• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

Reparations for slavery?

Sunset Rose

Mayor
Supporting Member
The U.S. government was a slave government too. Not to mention companies that profited from slavery which eventually became Citigroup, Exxon-Mobil, Amoco, Chevron, DuPont ...
Thank you, EatTheRich. I think I heard that Aetna Insurnace Co. was in the slave business too. As well as one of the big schools, I can't think of the name right now.

Sunset Rose

Mayor
Supporting Member
The name of the school was Georgetown University. In 1838 the school sold 272 enslaved persons that they owned; they were having financial problems. A few years ago the descendants of some of the slaves uncovered this story. To make amends the school offered several of the college age descendants free scholarships to the school. They also re-named some of the buildings on the school grounds, to reflect more diversity.
I admire Georgetown's actions; it was a nice way to pay reparations to the descendants of those enslaved people.

The name of the school was Georgetown University. In 1838 the school sold 272 enslaved persons that they owned; they were having financial problems. A few years ago the descendants of some of the slaves uncovered this story. To make amends the school offered several of the college age descendants free scholarships to the school. They also re-named some of the buildings on the school grounds, to reflect more diversity.
I admire Georgetown's actions; it was a nice way to pay reparations to the descendants of those enslaved people.
My people were enslaved by Egyptian blacks, many of whose descendants undoubtedly found their way to America. Gimme money.

bdtex

Administrator
Staff member
The U.S. government was a slave government too. Not to mention companies that profited from slavery which eventually became Citigroup, Exxon-Mobil, Amoco, Chevron, DuPont ...
Individual plaintiffs and classes of plaintiffs have to prove that that were personally damaged and the amount of damages have to be proven. What has it been...153 years since slavery was abolished?

EatTheRich

President
FWIW, slavery is still a legal and ongoing practice in the U.S. The thirteenth amendment, section one, reads:

Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as a punishment for crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction.

This creates a huge loophole for the prison-industrial complex.

Constitutional Sheepdog

][][][%er!!!!!!!
FWIW, slavery is still a legal and ongoing practice in the U.S. The thirteenth amendment, section one, reads:

Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as a punishment for crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction.

This creates a huge loophole for the prison-industrial complex.
Slavery is still acceptable in Africa, I'm not sure exactly what makes you think it's leagal in America. Maybe it's Cuba you are thinking about. The leader of the free world lol

Charcat

One of the Patsy's
Sunset, why do YOU feel like you are entitled to reparations? What is your family history? How long were you a slave?

Reactions: Jen