• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

School lunches back in the news.

Gramps

Mayor
No one worried when I was a kid if my lunch was healthy or not. WE rarely ate lunches prepared in cafeterias, mainly because the schools I attended in lower grades had no such animals. The head chef around home, MOM, packed a lunch from whatever food sources we had on hand -- peanut butter was popular. There were many ways to disguise peanut butter. I used to ask mom to put a few bread-and-butter pickles between the slices of home baked bread she used which gave the PB a tart twang I liked. My older sis like PB mixed with honey, My macho older brother would take it however it came and after dad butchered a hog he would insist on having the brains mixed with his PB.

Mom died while I was still a kid and be packed my lunch as well as a lunch for my kid brother. Yeah. PB, plain PB wrapped in newspapers sometimes because our supply of wax paper petered out. Sometimes the bread would absorb the newsprint and we could not only read the news while we ate but we could digest it;. Deserts were an exception. Apples were most common because most of us had apple trees in our own back yard and would store them in the cave to keep them edible longer.l

There were no free lunch programs. They hadn't yet been invented. School lunches were a remedial method of teaching economics to the student body. It was "swap time" after the dinner bell rang and we'd get down to some serioous trading techniques to garner something different. One girl in particular who came from an affluent family brought scrumptuous lunches and never offered to trade with anyone. She would turn up her nose when she watched the rest of us eat, never really saying much because "gross" hadn't been invented yet either. Most of us envied her but didn't let on. Only a fool wouldn't have wanted to have a big bite out of one of her beef sandwiches; unlike our own, which was drowning in condiments.

Looking back, we were disgustingly healthy. Living in rural areas we were not overly exposed to rich kids to set the standards. We were taught hygeine but didn't practice it very well because we had no running water or inside toilets. The older boys pumped a pail of water when needed and the whole class shared a big dipper when they got a drink from the pail. The room was heated with one pot-bellied stove. The younger kids were seated closer to the stove because, as the teacher explained it, older kids knew how to adjust to the miserie of being cold, but we didn't know that.

I scanned the new menus. They're okay, I guess. But I'm still okay with a PB sandwich, or a PBJ, or a PBP (pickles) and an apple which back then was touted as a method to keep doctors away. They worked. WE kids rarely went to doctors -- well -- not professional practitioners anyway. Mom the chef did alright in the dispensary, too; the dispensary being our dining room table, close to the kitchen in case Dr. Mom needed some water to clean a wound -- water dispensed from the big ladle.

Talk about having it made and not realizing it? I doubt there was any surplus in the national treasury back then to have funded a school lunch program. Those were harsh days, not like the present time after politicians have mastered the art of stretching a trillion dollars income to cover the cost of a two trillion dollar budget. My grade school math at lunch time did not prepare me for such exetravagance.

Gramps

PhilFish

Administrator
Staff member
Great story. Reminded me of my own childhood..to a degree..(after the potbellied era, for sure)

Thanks for sharing.

PB&J with an apple should be the school lunch menu. Maybe some celery sticks too..

G

Greenridgeman

Well gramps, free breakfast and lunch programs, plus food stamps, have turned us into a nation of fatasses that could not have survived the Depression nor been able to provide the manpower for our armed services.

75% of 18 year olds are physically, mentally or morally unable to serve.

I credit 100 years of accelerating Progressiveism.

Wulk

Mayor
Not much of a diet, Gramps. Mind, my eating habits, at school, weren't much better. I hated the school lunches, instead, my normal meal was a Vienna loaf, bite off the top, eat out the filling, and fill it up with two packets of crisps, I seemed to thrive on it.

I don't think it was so much our diets, that kept us healthy as kids, as the fact that we spent so much of our time outdoors, compared to modern kids who spend most of their time indoors, either at school, or, at home with their various computer gear.

Jen

Senator
When I was a youngster in Texas, most days I went home for lunch (since I lived right next to the school and my house was probably closer than the school cafeteria). But I always ate in the cafeteria when it was enchilada day. Those Texas-made enchiladas were to die for. And then when I taught school in San Antonio...........same thing.........I brought my lunch EXCEPT on enchilada day. Different enchiladas, just as good......maybe even better than the ones of my childhood.

Nothing wrong with a good PB or PBJ........... have to try a PBP though.

Great post, Gramps. Made me smile.

mark14

Council Member
Yes, I lived on peanut butter sandwiches for years. My mom offered us other things but that was what I liked. Later, as I lived near to home like Jen, I found out it was pretty sweet to go home and have my mother cook me lunch. Housing, food and health insurance was much cheaper then and I think people ate out much less.

Gramps

Mayor
When I was a youngster in Texas, most days I went home for lunch (since I lived right next to the school and my house was probably closer than the school cafeteria). But I always ate in the cafeteria when it was enchilada day. Those Texas-made enchiladas were to die for. And then when I taught school in San Antonio...........same thing.........I brought my lunch EXCEPT on enchilada day. Different enchiladas, just as good......maybe even better than the ones of my childhood.

Nothing wrong with a good PB or PBJ........... have to try a PBP though.

Great post, Gramps. Made me smile.
A good Tamale is equally as hard to find but worth whatever effort one spends to find one.

Jen

Senator
Oh, absolutely. I grew up with tamales made by the ladies at my church or by the little lady with a bunch of kids that butchered a pig, made the tamales and sold them for some extra money. THOSE are the best tamales ever and since then I've never had one to match those. But I do know a place in SanAntonio where you can get to die for menudo and picadillo or carne guisada tacos made right there while you watch.

A good Tamale is equally as hard to find but worth whatever effort one spends to find one.

Oh, absolutely. I grew up with tamales made by the ladies at my church or by the little lady with a bunch of kids that butchered a pig, made the tamales and sold them for some extra money. THOSE are the best tamales ever and since then I've never had one to match those. But I do know a place in SanAntonio where you can get to die for menudo and picadillo or carne guisada tacos made right there while you watch.
Mrs H. likes to make the fat tamales wrapped in a bananna leaf filled with chicken, olives, prunes, a slice of a boiled egg and with a scoop of mole in the middle for seasoning