• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

Reparations for slavery?

The Union soldiers were brave men. I appreciate their sacrifice.
It is Western culture that stopped the slave trade and tried to stop it in the rest of the world. Slavery continues in Africa and Asia. Slavery was the norm until predominantly Christian white men said not anymore.

Sunset Rose

Mayor
Supporting Member
What do you think would be just?
1)Free scholarships for African-American students with a desire and good enough grades to attend a 4 year college.
2)Free down payments to buy a home for African-American people who wish to buy a house. The buyers would need to have a steady job earning enough money to pay the monthly mortgage, of course.

I don't support giving each and every African-American a set amount of money. I do support helping those who are trying to help themselves.

Sunset Rose

Mayor
Supporting Member
My ancestors and the ancestors of the vast majority of Americans were slaves and serfs at some point. Who is going to pay our reparations?
Were your ancestors slaves in the USA? Was their enslavement based on their skin color? Who was it that enslaved them?
Once you answer these questions you will know where to start.:)

Sunset Rose

Mayor
Supporting Member
Did these people get reparations?

Internment of German Americans
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
German American internment

Locations of internment camps for German enemy aliens during World War II.
Date 1917–1919
1939–1946
Location United States
The internment of German Americans refers to the detention of German nationals and German-American citizens in the United States during the periods of World War I and of World War II. During World War II, the legal basis for internment was under Presidential Proclamation 2526, made by President Franklin Delano Roosevelt under the authority of the Alien and Sedition Acts.[1]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internment_of_German_Americans
Did the Germans ever seek reparations? From reading the article it seems all they wanted was an apology.

Sunset Rose

Mayor
Supporting Member
How about these people of Italian descent? Were they given reparations?

Note how anarchist Italian immigrants bombed America: https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/americanexperience/films/bombing-wall-street/#part01

So it isn't like concern weren't valid that immigrant groups could attack America on behalf of their homelands.

Internment of Italian Americans
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Italian American internment
Date 1941–44
Location United States
The internment of Italian Americans refers to the government's internment of Italian nationals in the United States during World War II, similar to that of the Internment of Japanese Americans and Internment of German Americans. As was customary after Italy and the US were at war, they were classified as "enemy aliens" and some were detained by the Department of Justice under the Alien and Sedition Act. But in practice, the US applied detention only to Italian nationals, not to US citizens, or long-term US residents.[1] Italian immigrants had been allowed to gain citizenship through the naturalization process during the years before the war, and by 1940 there were millions of US citizens who had been born in Italy.

In 1942 there were 695,000 Italian immigrants in the United States. Some 1,881 were taken into custody and detained under wartime restrictions; these were applied most often by the War Relocation Authority to diplomats, businessmen, and Italian nationals who were students in the US, especially to exclude them from sensitive coastal areas. In addition, merchant seamen trapped in US ports by the outbreak of war were detained. Italian labor leaders lobbied for recognition as loyal (and not enemy aliens) those Italian Americans who had initiated naturalization before the war broke out; they objected to blanket classification of Italian nationals as subversives.

In 2001 the US Attorney General reported to Congress on a review of treatment by the Department of Justice of Italian Americans during World War II. In 2010, the California Legislature passed a resolution apologizing for US mistreatment of Italian residents during the war.[2]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internment_of_Italian_Americans
Seems like all the Italians wanted was an apology, also. I didn't see anything about reparations in this article.
One thing to keep in mind is that being interned for a few years was nothing like being a chattel slave from cradle to grave. I'm not making light of the suffering of the German and Italian people, but their history is somewhat different than African-American people's history.
Also, the Germans and Italians both were able to blend into White society after the war was over. African-Americans could not.

Sunset Rose

Mayor
Supporting Member
There were black men who owned slaves deep in the south too.

http://listverse.com/2017/06/06/top-10-black-slaveowners/
Thanks for sharing these stories. Whenever I read about Blacks who owned slaves I always think, "They were lucky not to be sold into slavery themselves". That's what happened to Soloman Northrup (he wasn't a slave owner, he was a musician). He was a free Black man who was sold into slavery. The movie "Twelve Years a Slave" was based on his life.
Those Blacks who owned slaves were ignorant and short sighted. They should have been trying to end the institution that held their brothers and sisters in bondage.

