• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

Religious Freedom Law and the Right to Discriminate

Carlsen

MQ-1 warrior drone
A legislative battle over religious freedom and gay rights ended today when Indiana Governor Mike Pence signed the bill into law. I believe people to have right to discriminate. Do you agree with this law and do you think other states will have similar laws to this?
http://www.indystar.com/story/news/politics/2015/03/25/gov-mike-pence-sign-religious-freedom-bill-thursday/70448858/
Apple CEO Tim Cook leads opposition to this law:
http://www.nbcnews.com/tech/tech-news/apples-tim-cook-other-tech-ceos-blast-indiana-religious-freedom-n331736

Gov. Mike Pence's action followed two days of intense pressure from opponents — including technology company executives and convention organizers — who fear the measure could allow discrimination, particularly against gays and lesbians.
Pence and leaders of the Republican-controlled General Assembly called those concerns a "misunderstanding."
"This bill is not about discrimination," Pence said, "and if I thought it legalized discrimination I would have vetoed it."
Governor Mike Pence has signed the bill into law and it already is met with a lot of opposition

Apple CEO Tim Cook who is gay leads opposition to Religious Freedom Law and says it discriminates against gay people. He is calling on Arkansas Governor to veto HB1228 which is similar to Indianas Religious Freedom Law

Zoar

Governor
No surprise this legislation is drawn straight down partisan party lines. The Party of Hate and Fear wants this law with all their hearts. The Party of inclusion and openness and communication sees this law for what it is: Xenophobia, bigotry, intolerance of those who are different.

A legislative battle over religious freedom and gay rights ended today when Indiana Governor Mike Pence signed the bill into law. I believe people to have right to discriminate. Do you agree with this law and do you think other states will have similar laws to this?
http://www.indystar.com/story/news/politics/2015/03/25/gov-mike-pence-sign-religious-freedom-bill-thursday/70448858/
http://www.nbcnews.com/tech/tech-news/apples-tim-cook-other-tech-ceos-blast-indiana-religious-freedom-n331736

Governor Mike Pence has signed the bill into law and it already is met with a lot of opposition

Apple CEO Tim Cook who is gay leads opposition to Religious Freedom Law and says it discriminates against gay people. He is calling on Arkansas Governor to veto HB1228 which is similar to Indianas Religious Freedom Law

Fundi religion and fundi secularism ---- fundi fighting fundi ----

Craig

Senator
Supporting Member

Disagree, wholeheartedly.

Justice for ALL...not just heterosexual Christians...

People can discriminate, public business cannot. The religious organization Disciples of Christ are enraged over this discriminatory bill.

Carlsen

MQ-1 warrior drone

People can discriminate, public business cannot. The religious organization Disciples of Christ are enraged over this discriminatory bill.
White People that discriminate will be accuse of hate crime :(

good post, craig. i don't know what was in pence's mind when he signed this, but certainly not the outcry that it triggered.

goodbye stealth presidential campaign, governor pence.

on the other hand, besides the indy 500, is there actually any indianapolis tourist or "event" money which would go to other states in protest? its not exactly on anyone's short list of places to see before they die. and this is now another reason

White People that discriminate will be accuse of hate crime :(

Carlsen, America is unlike anywhere else --- negative discrimination is in its DNA, it is a white settlers Land where the 'black man' was their slave and or indigenous to the Land they stole.
For Europeans to try to understand; since our negative discrimination is not inherent, as in they were formed later and from a different stand point, of first an Empirical superiority, then in a sense, feeling we were being invaded ourselves ( not a judgment or a statement of fact just an observation of peoples perceptions). Plus European anger is mainly focused on our Politicians first forcing and then not controlling the intake of immigrants --- hence all the Laws to quell the unrest --- Laws to cover up their follies and detour them into the catagory of hate crimes. And yes, though the actual situation has changed very little, the indigenous European, in Law, will be prosecuted where as the immigrant will not be - giving an illusion of equality by passing and confusing any truth ---

BitterPill

The Shoe Cometh
Supporting Member
Carlsen, America is unlike anywhere else --- negative discrimination is in its DNA, it is a white settlers Land where the 'black man' was their slave and or indigenous to the Land they stole.
For Europeans to try to understand; since our negative discrimination is not inherent, as in they were formed later and from a different stand point, of first an Empirical superiority, then in a sense, feeling we were being invaded ourselves ( not a judgment or a statement of fact just an observation of peoples perceptions). Plus European anger is mainly focused on our Politicians first forcing and then not controlling the intake of immigrants --- hence all the Laws to quell the unrest --- Laws to cover up their follies and detour them into the catagory of hate crimes. And yes, though the actual situation has changed very little, the indigenous European, in Law, will be prosecuted where as the immigrant will not be - giving an illusion of equality by passing and confusing any truth ---
I think both you and Carlsen don't understand. A person can be a bigot, discriminating on the basis of national origin for example, without being arrested for a hate crime or any other crime. If discriminating against folks were a hate crime, more than half this forum would be in prison.

gigi

Mayor
According to Pence, this is a state version of the RFRA that Clinton signed. If there is some language in the bill that makes it okay legally for business owners to refuse to allow gay folks the opportunity to do business in their establishments, please point me?

I think both you and Carlsen don't understand. A person can be a bigot, discriminating on the basis of national origin for example, without being arrested for a hate crime or any other crime. If discriminating against folks were a hate crime, more than half this forum would be in prison.
I know, I have lived here long enough ;)