• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

Remember during the GWB admin., the Repubs voted against raising min. wages...

Okay, the Rethugs (those that are) want to keep their money.... the top 1%. But, tell me what is fair about always voting against the "little guy" and always protecting the "rich guy!???" :clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2:

Donahue

Council Member
The fairest thing, as I see it, would be to leave employers and employees to make their own agreements that they can live with. I don't know why an employee should be forced into a deal they don't want to make anymore than an employer should be.

I don't know that fair has much to do with it though.

NightSwimmer

Senator
The fairest thing, as I see it, would be to leave employers and employees to make their own agreements that they can live with. I don't know why an employee should be forced into a deal they don't want to make anymore than an employer should be.

No. The concept of fairness doesn't enter into that thought process whatsoever.

Donahue

Council Member
That sounds more like a partisan cop out to me.

It's wrong to force an employee into making a deal he doesn't want to but that doesn't mean it is right to force an employer into a deal he doesn't want to make.

MaryAnne

Governor

Welcome, Donahue,but you are no relation of mine.

trapdoor

Governor
Work, labor, is no different from any other commodity -- say for example, gasoline.

When prices go up, people buy less gasoline.

When the minimum wage goes up, what do employers do?

trapdoor

Governor
Raise their prices... but, referring to the way this appears to the average joe out there.
OK, you say they raise their prices -- does that help those who can least afford a price increase, ie: minimum wage earners? The other alternative is that when the price of a commodity increases, consumers by less of it, so they would hire fewer minimum wage employees, also a negative outcome, no?

degsme

Council Member
OK, you say they raise their prices -- does that help those who can least afford a price increase, ie: minimum wage earners?
Well either you believe in Supply Side Econ or you don't. You don't get to sit on both sides of the fence. Under "supply side" theory, the wealthy consume more and thus overall price increases would affect them more.

The reality of course is that the economy is NOT linear. That the COGS on low income folks WILL NOT go up nearly as fast as the wage raise (assuming it stays below the right threshold). Nor will the wealthy be the primary spenders on this. A rise in minimum wage does in and of itself primarily affect the middle class:

Why?

Well a busboy making minimum wage at Lutesse (or any other fancy restaurant) increasing his wages by 10% will NOT really affect the cost of food at that restaurant. but the busboy making minimum wage at The Spaghetti Factory WILL increase their costs pretty measurably.

OTOH, since the lowest quintile of earners are THE MOST EFFICIENT SPENDERS the general increase in GDP will offset that wage increaase for the middle class - assuming you have a tax and fiscal policy that does not concentrate the wealth from GDP growth into the upper quintiles.

There is also the moral dimension which is based upon a desire to have labor compensated well enough for them to prosper and survive. Individuals do not have any bargaining power against employers without unions, laws or regulations forcing the employers hand. Labor is not as flexible as one would think. If a job is lost in Tampa but opens up in Sacramento, the person in Tampa will not move or even know about it. The key to any model must be how well it suits the entire labor force and allows for a modest rate of return on capital. There is a reason human history has labeled greed one of the deadly sins. Poverty is not a sin nor is it a sentence, it could be a stepping stone to a better future if the goal of the model or policy makers is to create such an environment.