• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

So you send your BF a text message...

NightSwimmer

Senator
And he's driving when he gets it.

And he has an accident..

And you get sued...

Text Messengers Await Judge's Decision on Accident Liability

A New Jersey judge is expected to decide Friday whether the sender of a text message can be sued in an accident in which the recipient was distracted by the text.

The civil claim stems from a 2009 traffic accident in Mine Hill, N.J. Linda and David Kubert were riding their motorcycle when a pickup truck driven by Kyle Best, then 18 years old, hit them.

The husband and wife each lost a leg in the accident and are now amputees. They're suing not only Best, but Shannon Colonna as well, the teenager who sent Best text messages while he was behind the wheel.

Friday13

Governor
It's not her fault...he didn't have to look at the message while he was driving. How could she know what he was doing when she sent it?

I take it 'texting while driving' is not illegal in NJ as it is here?

lilly

Council Member
It's not her fault...he didn't have to look at the message while he was driving. How could she know what he was doing when she sent it?

I take it 'texting while driving' is not illegal in NJ as it is here?
It is banned in NJ and I'm afraid for the first time I will have to disagree with you here.

These law suits will be the thing of the future and hopefully get it through people's heads that driving should not be taken so lightly. How many deaths do we need.

Come on Judge do the right thing.

Craig

Senator
Supporting Member
And he's driving when he gets it.

And he has an accident..

And you get sued...

Text Messengers Await Judge's Decision on Accident Liability

A New Jersey judge is expected to decide Friday whether the sender of a text message can be sued in an accident in which the recipient was distracted by the text.

The civil claim stems from a 2009 traffic accident in Mine Hill, N.J. Linda and David Kubert were riding their motorcycle when a pickup truck driven by Kyle Best, then 18 years old, hit them.

The husband and wife each lost a leg in the accident and are now amputees. They're suing not only Best, but Shannon Colonna as well, the teenager who sent Best text messages while he was behind the wheel.
Why stop there? The provider (Verizon etc) allowed the call to be placed, sue them. The phone had the capability of remote distraction, sue the manufacturer (Apple, Nokia). Who invented text messaging? Sue them too.

lilly

Council Member
Hey if you two lose someone in an accident because of this as many have, you won't think your scarism is so cute.

Craig

Senator
Supporting Member
Hey if you two lose someone in an accident because of this as many have, you won't think your scarism is so cute.
Or not.

Are you in agreement with suing the texter? If so, then the progression to provider, hardware, etc is a logical step. If not, then sarcasm regarding the suit is a reasonable response to a ludicrous lawsuit.

lilly

Council Member
Or not.

Are you in agreement with suing the texter? If so, then the progression to provider, hardware, etc is a logical step. If not, then sarcasm regarding the suit is a reasonable response to a ludicrous lawsuit.
Of course I am in agreement with suing the text-er, anything it takes to stop texting and save lives. This is not a frivolous law suit like so many out there, parents will make sure their kids do not text this way. It's not just the young, adults abuse it as well. JUST not in the car, is that too much to ask.

Craig

Senator
Supporting Member
Of course I am in agreement with suing the text-er, anything it takes to stop texting and save lives. This is not a frivolous law suit like so many out there, parents will make sure their kids do not text this way. It's not just the young, adults abuse it as well. JUST not in the car, is that too much to ask.
Then suing Verizon and Apple is the next logical step.

No one takes driving more seriously than I do. I abhor the current state of distraction, but suing the texter simply makes no sense. The driver is in control of the vehicle, no one else but the driver.

The suing of external forces would also mean a new insurance product could be sold. Protect yourself against random acts...and bad timing as well as the irresponsibility of others, as they will blame you for their actions.

NightSwimmer

Senator

Careful of your assumptions, Lilly.

I don't buy into the theory that we can make this a risk-free world simply by having an authoritarian police state. Accidents happen. We have to forgive and move on.

Bluedog

Mayor
It is banned in NJ and I'm afraid for the first time I will have to disagree with you here.

These law suits will be the thing of the future and hopefully get it through people's heads that driving should not be taken so lightly. How many deaths do we need.

I understand what you are saying and why, but you are heading down a slippery slope when you try to enforce something like this.

lilly

Council Member
I understand what you are saying and why, but you are heading down a slippery slope when you try to enforce something like this.
Well Bluedog, thanks for understanding somewhat of what I am trying to say. You won't have to worry though the Judge will decide against it because of pressure from all ends of the spectrum....even from parents who think it would help but have no control over their kids.

Citizen

Council Member

What needs to be done, is take away the license of anyone who has a phone that is capable of texteing. because as has already been pointed out, those sending texts rarely if ever, will know if the person they are texting is driving or not.

So the only way to be sure they don't recieve texts while driving, is take away their right to drive if they have a cell phone that can recieve text messages.

Citizen

Council Member
Again, as I said. If one has a cell phone, take away their driving prividgles. problem solved.

NightSwimmer

Senator
What needs to be done, is take away the license of anyone who has a phone that is capable of texteing. because as has already been pointed out, those sending texts rarely if ever, will know if the person they are texting is driving or not.

So the only way to be sure they don't recieve texts while driving, is take away their right to drive if they have a cell phone that can recieve text messages.

I was almost rear-ended by a lady putting on mascara yesterday. Add makeup to the list of banned substances while you're at it.

Oh yeah... And cheeseburgers... And poodles.

lilly

Council Member
Careful of your assumptions, Lilly.

I don't buy into the theory that we can make this a risk-free world simply by having an authoritarian police state. Accidents happen. We have to forgive and move on.
What a bunch of baloney that is. Protecting our young is not important? Authoritarian police state?? you have got to be kidding.

Craig

Senator
Supporting Member
I was almost rear-ended by a lady putting on mascara yesterday. Add makeup to the list of banned substances while you're at it.

Oh yeah... And cheeseburgers... And poodles.
Clear days in Seattle...it's hell driving there when mountains you rarely see appear over the city...and this I know from experience.

NightSwimmer

Senator
What a bunch of baloney that is. Protecting our young is not important? Authoritarian police state?? you have got to be kidding.

No, Lilly. I'm quite serious. Police states are rarely instituted in a single day. There is always a perfectly logical argument for whittling away at our freedoms -- one little bit at a time.

I would like to add that I fear stupid drivers more than I fear drunk drivers. Perhaps we should require an IQ test as a prerequisite for receiving a drivers license?

lilly

Council Member
Again, as I said. If one has a cell phone, take away their driving prividgles. problem solved.
Probably will have to come to that and I would be for it.

Ok then Night, how about a law about eating in the car if it interferes with the other and many deaths were caused by that.....whatever it takes.

lilly

Council Member
No, Lilly. I'm quite serious. Police states are rarely instituted in a single day. There is always a perfectly logical argument for whittling away at our freedoms -- one little bit at a time.

I would like to add that I fear stupid drivers more than I fear drunk drivers. Perhaps we should require an IQ test as a prerequisite for receiving a drivers license?
The right to live is a freedom. ( this has nothing to do with drunk drivers)