• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

Right-Wing Politics is Driving People Away From Church

Interesting read...
https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-christian-right-is-helping-drive-liberals-away-from-religion/?yptr=yahoo

"But when two sociologists, Michael Hout and Claude Fischer, began to look at possible explanations for why so many Americans were suddenly becoming secular, those conventional reasons couldn’t explain why religious affiliation started to fall in the mid-1990s. Demographic and generational shifts also couldn’t fully account for why liberals and moderates were leaving in larger numbers than conservatives. In a paper published in 2002, they offered a new theory: Distaste for the Christian right’s involvement with politics was prompting some left-leaning Americans to walk away from religion.

It was a simple but compelling explanation. For one thing, the timing made sense. In the 1990s, white evangelical Protestants were becoming more politically powerful and visible within conservative politics. As white evangelical Protestants became an increasingly important constituency for the GOP, the Christian conservative political agenda — focused primarily on issues of sexual morality, including opposition to gay marriage and abortion — became an integral part of the the party’s pitch to voters, but it was still framed as part of an existential struggle to protect the country’s religious foundation from incursions by the secular left. Hout and Fischer argued that the Christian right hadn’t just roused religious voters from their political slumber — left-leaning people with weaker religious ties also started opting out of religion because they disliked Christian conservatives’ social agenda."

I don't feel bad the churches. they made they choices, now they can live with the consequences.

+1 !!!

American's don't want to be associated with right wing racist who support harming children and running Trump concentration camps.

Too many churches associated with Red Dons intentions

Phat Mama

Council Member
+1 !!!

American's don't want to be associated with right wing racist who support harming children and running Trump concentration camps.

Too many churches associated with Red Dons intentions
who support harming children and running Trump concentration camps.

You mean the 'detention camps' that started under Obama.

Dang, some of you people are a hoot!

Thanks for the laugh!!!!

Mr. Friscus

Governor
Interesting read...
https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-christian-right-is-helping-drive-liberals-away-from-religion/?yptr=yahoo

"But when two sociologists, Michael Hout and Claude Fischer, began to look at possible explanations for why so many Americans were suddenly becoming secular, those conventional reasons couldn’t explain why religious affiliation started to fall in the mid-1990s. Demographic and generational shifts also couldn’t fully account for why liberals and moderates were leaving in larger numbers than conservatives. In a paper published in 2002, they offered a new theory: Distaste for the Christian right’s involvement with politics was prompting some left-leaning Americans to walk away from religion.

It was a simple but compelling explanation. For one thing, the timing made sense. In the 1990s, white evangelical Protestants were becoming more politically powerful and visible within conservative politics. As white evangelical Protestants became an increasingly important constituency for the GOP, the Christian conservative political agenda — focused primarily on issues of sexual morality, including opposition to gay marriage and abortion — became an integral part of the the party’s pitch to voters, but it was still framed as part of an existential struggle to protect the country’s religious foundation from incursions by the secular left. Hout and Fischer argued that the Christian right hadn’t just roused religious voters from their political slumber — left-leaning people with weaker religious ties also started opting out of religion because they disliked Christian conservatives’ social agenda."

I don't feel bad the churches. they made they choices, now they can live with the consequences.
Agreed, I'm fine with the church holding it's moral standards, as it should regardless of political or physical convenience.

I mean, "white evangelical Protestants" (like there weren't and aren't a large block of black pastors LOL, obvious race baiting) were never politically powerful. No minister ever had any major leverage in politics, every time they ran for office they got very little support. That's a false representation by the article.

Don't feel bad for churches, they really don't need your sympathy. The church has gone through FAR more drastic things than this, despite how much modern secularists like to paint how "THIS IS THE END". It's cute.

However, just realize they overall don't and shouldn't change their morals based on outside circumstances. Any institution that does that gets an amount of respect from me, no matter what it is.

Agreed, I'm fine with the church holding it's moral standards, as it should regardless of political or physical convenience.

I mean, "white evangelical Protestants" (like there weren't and aren't a large block of black pastors LOL, obvious race baiting) were never politically powerful. No minister ever had any major leverage in politics, every time they ran for office they got very little support. That's a false representation by the article.

