• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

Recently I was fortunate enough to be able to spend a week in the South...

I'm not necessarily going to commit myself to equal numbers of Black and white employees, considering that in most parts of the U.S. Blacks are a relatively small minority. But I absolutely think there should be laws with quotas to ensure that opportunities at all levels are open to people of any race.

I also don't think there's anything "natural" about the weight of hundreds of years of institutionalized racism, reflected in present-day power structures including ongoing naked racial violence.
It is a tough one for me - not that I do not believe in equal chances for all but because those equal chances should bring the best person for the task not for any other reason than that they are the best choice --- law cannot bring that, it just can't.

Craig

Senator
Supporting Member
I'm still amazed it took someone a "week in the south" to "find out" black people are nice.

It is a tough one for me - not that I do not believe in equal chances for all but because those equal chances should bring the best person for the task not for any other reason than that they are the best choice --- law cannot bring that, it just can't.
This Is What Has Turned Our Talent Pool Into a Puddle

College being work without pay will not bring the best person to the task. If you listen to professional commentators on education, you will miss that only relevant point because they refuse to admit it into the debate. So race-based admissions are as destructive as the unrecognized Affirmative Action for brownnoses who are afraid to grow up and for rich kids living off an allowance. That covers the whole student body. Preppy Progressives have only made it worse, because they themselves never should have been allowed in an institution that rules over a democracy.

EatTheRich

President
And you think we'll be more likely to select the best person if we don't do anything to address the pattern of unequal opportunity?

EatTheRich

President
You said
"And you think we'll be more likely to select the best person if we don't do anything to address the pattern of unequal opportunity?"
What does systemic discrimination mean to you?
Systemic discrimination means that due to interlocking structural factors, qualified people of oppressed groups--such as Blacks--are as a matter of predictable statistical regularity passed over in favor of less qualified people of privileged groups--such as whites.

Constitutional Sheepdog

][][][%er!!!!!!!
Systemic discrimination means that due to interlocking structural factors, qualified people of oppressed groups--such as Blacks--are as a matter of predictable statistical regularity passed over in favor of less qualified people of privileged groups--such as whites.
That's a total crock of shit
Affirmative action caused qualified whites to be passed over for less than qualified minorities I know for a fact that blacks back in the 80's were given points on their placement test for state jobs in North Carolina.

And you think we'll be more likely to select the best person if we don't do anything to address the pattern of unequal opportunity?
We? Democracy is only ok up to a point old bean! Who is we?

That isn't actually what I said was it? I said that was my problem with it -

Craig

Senator
Supporting Member
That's not what she meant you shmuck.
It's exactly what she said...

Lots of black people down there. All of the ones I saw were super nice, polite, lovely people... and that's when it occurred to me... hit me square between the eyes, so to speak, who the real racists are.

That comment is disgusting. It took her nearly 70 years...and a "week in the south" to find "super nice" black people.

Constitutional Sheepdog

][][][%er!!!!!!!
It's exactly what she said...

Lots of black people down there. All of the ones I saw were super nice, polite, lovely people... and that's when it occurred to me... hit me square between the eyes, so to speak, who the real racists are.

That comment is disgusting. It took her nearly 70 years...and a "week in the south" to find "super nice" black people.
Toad what you said was not what she meant.

EatTheRich

President
That's a total crock of shit
Affirmative action caused qualified whites to be passed over for less than qualified minorities I know for a fact that blacks back in the 80's were given points on their placement test for state jobs in North Carolina.
If Blacks have to be much better at abstract thinking to get the same number of questions right on the placement tests, just because it asks about things our culture has deprived them of exposure to, shouldn't that superiority be reflected in the scores? The fact is that when affirmative action programs were more robust (in the 1970s and 1980s), workforces tended to be both more diverse and more capable. The military, in which affirmative action can be a life-or-death decision, strongly supports affirmative action in the belief that it will result in the strongest possible military.