• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

Should scientists be held legally responsible for their results?

SourMash_PLH

Council Member
Not a chance. They'd have known the Russians got their hands on scientists who were working on Hitler's A-bomb, and couldn't take the risk that the Russians would get their hands on a super-weapon before they did. It's Realpolitik, plain and simple.
Realpolitik is a Western concept. If Japan understood and practiced Realpolitik, the would never have brought the U. S. into the war in the first place.

gabriel

Governor
crap. scientists cannot force society to do anything. they give their opinion and estimates of cause and effects. its up to society to weigh all the options and make the final decision.

NightSwimmer

Senator
What do you mean by being "held responsible"?

Should we stone any scientist who states an opinion that offends SourMash_PLH? Shoot them? Maybe just sue them, or throw them in prison?

After all, you know how them scientist fellers are. Lilly-livered little limp-wristed elitist liberals -- the whole lot of 'em. Them and their fancy-dancy little thermometer thingies.

Sheesh man!

Days

Commentator
they did. they understood that we were coming after them, and they wanted to set up a line of perimeter; their first attack at pearl was hoping to get our carriers and their attack at midway was intended to use it as a line of defense, they wanted all along to hold onto what they seized, they never were trying to conquer America.

Days

Commentator
the invasion was brilliant, the stubbornness to press into the Russian winter was catastrophic. Actually our invasion of Iraq went well, it was our stupid decisions after mission accomplished that hurt us. If Bush would have kept his word and just got out of there, we would have been fine, even without finding wmd. But the bastards went there to steal, so they stayed to do that, and that's what f_cked the goose.

gabriel

Governor
hey, pal. if they went there to steal, of course they would stay to steal. and if he had left, you say you would have been fine. hell, if he never went in the first place youd be even finer!

degsme

Council Member
Should the uneducated be held legally responsible for their ignorance?

After all, if the public had bothered to read the actual reports and figure out what they said, they would have been able to make their own assessments right?

Days

Commentator
I knew that before the sob went in. While everyone was arguing about the inspections, I was posting a single question... "how is he going to pay for this war? bonds?" ... and sure as hell, he did exactly that, he didn't fund a stinking dime, the whole cost went right into our national debt.

Days

Commentator
whipped that off a flea that was biting on my tail... I'm told the flea had bitten many a pol before he brought me the count. what? not scientific enough?

gabriel

Governor
and i note you dont seem to have questioned the morality of attacking a sovereign nation in violation of all agreements signed by your country.

Days

Commentator
What I meant was that we would have been alright despite all the crap that GW pulled, and it was enough to fill a barn, no argument there. But if the sob had pulled out and turned it over like he said he was gonna do... no one would have weeped for Saddam or his army. But when he stayed and tore the nation in shreds and destroyed their infrastructure, killed all the citizenry in the streets and in their homes and tortured them in prisons, and stole all their oil, and built huge military bases, but failed to protect their borders or national treasures... Jesus, the Romans were kinder to the Carthaginians.

Days

Commentator
heat transfer is awful simple stuff. If the sun is hitting that 3 inch aluminum shell, radiation is warming the metal up... and if the craft's skin is one piece, heat is spreading to the full skin, the bottom side doesn't stay cool... a tad cooler, but that's all. Heat is radiating back into space but that is insignificant compared to the heat being radiated into the metal by the sun. That is simple physics, not rocket science ;)

Someone else on the internet, who works with metals, listed the 250 degrees as the temp that the Apollo aluminum skin would hold at. I didn't make that number up.

The Apollo cabin was pressurized, so heat transfer into the cabin from the metal skin via convection is a given.

The Apollo cabins had no cooling.

this is airtight, there's no way around it. Apollo missions would have cooked if they were real.

gabriel

Governor
you continue to see it thru amerikkkan coloured glasses. its not saddam and his thugs the world weeps for, its america and her blatant disregard for morality and international agreements that is the real tragedy

Days

Commentator
I get that. I'm just saying that GW made a much bigger mess with Iraq by staying than he did by invading.

gabriel

Governor
thats obvious. but he couldnt have made the bigger mess without making the original one. and the initial mess is far from insignificant. its the callous disregard for international law by a superpower that the world had hoped would show moral leadership! and that will have ramifications far beyond iraq.