• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

Seattle is the first area in the US where residents can vote via smartphones

All voting should be done by paper ballots and at a specified building . There should be a literacy test and NO absentee ballots.

https://www.theverge.com/2020/1/22/21077358/seattle-king-county-smartphone-voting-mobile-supervisors-board-election

jan 22 2020 King County, where Seattle is located, announced on Wednesday that it’s implementing smartphone voting for an upcoming board of supervisors election.

King County’s 1.2 million residents can use their cellphones to vote in the election, which begins on January 22nd and continues until 8PM PT on February 11th.

The program is a collaboration between King County Elections; the county’s conservation district; mobile-voting nonprofit Tusk Philanthropies; the National Cybersecurity Center; and Democracy Live, a technology firm that develops electronic balloting.

EatTheRich

President
All voting should be done by paper ballots and at a specified building . There should be a literacy test and NO absentee ballots.
All sounds reasonable except for the need to make accommodation for travelers (such as the military) and the disabled. And of course depriving illiterate people of the vote, and almost certainly minorities due to subjective and grossly unequal application of the literacy tests as when they were common.

All sounds reasonable except for the need to make accommodation for travelers (such as the military) and the disabled. And of course depriving illiterate people of the vote, and almost certainly minorities due to subjective and grossly unequal application of the literacy tests as when they were common.
BS - military and disabled should NOT get absentee ballots. There should be no absentee ballots period. Most people just sell their absentee ballots.

What is subjective about literacy tests??? I don't think you know how literacy tests would be implemented today.

EatTheRich

President
BS - military and disabled should NOT get absentee ballots. There should be no absentee ballots period. Most people just sell their absentee ballots.

What is subjective about literacy tests??? I don't think you know how literacy tests would be implemented today.
For the record, I am for facilitating voting by the illiterate regardless of how they would be implemented. But you haven’t told us how, yet?

Take a single example. Would there be one in English and one in Spanish and one in Chinese? Because otherwise you would discriminate against people who spoke a minority language. Would you have one in Mandarin Chinese, one in Cantonese, one in Shanghaiese? One in Braille? One in Cherokee? Hopi? Yoruba? Guugu Yimithirr? How about African-American Vernacular English or Hawaiian Pidgin or Jamaican Patois?

For the record, I am for facilitating voting by the illiterate regardless of how they would be implemented. But you haven’t told us how, yet?

Take a single example. Would there be one in English and one in Spanish and one in Chinese? Because otherwise you would discriminate against people who spoke a minority language. Would you have one in Mandarin Chinese, one in Cantonese, one in Shanghaiese? One in Braille? One in Cherokee? Hopi? Yoruba? Guugu Yimithirr? How about African-American Vernacular English or Hawaiian Pidgin or Jamaican Patois?
The test would be english only of course. If that discriminates against people who can't speak english, tough.

Subjective? Yes. Discriminatory? Yes. You want a system rigged to favor the wealthy by leveraging white privilege to get workers to vote against their class interest.
There is nothing subjective about literacy tests. I would be done with computers and randomly chosen questions. THINK

Discriminatory? Hell yes - nothing wrong with discrimination, esp against stupidity. You want morons to be doctors too??