• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

So the consensus was.......

connieb

Senator
that certain dietary restrictions were necessary and good for our health. And, it turns out that after DECADES of bad dietary advice.... they were well. wrong..

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2015/02/10/new-dietary-cholesterol-advice/23174871/

I mean.. how many scientists jumped on this bandwagon of cholesterol = bad.. and invented drugs to counteract it? How many scientists just accepted this concensus until after decades of actually declining health someone finally started to say... you know we should take a closer look at this "settled science". And, well low and behold this "settled science" that we have operated on under years is well wrong....

In fact:

"It's the right decision," said Steven Nissen, chairman of cardiovascular medicine at the famed Cleveland Clinic. "We got the dietary guidelines wrong. They've been wrong for decades."

and oh....

"Recent studies even suggest that longtime advice on saturated fat and salt may be wrong, Nissen says."

Kinda makes you wonder what else they have been wrong about right? Like maybe... oh I don't know... the safety and efficacy of vaccines, climate change.... well you get the point.

Fast Eddy

Mayor
Just wait a month, there will be new guidelines and counter recommendations. Every 6 months a report comes out coffee is good for you and 6 months later its bad for you
I gave up paying attention to all this, eat what yo want, just eat in moderation.

Barbella

Senator
that certain dietary restrictions were necessary and good for our health. And, it turns out that after DECADES of bad dietary advice.... they were well. wrong..

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2015/02/10/new-dietary-cholesterol-advice/23174871/

I mean.. how many scientists jumped on this bandwagon of cholesterol = bad.. and invented drugs to counteract it? How many scientists just accepted this concensus until after decades of actually declining health someone finally started to say... you know we should take a closer look at this "settled science". And, well low and behold this "settled science" that we have operated on under years is well wrong....

In fact:

"It's the right decision," said Steven Nissen, chairman of cardiovascular medicine at the famed Cleveland Clinic. "We got the dietary guidelines wrong. They've been wrong for decades."

and oh....

"Recent studies even suggest that longtime advice on saturated fat and salt may be wrong, Nissen says."

Kinda makes you wonder what else they have been wrong about right? Like maybe... oh I don't know... the safety and efficacy of vaccines, climate change.... well you get the point.
I can't even pay attention any more when someone comes out with the results of 'new research' has shown blah blah blah.

When I was a kid, we actually used to eat lard (LARD!!!!!) on rye bread, liberally sprinkled with salt (SALT!!!!)... LOL. Eggs. Real butter. Lots of potatoes... fried foods like potato pancakes... dumplings.... pasta.... but very little meat (too expensive) and a beer every day.

Both my grandmothers, as well as my parents, died when they were in their late 80's....

So much for that. :D

BitterPill

The Shoe Cometh
Supporting Member
I can't even pay attention any more when someone comes out with the results of 'new research' has shown blah blah blah.

When I was a kid, we actually used to eat lard (LARD!!!!!) on rye bread, liberally sprinkled with salt (SALT!!!!)... LOL. Eggs. Real butter. Lots of potatoes... fried foods like potato pancakes... dumplings.... pasta.... but very little meat (too expensive) and a beer every day.

Both my grandmothers, as well as my parents, died when they were in their late 80's....

Fried pasta sounds delicious.

Caroljo

Senator
Word of advice....if anyone is on Cholesterol medication (any statin drug for cholesterol)...get off it or cut way down! It can make some people quite sick. My husband was on 40 mg Simvastin for quite a while. He got pretty much poisoned from it & we were luck we figured out his problem (without the help of his doctor!). His legs had swollen, especially around his ankles, and was in quite a lot of pain. Once he took himself off the medication, it took a couple weeks but it cleared right up. He's now on 20 mg only twice a week and so far is ok.

Caroljo

Senator

My mom ALWAYS saved bacon grease to fry other foods in! That was the BEST! So, I guess I can start that tradition back up now? :) I'm excited~~~~~

Boltlady

Mayor

Some years back there was a picture in our paper of a 96 year old farmer who still was farming. He said he ate a dozen eggs every day and of course it was a time when we were be;)ing told that eggs were bad for us.

Jen

Senator

In fact:

and oh....

