• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

Reagan's Benghazi

RickWA

Snagglesooth

JuliefromOhio

President
Supporting Member
I see you have yet to actually read the column. when you do, I'll be interested in your comment. till then, good night.

RickWA

Snagglesooth
I see you have yet to actually read the column. when you do, I'll be interested in your comment. till then, good night.
No dice. I read it. You do not get to have it both ways (though, as lefty, you seem to think that your birthright). I've not made posts about Benghazi. You have. Are you now on record as indemnifying President Obama or damning him? Are you damning President Reagan or indemnifying him?
It's your post. What is your stance?

ElGringo

Mayor
All this thread tells me is that Reagan is the Presidential benchmark whether you liked him or not.

"It's OK because Reagan did it!" ...blah blah blah.

BRU

Mayor
No dice. I read it. You do not get to have it both ways (though, as lefty, you seem to think that your birthright). I've not made posts about Benghazi. You have. Are you now on record as indemnifying President Obama or damning him? Are you damning President Reagan or indemnifying him?
ouchy

NightSwimmer

Senator
All this thread tells me is that Reagan is the Presidential benchmark whether you liked him or not.

"It's OK because Reagan did it!" ...blah blah blah.

I understand the point of this thread. It is intended to mock gross hypocrisy.

Of course, all hypocrites will fail to get it.

Arkady

President
The point isn't to indemnify or damn Obama. It's to call attention to the glaring double standard among conservatives, who obsess, over a year later, over communications confusion following a minor security incident, even though they never seem to care about much bigger events that happen under Republican presidents.

ElGringo

Mayor
I understand the point of this thread. It is intended to mock gross hypocrisy.

Of course, all hypocrites will fail to get it.
I understand the point of the thread too, it's using Reagan as an excuse to accuse people of gross hypocrisy. The OP could have done the same thing by focusing on Bush/Cheney but went with Reagan instead.

Of course, all apologists will fail to get it.

Arkady

President
I understand the point of the thread too, it's using Reagan as an excuse to accuse people of gross hypocrisy. The OP could have done the same thing by focusing on Bush/Cheney but went with Reagan instead.

Of course, all apologists will fail to get it.
You could easily go with Bush/Cheney. There were a series of successful attacks on our facilities in Pakistan during the Bush years that never created a witch hunt like we've seen over Benghazi, so you can set up a pretty clear comparison between the standards of Democratic and Republican opposition in the House using the Bush years, too. But I get why the article used the Reagan years. First, the writer was present in Beruit, which makes for more compelling writing. Second, as horrible as those Bush-era attacks were, in terms of devastation and serial security failures, they can't really compare to the Reagan era disasters in Lebanon, which were vastly deadlier and include much more obvious and inexcusable security failures and much more glaringly incompetent leadership by the president. If Obama had been president during something like what happened in Pakistan under Bush, the Republicans would be treating us to an even more frantic version of the Benghazi-style scandal mongering. If Obama had been president during something like what happened in Lebanon under Reagan, we'd be seeing a full scale impeachment.

Caroljo

Senator
This is left wing opinion piece. She's just trying to make excuses and cry "but he did it too!". I don't care what OTHER Presidents did, it's over and we should learn from it....and not make excuses because the president we have now is a liar. She also doesn't get that it isn't the fact that the attack happened....(although there was no excuse for not giving them more security ahead of time)...it's that he and his SOS LIED about it for weeks. DUH.....

Arkady

President
This is left wing opinion piece. She's just trying to make excuses and cry "but he did it too!". I don't care what OTHER Presidents did, it's over and we should learn from it....and not make excuses because the president we have now is a liar. She also doesn't get that it isn't the fact that the attack happened....(although there was no excuse for not giving them more security ahead of time)...it's that he and his SOS LIED about it for weeks. DUH.....
No. You misunderstood the article. Try rereading. The main point isn't to compare Reagan and Obama. The point is to compare the REACTION to each. Compare how Democrats in control of the House responded to the catastrophic, repeated security failures in Lebanon to the way Republicans in control of the House have responded to one relatively small security failure in Libya.

GordonGecko

President
I guarantee a Reagan Cultist like Zheepdawg either thinks the Beirut attack was Jimmy Carter's fault or the Democratic Congress' fault....

or hell, he's such a Reagan worshippper he probably doesn't even believe it happened. :D

Constitutional Sheepdog

][][][%er!!!!!!!
I guarantee a Reagan Cultist like Zheepdawg either thinks the Beirut attack was Jimmy Carter's fault or the Democratic Congress' fault....

or hell, he's such a Reagan worshippper he probably doesn't even believe it happened. :D
Reagan's dead and gone. But did he give the order to set up camp at the Beirut airport?

GordonGecko

President
Reagan's dead and gone. But did he give the order to set up camp at the Beirut airport?
So when it's REAGAN.....any problems are the fault of the commanders in the field. When it's OBAMA.....he has "direct control" of every buck private manning a watch-post? I see.

Zheeepdawg......Reagan never walked on water, nor turned water into wine. Just thought you ought to know. :)