Fast Eddy

Mayor
We have paid for reparations. Look at the welfare Blacks soak up, Look at all the cost of disproportionate costs of blacks in prison. Everywhere you look you can see extra cost to society brought about by blacks. If you look at everything, I think they need to pay us.

Sunset Rose

Mayor
Supporting Member
We have paid for reparations. Look at the welfare Blacks soak up, Look at all the cost of disproportionate costs of blacks in prison. Everywhere you look you can see extra cost to society brought about by blacks. If you look at everything, I think they need to pay us.
1) You have not paid for reparations.
2) There are more Whites on welfare than Blacks in the USA.
3) There are more Blacks in prison because the criminal justice system is racist. A Black person and White person committing the same crime will likely receive different sentences, with the Black person receiving the harsher sentence.

Have a nice day, Fast Eddy.

Jen

Senator
1) You have not paid for reparations.
2) There are more Whites on welfare than Blacks in the USA.
3) There are more Blacks in prison because the criminal justice system is racist. A Black person and White person committing the same crime will likely receive different sentences, with the Black person receiving the harsher sentence.

What else you got?
Anyone seeking money for some sort of reparations ...........needs to have actually been a slave. No one living has been a slave (except to the Democratic Party - the party of willing slaves).
The FACT that a black person can be President of the USA and black people can rise to as high a position and receive as much or more money than the rest of us shows that the most important reparation has been paid.................... that of keeping a black person down to a low level of existence.

Demanding money is just plain old greed.

PhilFish

Administrator
Staff member
Can you frame what exactly these reparations are? Is this financial? Societal? Educational?

EatTheRich

President
They have received their Reparations maybe their ancestors should have thought about the future and invested their payment so it would collect dividends
Very few received the 40 acres and a mule they were promised by the president ... less than 1%. On the other hand, hundreds of thousands of freedmen invested in the Freedman Savings Bank as they were urged to do by the Freedmen's Bureau, and lost everything when the bank collapsed.

EatTheRich

President
Your choice to deny Blacks jobs and put them in prison at disproportionate rates. Take some responsibility!

EatTheRich

President
Why haven't African-Americans ever received reparations for slavery? Many African-Americans believe they should be compensated for the all the unpaid labor, and suffering that their ancestors went thru during American slavery.
The Jewish people received reparations from the Germans for the holocaust during WW2. The Japanese people received reparations from the US govt for being locked in internment camps during WW2 also. Doesn't the enslavement of one's ancestors entitle a person to reparations?
Did you happen to see this?
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2016/09/27/u-s-owes-black-people-reparations-for-a-history-of-racial-terrorism-says-u-n-panel/?utm_term=.bf0573458374

Malcolm X was a big believer in going through the UN to fight for justice ... and maybe that made sense when the U.S. dominated the UN and relied so much more on it. I'd expect the U.S. just to ignore a UN HRC report now.

What I dislike is the idea that a handful of Japanese citizens living in Hawaii collaborating with Japan justifies putting U.S. citizens living in California in concentration camps based on their race.
How many Japs died in gas chambers while waiting for the war to end?

Thanks for sharing these stories. Whenever I read about Blacks who owned slaves I always think, "They were lucky not to be sold into slavery themselves". That's what happened to Soloman Northrup (he wasn't a slave owner, he was a musician). He was a free Black man who was sold into slavery. The movie "Twelve Years a Slave" was based on his life.
Those Blacks who owned slaves were ignorant and short sighted. They should have been trying to end the institution that held their brothers and sisters in bondage.
How about the black men in Africa who sold blacks to white men? What were they? Men who learned the slave trade centuries before dealing with the Arabs?

Seems like all the Italians wanted was an apology, also. I didn't see anything about reparations in this article.
One thing to keep in mind is that being interned for a few years was nothing like being a chattel slave from cradle to grave. I'm not making light of the suffering of the German and Italian people, but their history is somewhat different than African-American people's history.
Also, the Germans and Italians both were able to blend into White society after the war was over. African-Americans could not.
Nothing stops people from immigrating from less desirable places to more desirable ones. Black Americans have always had the choice to go back to Africa.