• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

So Who Likes wine?

It's Saturday evening and wine as a topic should qualify. My oldest daughter has turned in to quite the wine snob. Whenever she goes to a new destination the first thing she does is look up the local wineries. I learned from her that even areas without vineyards have wineries they simply buy the grapes from vineyards and make their own. Anyway I am open to suggestions for a decent 10 to 15 dollar Carbenet Sauvignon so far my favorite is Clos du Bois 2010 anid a Chilean wine Casillero de Diablo as a close second. Any suggestions would be welcome as I would like to surprise her with geezer knowledge her next visit here

Jen

Senator
I would suggest a good white merlot. There are several brands within the price range you mentioned and they are all pretty good. The great thing about white merlot is that it has a broad range of meals that it's good with. I would say anything but the lightest flakiest fish and maybe a heavy roast beef that obviously requires a red. White merlot can even work with salmon. It's not too sweet, not too dry.......... and it's not white in color.

We always have white merlot on hand because whether we're having chicken or steak it works. Berringers or Woodbridge or Sutter Home come to mind as having good moderately priced white merlot.

aencrypted_tbn1_gstatic_com_images_d5c27638e398cb6c720b0d5f2beabcd0._.jpg

You might also like to check out wines from Argentina.
aencrypted_tbn0_gstatic_com_images_9691ee10645d6f1cf527c4cb405f49c7._.jpg
I have sampled one Cabernet from Argentina it was good but not as good as the Clos du Bois from a Cali vineyard I also checked out a wine from a Texas vineyard it was just too sweet

Update from the Casa de Lupe comida Casera. Today We had caldo de Rez complete with all the veges except chayote which I don't like. But it was heavy on the repollo which I do like . In addition to that we threw in two chipotle chilis that were left over from the tinga. Quite yummy I must say.

I have packed on a few pounds over the last 20 years

I would suggest a good white merlot. There are several brands within the price range you mentioned and they are all pretty good. The great thing about white merlot is that it has a broad range of meals that it's good with. I would say anything but the lightest flakiest fish and maybe a heavy roast beef that obviously requires a red. White merlot can even work with salmon. It's not too sweet, not too dry.......... and it's not white in color.

We always have white merlot on hand because whether we're having chicken or steak it works. Berringers or Woodbridge or Sutter Home come to mind as having good moderately priced white merlot.

aencrypted_tbn1_gstatic_com_images_d5c27638e398cb6c720b0d5f2beabcd0._.jpg
I have never had a white Merlot I will have to try it. The problem is once we open a bottle we don't stop till its gone. I will have to make sure mrs H likes it too because 750 ml is just too much for ol Lupe to consume

Jen

Senator
Ohhh........... I would definitely pack on the pounds at your house. Sounds like your wife is an excellent cook.

We had corned beef and potatoes (etc). Once a year we have that Irish dinner. We're not Irish. My kids might have a drop of Irish blood but as near as I can tell I am not at all Irish......I am German, Pennsylvania Dutch (whatever that is) and maybe English and possibly French (with a smidge of Native American). Not enough of any of those to count. I grew up with a solid Mexican culture, so that should count for something.

I have sampled one Cabernet from Argentina it was good but not as good as the Clos du Bois from a Cali vineyard I also checked out a wine from a Texas vineyard it was just too sweet

Update from the Casa de Lupe comida Casera. Today We had caldo de Rez complete with all the veges except chayote which I don't like. But it was heavy on the repollo which I do like . In addition to that we threw in two chipotle chilis that were left over from the tinga. Quite yummy I must say.

I have packed on a few pounds over the last 20 years

Jen

Senator
Start with the smaller size and try it out. It is really a very pleasant wine. I don't like very dry wines and while I like the taste of the fruity sweet wines, they get to be too much sweet going on. White merlot is middle of the road. Not overly sweet and not overly dry. You may just enjoy it.

I have never had a white Merlot I will have to try it. The problem is once we open a bottle we don't stop till its gone. I will have to make sure mrs H likes it too because 750 ml is just too much for ol Lupe to consume

I do if it's good. Don't have any suggestions, the best advice is to find a professional salesman you can trust whose wired in and they can pretty much point you in the best direction to find the best quality for the money.

Lots of fancy over priced labels with crappy wine. Once you get ahold of some good wine it'll change your life.

Ummm, White Merlot???? I'll pass.

Ohhh........... I would definitely pack on the pounds at your house. Sounds like your wife is an excellent cook.

