• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

Republican Economic Policies

Council Member
Just to be clear, when Democrats blame GWB for driving the American economy into a ditch and leaving a mess for the Obama Administration, they are using GWB as a symbol for GWB AND a Republican Congress AND a set of misguided economic policies (fiscal and regulatory).

In other words, you can't really blame GWB directly. You have to place the blame on failed Republican economic policies. What you see this year among all the major Republican candidates is a rehash and a doubling down on the same failed disastrous policies that were promoted by Republicans during the Bush years. Why go back to the same set of misguided policies that dug the hole.

The economy is beginning to come around. Though Republicans will promise a new dawn, what they will deliver is the same old misery.
There is only one thing that is for sure with Republicans, if the economy comes around it will somehow become Bushes and their doing it, and if it stays slow or worse it will be of course Obama and the Democrats fault.

degsme

Council Member
Any period where your debt is growing faster than GDP for more than a few quarters, it is bad news.
Really? So coming out of the worst economic crash in human history, the 2nd worse as a percentage of GOP and one of the top three (all caused by conservative economic policies) - you expect that 820,000 jobs lost per month and an annuallized GDP collapse of -9% is going to turn around "in a few quarters"!!!???!!!

RIGHT..

We lost TWO FULL YEARS of AVERAGE GDP growth in the collapse. And you expect that to regrow in a couple of quarters???!!!??

Wow you really do think that Obama is a Saviour

Council Member
Any period where your debt is growing faster than GDP for more than a few quarters, it is bad news.
The same can be said for you Lukey, working to destroy the economy and then using that as proof that someone else is to blame is normal for those on the right. They blame everything that happens from their inability to run the govt as the other sides fault, and everything that does go right, is magically because of them.

Three years of working against America after causing the problems of America is what their history is and always will be no matter how hard they try to say it isn't.

degsme

Council Member
There is only one thing that is for sure with Republicans, if the economy comes around it will somehow become Bushes and their doing it, and if it stays slow or worse it will be of course Obama and the Democrats fault.
What is telling is that GWB was basically Ronald Reagan but with a rubber stamp GOP congress. And GWB's fiscal crash was caused by the same policies Reagan's S&L crash was - just broader.

And yet somehow, these conservatives think GWB was somehow different than Reagan.

Dino

Russian Asset
LMFAO!

Welfare reform hurt the economy??

Now I've heard everything. You'e so finished.

degsme

Council Member
LMFAO!

Welfare reform hurt the economy??
yup. it cut funds to the sector of the economy that has among the highest Fiscal Multipliers
it increased poverty rate of children by more than 20% (today 1:6 children are poor)
It increased the rate of homeless children, which in turn increases criminal costs

yup it hurt the economy.
And you cannot show different.

FACTS MATTER.
got any?

Dino

Russian Asset
Facts usually require some back-up. Census numbers say you're full of crap.

19.8% below povert in 1996, 19.2 in '97, 18.3% in '98, 16.6% in '99 and then 15.8% in 2000.

So yeah, good luck with your made up BS.

Showed different huh? You showed nothing.

degsme

Council Member
Facts usually require some back-up. Census numbers say you're full of crap.

19.8% below povert in 1996, 19.2 in '97, 18.3% in '98, 16.6% in '99 and then 15.8% in 2000.

So yeah, good luck with your made up BS.

Showed different huh? You showed nothing.
What was GDP growth rate at the time?
What was the GDP linked rate of poverty reduction prior to Workfare?
What was the effect on poverty in the 2001 recession as a result of Workfare?

hint here is where you can do that research http://www.irp.wisc.edu/

Dino

Russian Asset
Hint: get a hint. I already debunked you and your made-up "facts".

Talk to yourself if you want to try to convince anyone at this point.

MaryAnne

Governor
Many of you fail to even mention that the Obama Administration is already cutting the size of Government.Just today an article came out about how much waste and fraud has been cut from Medicare.

The old pay and then chase is gone.They have to prove they are legitimate agency,and many are being fingerprinted and Photo ID's.

They are shutting down store front places and personally checking.They have saved billions just this year. This is just one example of savings.
Obama has also asked to combine a group of agencies that are not necessary,or duplicates.

You have some one who is minding the store now and Joe Biden is the guy in charge for all the bad mouthing of him. He is doing the same thing Gore did for Clinton.

When you let places grow for 8 years with no one in charge, just like the banking industry it takes time to crack down on them.

And Cons in Congress are fighting all the way. They are used to the graft and do not want to give it up. Just like in Iraq and Afghanistan.

just to be clear, when democrats blame gwb for driving the american economy into a ditch and leaving a mess for the obama administration, they are using gwb as a symbol for gwb and a republican congress and a set of misguided economic policies (fiscal and regulatory).

In other words, you can't really blame gwb directly. You have to place the blame on failed republican economic policies. What you see this year among all the major republican candidates is a rehash and a doubling down on the same failed disastrous policies that were promoted by republicans during the bush years. Why go back to the same set of misguided policies that dug the hole.

The economy is beginning to come around. Though republicans will promise a new dawn, what they will deliver is the same old misery.
amen!!!

See, where your theory breaks down is in the assumption that all Republican policy is bad and all Democrat (progressive) policy is good.
I agree with you here Lukey, all GOP policies aren't bad .............................for oligarchy

For oligarchies GOP policies are perfect, concentrating wealth and affluence and power into the hands of the few so they can "trickle" down to the rest of us doesn't work for pluralistic societies.

Exactly. He says that money is not finite yet fails to explain how or where it comes from. My bet is he won't admit it comes from fractional reserve banking...ie. the fed or a bank...but underlying it all is debt v assets. When I borrow against my equity to buy stocks in an IPO, that money is a liability to me and someone at the companies asset the second I make the purchase. He runs off with my money, I get some paper stock and increased debt....

degsme

Council Member
Exactly. He says that money is not finite yet fails to explain how or where it comes from. My bet is he won't admit it comes from fractional reserve banking...ie. the fed or a bank...but underlying it all is debt v assets. When I borrow against my equity to buy stocks in an IPO, that money is a liability to me and someone at the companies asset the second I make the purchase. He runs off with my money, I get some paper stock and increased debt....
Its amazing how the conservatives armwave about basid economic and fiscal fundamentals and processes. I guess it comes from the Von Mises world view that you cannot actually model economics at all.