I have always made up my own dietary rules. And I am oldish and healthy. I eat real butter, real sugar, and real other stuff and avoid fake things. I make my own food and avoid processed foods and boxed stuff. And by "avoid" I don't mean "never eat". I just mean don't eat it every day or even every week. Common sense beats out the dietary fads every time.

Boltlady

Mayor
Word of advice....if anyone is on Cholesterol medication (any statin drug for cholesterol)...get off it or cut way down! It can make some people quite sick. My husband was on 40 mg Simvastin for quite a while. He got pretty much poisoned from it & we were luck we figured out his problem (without the help of his doctor!). His legs had swollen, especially around his ankles, and was in quite a lot of pain. Once he took himself off the medication, it took a couple weeks but it cleared right up. He's now on 20 mg only twice a week and so far is ok.
For years Lipitor was the best selling med in the world for cholesterol with untold millions taking it every day. Now they have found that a whole lot of people have died from heart problems because of it.

Jen

Senator

I still eat butter and fried food (call it sauteed) and very little meat. My meat intake each day is probably about a 2" x2" piece of meat (maybe 3 ounces or less). For some reason, I took 3 swallows of beer last week after I put the rest of the bottle into my chile and liked it. So maybe I like beer now. I love potatoes but my kids prefer pasta so we rarely have potatoes.

Boltlady

Mayor
My mom ALWAYS saved bacon grease to fry other foods in! That was the BEST! So, I guess I can start that tradition back up now? :) I'm excited~~~~~
McDonald's grew so big and built a reputation of having the best french fries anywhere because they used to fry them in lard. Once they were coerced into stopping using it they were already off and running, but that's what made them famous.

Spamature

President

In fact:

and oh....

last line in story

But I think we need to wait and see what the committee actually says before saying too much about this."

Caroljo

Senator
I still eat butter and fried food (call it sauteed) and very little meat. My meat intake each day is probably about a 2" x2" piece of meat (maybe 3 ounces or less). For some reason, I took 3 swallows of beer last week after I put the rest of the bottle into my chile and liked it. So maybe I like beer now. I love potatoes but my kids prefer pasta so we rarely have potatoes.
I always get real butter (especially since I saw how bad margarine is for you!!). We eat very little red meat (although my favorite is good steaks!). We cook quite often with cheap beer, it goes into our Chili too. We marinate steaks in it....we buy the "good" beer though for US! :)

I have always made up my own dietary rules. And I am oldish and healthy. I eat real butter, real sugar, and real other stuff and avoid fake things. I make my own food and avoid processed foods and boxed stuff. And by "avoid" I don't mean "never eat". I just mean don't eat it every day or even every week. Common sense beats out the dietary fads every time.
This is 100% the way we live too, Jen. I finally got my wife off of artificial sweeteners! She is very fit, but this was always one thing I could never convince her on until recently. Everyone in my family is a healthy weight, and we eat a diet that would probably not have been considered healthy by a lot of these so-called "scientists". Real butter, real sugar, real eggs, real cheese, real meat, etc. Our emphasis is on portion control, natural ingredients, eating what we raise/grow, and exercise. So far, it's working great. I had bacon and eggs for breakfast; eggs from our chickens and bacon from the pig we raised last year. It's the best...:)

connieb

Senator
For years Lipitor was the best selling med in the world for cholesterol with untold millions taking it every day. Now they have found that a whole lot of people have died from heart problems because of it.
Inevitably taking one unnatural thing into your body runs the risk of creating other problems. I hear drugs advertised on TV and listen to the litany of side effects and by and large think... yeah... I would just rather deal with the problem I was having.

Caroljo

Senator
A biggie that people need to stay away from is Diet soda! There's been soooo many warning about them, but people have gotten addicted to them and can't stay away, or really don't care or listen to the warnings.

connieb

Senator
last line in story

But I think we need to wait and see what the committee actually says before saying too much about this."

Yes, well you can wait for the minions to generate their "official" report after they have heard from the lobbyists of Big Pharma, Big Ag, processed food manufacturers, etc. I know how lefties like to be told what to do.

connieb

Senator
A biggie that people need to stay away from is Diet soda! There's been soooo many warning about them, but people have gotten addicted to them and can't stay away, or really don't care or listen to the warnings.
I admit, I am SO bad with diet soda. So, so, so bad. If not for coffee with fake sweatener and diet coke, I would probably not consume any liquids.