We had corned beef and potatoes (etc). Once a year we have that Irish dinner. We're not Irish. My kids might have a drop of Irish blood but as near as I can tell I am not at all Irish......I am German, Pennsylvania Dutch (whatever that is) and maybe English and possibly French (with a smidge of Native American). Not enough of any of those to count. I grew up with a solid Mexican culture, so that should count for something.
Yes Mrs H. Has quite a history at one time she was the cook a t a coffee plantation and had to cook with firewood and a grill propped up between cinder blocks. Sometimes she would go out and pick coffee for extra money and would have to carry the baby strapped to her back. That was a long time ago after she moved to Mexico to escape the Civil War going on in her home country El Salvador

I do if it's good. Don't have any suggestions, the best advice is to find a professional salesman you can trust whose wired in and they can pretty much point you in the best direction to find the best quality for the money.

Lots of fancy over priced labels with crappy wine. Once you get ahold of some good wine it'll change your life.

Try Casillero de Diablo but get the reserva privada it's from Chile and good with steak. Less than 15 bucks

The name means devils cellar

Jen

Senator
Sounds like someone should write a book about her life. Very interesting.

Yes Mrs H. Has quite a history at one time she was the cook a t a coffee plantation and had to cook with firewood and a grill propped up between cinder blocks. Sometimes she would go out and pick coffee for extra money and would have to carry the baby strapped to her back. That was a long time ago after she moved to Mexico to escape the Civil War going on in her home country El Salvador

Sounds like someone should write a book about her life. Very interesting.
If I had the literary skills I would do it. I would title it the All American Family. Our oldest daughter whom I have raised since the age of 5 after her dad died actually has some Asian blood and is the spitting image of Mulan if you remember that animated movie her friends at school called her Mulan. An Interesting thing about Chiapas is that quite a large number of Asians were brought to that area
To work the fields back in The olden days . Yes you are correct a book with accompanying research is in order it's just too much to post here

Jen

Senator
If nothing else, get your wife to talk about her life ( in pieces.... family story time or something) and record it. Someone in your family will at some point want to write it. My daughter is our family historian and she writes everything she can get her hands on about our family. We have a recording of my grandmother describing her childhood farm and riding a horse to school in Oklahoma. My daughter has transcribed it all. So get it down somehow. Family history is important and if it's lost there is no way to retrieve it. Your wife's history must be amazing.

If I had the literary skills I would do it. I would title it the All American Family. Our oldest daughter whom I have raised since the age of 5 after her dad died actually has some Asian blood and is the spitting image of Mulan if you remember that animated movie her friends at school called her Mulan. An Interesting thing about Chiapas is that quite a large number of Asians were brought to that area
To work the fields back in The olden days . Yes you are correct a book with accompanying research is in order it's just too much to post here

Jen

Senator
I heard about some fancy wine tasting thing in California a few years back, wookie, and some of the top winemakers brought their expensive wares to be tasted and graded by judges who tasted the wines with nothing marked. The winner was a cheap wine. hahahahaha....... sometimes the inexpensive wines can be a lot better than an expensive wine where you pay for the bottle or the name.

And why not white merlot?
Give me one good reason not to at least try it.
I thought I made a good sales pitch for it.

If nothing else, get your wife to talk about her life ( in pieces.... family story time or something) and record it. Someone in your family will at some point want to write it. My daughter is our family historian and she writes everything she can get her hands on about our family. We have a recording of my grandmother describing her childhood farm and riding a horse to school in Oklahoma. My daughter has transcribed it all. So get it down somehow. Family history is important and if it's lost there is no way to retrieve it. Your wife's history must be amazing.
Without a doubt she is one tough cookie and on top of that she's still Hot younger guys are still hitting on her not realizing our oldest is almost their age. Ol Lupe must have done something right sometime,

Jen

Senator
Well, marrying her was certainly a wise choice...........for both of you. She's lucky to have a husband who speaks so well of her. Many men don't do that.

Without a doubt she is one tough cookie and on top of that she's still Hot younger guys are still hitting on her not realizing our oldest is almost their age. Ol Lupe must have done something right sometime,

Well, marrying her was certainly a wise choice...........for both of you. She's lucky to have a husband who speaks so well of her. Many men don't do that.
I have been trying to get good photo of MRs H. With our pet Blue Jay for my avatar it would probably drive these lefties mad to see in real life that conservative folks have HOT women folk

trapdoor

Governor
If you like Cabernet or Bordeaux, I recommend the Norton from Stone Hill winery in Hermann, Mo. Many of the Hermann-area wineries make knock-offs of various Rhine wines, and I tend to agree with Markt Twain that Rhine wine can be distinguished from vinegar by the label. The Stone Hill Norton, however, has taken some gold medals overseas and is quite good.

If you like Cabernet or Bordeaux, I recommend the Norton from Stone Hill winery in Hermann, Mo. Many of the Hermann-area wineries make knock-offs of various Rhine wines, and I tend to agree with Markt Twain that Rhine wine can be distinguished from vinegar by the label. The Stone Hill Norton, however, has taken some gold medals overseas and is quite good.
Is it distributed nationally or do I have to order it? Sounds interesting....