• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

Reduce trade deficits; increase job numbers and median wage.

Supposn

Council Member

Any nation suffering chronic annual trade deficits of goods would benefit if they adopted a unilateral global trade policy of transferable Import Certificates.

Refer to the Wikipedia web site entitled “Import Certificates”.

The policy indirectly but effectively somewhat would subsidize of USA’s exported goods. The policy’s variable effects upon prices of USA gods to foreign purchasers and foreign goods prices to USA purchasers behave inversely to each other; [i.e. the policy’s market rather than government driven]. It’s not pure free global trade but it is pure competitive enterprise.

Its direct costs are eventually and entirely passed on to USA purchasers of foreign goods.

The policy is of advantage to any enacting nation that would otherwise suffer chronic annual trade deficits of goods. If we consider importing and exporting as a single global trade industry, it is of advantage to those nation’s enterprises that compete or aspires to compete with foreign goods within or beyond their borders.

For reference google Wikipedia’s article entitled “Import Certificates”.

Respectfully, Supposn

fairsheet

Senator

Any nation suffering chronic annual trade deficits of goods would benefit if they adopted a unilateral global trade policy of transferable Import Certificates.

Refer to the Wikipedia web site entitled “Import Certificates”.

The policy indirectly but effectively somewhat would subsidize of USA’s exported goods. The policy’s variable effects upon prices of USA gods to foreign purchasers and foreign goods prices to USA purchasers behave inversely to each other; [i.e. the policy’s market rather than government driven]. It’s not pure free global trade but it is pure competitive enterprise.

Its direct costs are eventually and entirely passed on to USA purchasers of foreign goods.

The policy is of advantage to any enacting nation that would otherwise suffer chronic annual trade deficits of goods. If we consider importing and exporting as a single global trade industry, it is of advantage to those nation’s enterprises that compete or aspires to compete with foreign goods within or beyond their borders.

For reference google Wikipedia’s article entitled “Import Certificates”.

Respectfully, Supposn
The problem with this idea is the same as it is for broad scale "cap and trade" schemes. We would be artificially monetizing something, that hitherto, hasn't been monetized. We'd be creating wealth and value out of thin air. To the extent we have direct oversight over the process, as we did with "The Clean Air Act of 1990", it can be made to work. There's no way in hell we can exercise the necessary control over something like "Import Certificates".

I continue to believe that our best way of attacking the specific issue referred to above, would be via a carbon tax. Although some people appear to be blind to this factoid, America currently holds a considerable "green" advantage over most all of its overseas competitors. A carbon tax would enable us to monetize that advantage.

Supposn

Council Member
... There's no way in hell we can exercise the necessary control over something like "Import Certificates". ...
FairSheet, what is there regarding the concept of transferable Import Certificates that you believe is unfeasible? What do you perceive as uncontrollable?

The federal government has been assessing values of goods for as long as our nation has existed. The goods values are at their U.S. ports of entry or exit and expressed in U.S. dollars. It is important that the methods of assessing all goods be approximately similar to retain their correct valuation of shipments in proportion to each other. Assessment guide lines would be annually reviewed and when the review indicates the necessity, the guide lines would be annually updated.

Other than the assessment of goods, this market rather than government driven proposal grants government no discretion of judgment or policy.

Respectfully, Supposn

fairsheet

Senator
FairSheet, what is there regarding the concept of transferable Import Certificates that you believe is unfeasible? What do you perceive as uncontrollable?

The federal government has been assessing values of goods for as long as our nation has existed. The goods values are at their U.S. ports of entry or exit and expressed in U.S. dollars. It is important that the methods of assessing all goods be approximately similar to retain their correct valuation of shipments in proportion to each other. Assessment guide lines would be annually reviewed and when the review indicates the necessity, the guide lines would be annually updated.

Other than the assessment of goods, this market rather than government driven proposal grants government no discretion of judgment or policy.

Respectfully, Supposn

"Transferable Import Certificates" - as I said, represent NEW artificial wealth and value created out of whole cloth. I also suggested that that idea CAN work on a smaller and more circumscribed level. But, the level you're talking about is too big and difficult to monitor and control.

Supposn

Council Member
"Transferable Import Certificates" - as I said, represent NEW artificial wealth and value created out of whole cloth. I also suggested that that idea CAN work on a smaller and more circumscribed level. But, the level you're talking about is too big and difficult to monitor and control.
FairSheet, I inquired as to what is there regarding the concept of transferable Import Certificates that you believe is unfeasible? What do you perceive as uncontrollable?

Precisely what is it that you consider so difficult to monitor and control?

Respectfully, Supposn

fairsheet

Senator
FairSheet, I inquired as to what is there regarding the concept of transferable Import Certificates that you believe is unfeasible? What do you perceive as uncontrollable?

Precisely what is it that you consider so difficult to monitor and control?

Respectfully, Supposn

You are assigning value to something (import/export rights), that didn't previously have a marketable value. In order to pull that off, you need to have control over that "artificial currency" and assure yourself that it's all being put to your use. You're naïve (which I assume you're not!) to assume that at least some people or entities, won't try to advantage themselves of this artificial value, contrary to your intent.

Supposn

Council Member
You are assigning value to something (import/export rights), that didn't previously have a marketable value. In order to pull that off, you need to have control over that "artificial currency" and assure yourself that it's all being put to your use. You're naïve (which I assume you're not!) to assume that at least some people or entities, won't try to advantage themselves of this artificial value, contrary to your intent.
FairSheet, you are evading the question; precisely what specific tasks do you believe this policy would require of the federal government you consider to be beyond the capabilities of our nation?

Consider that by far the most expensive task that this proposal requires of the government is assessing the values of goods. The proposal requires the assessment fees be set to defray the entire direct federal costs due to this trade policy.

Exporters of U.S. goods CHOOSE, (they are not required) to request that their goods be assessed and agree to pay the federal fees.

Exporters of U.S. goods would be motivated to acquire the valuable transferable Import Certificates. There's no penalty upon exporters of U.S. goods that may choose to have their goods not be assessed and pay no fees prior to their goods being shipped from the USA.

Respectfully, Supposn

Last edited: