• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

Rude awakening and cringe-worthy personal story

Bo-4

Senator
If you are squeamish stop right here. o_O

Ever get a fishing hook embedded into one of your little toes? I did this morning, and here's how it must have happened.

I was organizing tackle on garage workbench yesterday just before sundown prior to walking to our lake at dusk to catch & release a nice 2 pound off the dock using a popper plug. Apparently i dropped a size ten red multy-barbed hook on the garage floor and stepped on it last night on a quick trip out to the garage to grab something out of my truck. It attached to the underside of my sock but caused no problems all of last night.

This morning i get out of bed and stepped on it in a way that flipped and impaled it halfway through my next to smallest right toe. Painful is an understatement. I go to take my sock off and it won't COME off.

So i hopped like an injured rabbit to the bathroom and realize that it isn't a tack or small nail as initially suspected. Getting panicky and in terrible pain, i hopped to the junk drawer in the kitchen to grab a pair of needle-nose pliers. Since it wasn't hooked clear through, no way to pull it through point first and minimize barb damage. The barb just behind tip of hook was halfway in and no choice but to AAAAAAAAAHHHHH --- YANK IT!!

Thought about calling 911, but figured they'd probably do the same thing. Sooo.. a self-yank it was, and i don't EVER want to have to do that again. I'll leave the volume of bleeding and size of the hole it left to your imagination but what a relief to get it OUT OF THERE. :eek:

NightSwimmer

Senator
When I was about 10, a neighbor girl's cat got a fish hook stuck in it's mouth. I used needle-nose pliers to push the hook the rest of the way through the cat's jaw and then cut the barb off. That causes less damage than trying to back the hook out with the barb still on it. I can understand why you didn't use that method, though. ;)

One of the worst toe injuries I ever had was when I slid my bare foot across a carpet and found a straight pin. It was stuck in my knuckle so tightly that it was hard to pull loose.

freyasman

Senator

Ever get a fishing hook embedded into one of your little toes? I did this morning, and here's how it must have happened.

I was organizing tackle on garage workbench yesterday just before sundown prior to walking to our lake at dusk to catch & release a nice 2 pound off the dock using a popper plug. Apparently i dropped a size ten red multy-barbed hook on the garage floor and stepped on it last night on a quick trip out to the garage to grab something out of my truck. It attached to the underside of my sock but caused no problems all of last night.

This morning i get out of bed and stepped on it in a way that flipped and impaled it halfway through my next to smallest right toe. Painful is an understatement. I go to take my sock off and it won't COME off.

So i hopped like an injured rabbit to the bathroom and realize that it isn't a tack or small nail as initially suspected. Getting panicky and in terrible pain, i hopped to the junk drawer in the kitchen to grab a pair of needle-nose pliers. Since it wasn't hooked clear through, no way to pull it through point first and minimize barb damage. The barb just behind tip of hook was halfway in and no choice but to AAAAAAAAAHHHHH --- YANK IT!!

Thought about calling 911, but figured they'd probably do the same thing. Sooo.. a self-yank it was, and i don't EVER want to have to do that again. I'll leave the volume of bleeding and size of the hole it left to your imagination but what a relief to get it OUT OF THERE. :eek:
Ouch!!! See, things like this are why my dad only fishes with dynamite.....

Bo-4

Senator
Ouch!!! See, things like this are why my dad only fishes with dynamite.....
Lol! The weird thing Frey? I rubbed Neosporin into it for a while after letting somewhat bleed out and washing in bathroom sink and covered with bandaid.

Here we are at 4 Pm MST and it hasn't hurt since about an hour after the yank. Considering the initial and immediately subsequent pain, really it should!!

ya-ta-hey

Mayor

Mr. Bo,

You sleep with your socks on? Dude, this is a good example as to why you should never drink so much that you fall asleep with your clothes on.

freyasman

Senator
Lol! The weird thing Frey? I rubbed Neosporin into it for a while after letting somewhat bleed out and washing in bathroom sink and covered with bandaid.

Here we are at 4 Pm MST and it hasn't hurt since about an hour after the yank. Considering the initial and immediately subsequent pain, really it should!!
Pain's a weird thing, I wouldn't worry too much about it....
P.S. don't scrimp on the Neosporin; you don't want it getting infected. Just cause it stopped hurting, doesn't mean it doesn't need attention still....

fairsheet

Senator
My wife's step-brothers are the rugged outdoorsy types. Their little sister hooked up with a li'l fella name of "Junior" that they weren't too high on. Nevertheless, they took Junior out fishing. Somehow, Junior ended up with a big ol', salmon-sized hook attached to a cut herring plug, clear through his lower lip. Junior was absolutely miserable, but hey...there were 6 hours of light still left. After they'd finished fishing, they took Junior to the Doc. As you might imagine, the photos are hilarious (except if you were Junior!)

JackDallas

Senator
Supporting Member

That never happens to me at Albertson, where I fish.

MaryAnne

Governor

I sure hope you poured the Hydrogen Peroxide on it. Not to mention have you had a tetanus shot? That had to hurt.

All I did this week was to pick up a nail in my tire and ONSTAR notified me in a big way on my screen,then some one keyed my car.

Get out that Hydrogen Peroxide, Bo!

Bo-4

Senator
When I was about 10, a neighbor girl's cat got a fish hook stuck in it's mouth. I used needle-nose pliers to push the hook the rest of the way through the cat's jaw and then cut the barb off. That causes less damage than trying to back the hook out with the barb still on it. I can understand why you didn't use that method, though. ;)

One of the worst toe injuries I ever had was when I slid my bare foot across a carpet and found a straight pin. It was stuck in my knuckle so tightly that it was hard to pull loose.
Yep, using THAT method (i seriously thought about it) would have meant grabbing the
I sure hope you poured the Hydrogen Peroxide on it. Not to mention have you had a tetanus shot? That had to hurt.

All I did this week was to pick up a nail in my tire and ONSTAR notified me in a big way on my screen,then some one keyed my car.

Get out that Hydrogen Peroxide, Bo!
Thanks MA, good tip. I used soap and hot water followed by Neosporin. Yep, just had a tetanus booster last year.

So you had a flat and got keyed the same day?

Bo-4

Senator

Your injury is cringe-worthy also. I've done that too -- Youch!

I was out on a charter boat with my buddy and his pop and we were using heavy sinkers in deep water. Pop had the sinker resting on the rail while baiting with a live anchovy and a swell knocked the sinker off and the hook clean through his thumb.

That was a pretty easy one, the deckhand just pulled it on through (no barbs on the shaft). Strangely, nobody who saw that visited the galley for the next couple hours but he was fine.. kept right on fishin' AND won the pot for biggest fish on boat.. about a 25 pound ling cod.

Bo-4

Senator
My wife's step-brothers are the rugged outdoorsy types. Their little sister hooked up with a li'l fella name of "Junior" that they weren't too high on. Nevertheless, they took Junior out fishing. Somehow, Junior ended up with a big ol', salmon-sized hook attached to a cut herring plug, clear through his lower lip. Junior was absolutely miserable, but hey...there were 6 hours of light still left. After they'd finished fishing, they took Junior to the Doc. As you might imagine, the photos are hilarious (except if you were Junior!)
Junior should have just left it in as a cool lip ornament! ;-)

ya-ta-hey

Mayor
In the winter.. yes i do. Gets cold here in Idaho on a fall night.
Mr. Bo,

Dude, it's still summer. Have you considered you may be suffering from peripheral neuropahty, possibly as a result of either heavy drinking or undiagnosed diabetes?

Bo-4

Senator
Mr. Bo,

Dude, it's still summer. Have you considered you may be suffering from peripheral neuropahty, possibly as a result of either heavy drinking or undiagnosed diabetes?
Mr Ta, our low temp Wednesday night was 45 degrees. Harvest moon & stuff. You need to get off that reservation down in southern Arizona once in awhile. ;-)

ya-ta-hey

Mayor
Mr Ta, our low temp Wednesday night was 45 degrees. Harvest moon & stuff. You need to get off that reservation down in southern Arizona once in awhile. ;-)
Mr. Bo,

45 degrees is not that cold. Not cold enough that your feet would get cold if covered with blankets. Seriously, I know I joke around a lot, but when was the last time you had an A1C test?

Bo-4

Senator
Mr. Bo,

45 degrees is not that cold. Not cold enough that your feet would get cold if covered with blankets. Seriously, I know I joke around a lot, but when was the last time you had an A1C test?
I have a complete annual physical every year. Don't you worry about me Mr. Ta. A lot of healthy guys wear sox to bed.

ya-ta-hey

Mayor
I have a complete annual physical every year. Don't you worry about me Mr. Ta. A lot of healthy guys wear sox to bed.
Mr. Bo,

You mean the same funky socks that you've been wearing all day inside your smelly shoes, and padding around the dust covered floors of your house and grease covered floors of your garage in?

Sounds pretty gross to me, but hey, to each their own.