Don't feel bad for churches, they really don't need your sympathy. The church has gone through FAR more drastic things than this, despite how much modern secularists like to paint how "THIS IS THE END". It's cute.

However, just realize they overall don't and shouldn't change their morals based on outside circumstances. Any institution that does that gets an amount of respect from me, no matter what it is.
I thought you didn't like divisiveness. Churches have become too political. Which is driving people away from them.

Church morality isn't divisive. You can choose to follow the faith or not.

Church politics haven't much changed, society has.
Church's active involvement in politics has changed. Before Falwell and Robertson, churches and politics had remained separate for a while(temperance movement was church based but also a very long time ago). The church's morality isn't what's driving them away. It's active engagement in Republican politics. Religious groups donate to Republicans, they give sermons on Trump. They advocate for Republicans. It drives people away from the church.

Mr. Friscus

Governor
Church's active involvement in politics has changed. Before Falwell and Robertson, churches and politics had remained separate for a while(temperance movement was church based but also a very long time ago). The church's morality isn't what's driving them away. It's active engagement in Republican politics. Religious groups donate to Republicans, they give sermons on Trump. They advocate for Republicans. It drives people away from the church.
Mostly on specific issues such as abortion yes.

And, if certain people are driven away by that.. um, that's fine.

Meanwhile, just because you're driven away from the church doesn't mean you become a flaming liberal. Conservatism is not interchangeable with Christianity. There are plenty of atheists who are very Conservative. I'm not sure why you're trying to associate the two so much.

D

Deleted member 21794

So it's only Republican activism, not Democrat activism, that's a problem.

LOL

PhilFish

Administrator
Staff member

what's ruining the church (in particular the catholic church) is its reluctance to purge the paedos from their ranks. instead what unfolding is a history of coddling them, shielding them..

it is disgusting.

Mr. Friscus

Governor
what's ruining the church (in particular the catholic church) is its reluctance to purge the paedos from their ranks. instead what unfolding is a history of coddling them, shielding them..

it is disgusting.
It's a black eye on the modern church for sure. It's really tested believers today.

As much as outsiders don't try to find out, pretty much all Catholics desire justice be served to the perpetrators. The initial inactivity was horrid. I think it was a MAJOR difference in culture from many European/South America dictatorships, whose leaders are used to being above the law and dealing with them internally versus America, who are all about exposing the wrongdoing to the public and demand equal justice for all.

Thankfully, these instances are so rare that it's not an epidemic, although you wouldn't know that by media coverage.

Mr. Friscus

Governor
Christian-based religious groups aren't especially active in Democratic politics.
Church membership has shrank as political activism by church groups has increased.
Churches are actively seeking to shrink their tents.
So you think Churches should change their beliefs to get more people?

That would sacrifice a religion's faith... it would cease to become a religion and merely a public institution.

So you think Churches should change their beliefs to get more people?

That would sacrifice a religion's faith... it would cease to become a religion and merely a public institution.
No, I am suggesting separating politics from the church. Church groups stop donating to political parties/PACs/causes. Stop going to political rallies as religious organizations. Stop having politicians as featured guests. Stop delivering sermons about politics, and stick to Jesus.

who support harming children and running Trump concentration camps.

You mean the 'detention camps' that started under Obama.

Dang, some of you people are a hoot!

Thanks for the laugh!!!!
Nope, text book concentration camps because Red Don is a racist and is doing such for punitive measures and it's indefinite.

Those keys make Red Don's concentration camps text book

Mr. Friscus

Governor
No, I am suggesting separating politics from the church. Church groups stop donating to political parties/PACs/causes. Stop going to political rallies as religious organizations. Stop having politicians as featured guests. Stop delivering sermons about politics, and stick to Jesus.
Non-believers would say that. LOL.

Hey, you keep your moral desires to yourself! It's inconvenient to our narrative!

Wishful thinking there, but sorry, you have to deal with institutions that hold differing ideals and morals than yours, because morality affects politics.