs and rebuild the city.

SW48

Administrator
Staff member
Supporting Member

Thanks
I agree. Close some military bases and use the money to start an inner city reconstruction program.

Addy

Rebuild With Biden!
I like SW's suggestion and for those uninspired/unmotivated unemployed, also maybe offer them an incentive for signing up and staying the course with a new job.
Some young people need more encouragement than others.

Klunker

Council Member
I honestly believe money spent on reconstruction of blighted areas is pouring money down the proverbial rat hole. You could give most of those living there new homes and they wouldn't pay the utility bills, letting pipes freeze. They would refuse to maintain the property and in just a few years you would see trash piles in yards, broken windows, screen doors broken, carpet stained and never cleaned for years.... on and on and on.
Heard a "reporter" on NPR, today, explain why the Baltimore thugs had attacked CVS and the new mall. She said those things should never have been constructed there. "Those type businesses portray the big corporations who won't help us. They deserve getting robbed and vadalized!" What?? She also said it wasn't fair to have these new business buildings while the neighborhoods were in shambles. Lady, get off your "victim chair" and organize some folks to begin cleaning up the neighborhoods. Nope! Let's let the government do it for us. After all, they pay us to not work..........

Dawg

President
Supporting Member
I honestly believe money spent on reconstruction of blighted areas is pouring money down the proverbial rat hole. You could give most of those living there new homes and they wouldn't pay the utility bills, letting pipes freeze. They would refuse to maintain the property and in just a few years you would see trash piles in yards, broken windows, screen doors broken, carpet stained and never cleaned for years.... on and on and on.
Heard a "reporter" on NPR, today, explain why the Baltimore thugs had attacked CVS and the new mall. She said those things should never have been constructed there. "Those type businesses portray the big corporations who won't help us. They deserve getting robbed and vadalized!" What?? She also said it wasn't fair to have these new business buildings while the neighborhoods were in shambles. Lady, get off your "victim chair" and organize some folks to begin cleaning up the neighborhoods. Nope! Let's let the government do it for us. After all, they pay us to not work..........
building HUD PROJECTS is a Contractor Dream..........guaranteed job for eternity......build them and they will destroy them and build them back better over and over..........been there done that.........and the Government=taxpayers have paid for this damnation since before 1965.........

Dawg

President
Supporting Member
I like SW's suggestion and for those uninspired/unmotivated unemployed, also maybe offer them an incentive for signing up and staying the course with a new job.
they wouldn't take a job as a Pie taster in a pie factory.........why should they when welfare is promised..........take the welfare away and they will find a JOB

as proved now in NC

RickWA

Snagglesooth
they wouldn't take a job as a Pie taster in a pie factory.........why should they when welfare is promised..........take the welfare away and they will find a JOB

as proved now in NC
Ok, then can I have the "pie QA/QC" job?

RickWA

Snagglesooth
just had a chicken gizzard/hearts pie and it was 'wonderful'
Wifey and I go round and round on this (for more than 2 decades). Pies, crisps, betties, and cobblers are FAR superior to cake.

She disagrees.

I need a good peach cobbler about now...still warm, a little lump of vanilla ice cream melting on top.

It's your fault, Dawg, for reminding me of yet another of my many weaknesses.
BAD DAWG! :)

BobbyT

Governor
Pay the parents of these children a decent wage so they can work ONE job and support the family instead of having to work two or three. Provide decent, affordable daycare so the parents can put their children into a safe learning pre-school environment and don't have to quit their jobs because they'll be arrested if they leave their children home alone. Provide decent housing and ensure that landlords keep up with the routine maintenance. Provide these three things and children grow up with adequate nutrition, well-rested and interested parents who have the time to spend with their children to ensure they are keeping up with schoolwork, and decent housing. Neglect these three, as we have been doing, and we get parents who are struggling just to keep food on the table and working too much to be available to the kids, kids who don't get decent pre-school education and spend too much time fending for themselves, and children who are living in a run-down tenement that their parents have neither the time nor the resources nor the tools to keep in repair.

People all over are pretty much the same - they want to be happy, they want happy healthy children, they want to feel like capable responsible adults. Take away that ability and pay them so little that they don't have time to spend taking care of their children's needs beyond food and clothing and shelter, and we have grinding poverty that turns out young adults that see no real future and, before they're mature enough to make good decisions, follow the road they see before them - that of continuing mere survival.

Drumcollie

* See DC's list of Kook posters*

Thanks
Simple ask what would a liberal do...then do the opposite. After 50 years of democrats running Baltimore...you can see why it's a positive response. Seriously you can't say that you think you need to do more of what hasn't worked.

MaryAnne

Governor
Simple ask what would a liberal do...then do the opposite. After 50 years of Democrats running Baltimore...you can see why it's a positive response. Seriously you can't say that you think you need to do more of what hasn't worked.
Drum collie. I asked that this not turn into a political thread.

Your posts are just more of the same stuff.

We need to start working together instead of more hate everything you do not like. It is so easy to sit and critisize. Little harder to try and solve problems.

Thanks to those who posted constructively.

MaryAnne

Governor
That was one smart Reporter, not!

That is why I have mostly given up on ignorant pundits. They call themselves Reporters, but are a major part of our problems in this country.people sit glued to their TV and repeat what they hear.

I just got rid of Time Warner,found some very good Documentaries that simply say where we are going wrong,with out laying blame on either side. We know that is true. It has become much too easy to simply blame the other side.