• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

SOTU preview

Addy

Rebuild With Biden!
Thanks, Julie. I plan on watching. He's got a good thing going right now, polling at 50% as he makes his SOTU address tonight... a big thumbs up on that!

fairsheet

Senator
Bush's polling fell below 50% immediately post the '04 elections and only went "souther" from there on out. The Tea Party's approval climbed right up until the '10 elections and started downward immediately thereafter. We're already seeing the same in terms of the GOP vis a vis Obama/Dem numbers following the '14 elections. These are interesting phenomena.

JuliefromOhio

President
Supporting Member
I think Americans have had their fill of ODS and the Obama-bashing. they like Obama and are recognizing that he's doing a damn fine job.

I understand the internals on the recent polls showed gains from Dems, Hispanics, the young and EVEN CONSERVATIVES.

fairsheet

Senator
I think Americans have had their fill of ODS and the Obama-bashing. they like Obama and are recognizing that he's doing a damn fine job.

I understand the internals on the recent polls showed gains from Dems, Hispanics, the young and EVEN CONSERVATIVES.

It has been remarked upon and rightly so, if a Pres. Mitt had presided over Obama's current numbers, the Fox/GOP would be hailing Mitt has the second coming of Ronald Reagan himself.

This points to a "problem" of sorts with the Democrats, that I've harped on ad nauseum. The Democrats simply can't trumpet their own "victories" because in doing so, they'd be signaling that they'd somehow "solved" the problem once and for all, and were willing to write off those their solution had yet to reach.

This isn't the Democrats' "fault". It's simply the nature and definition of the Democratic Party. However I DO think the Democrats need to come up with a better way of portraying themselves. I think they can start with the 2016 election cycle. They can politic that Obama has done a fantastic job and ask the voters if they really want to flush it all down the drain, like they did in 2000. They can go on to suggest that whatever shortcomings people might see in Obama's two terms, President Clinton will build on the foundation he laid, and take us upward form there.

JuliefromOhio

President
Supporting Member
It has been remarked upon and rightly so, if a Pres. Mitt had presided over Obama's current numbers, the Fox/GOP would be hailing Mitt has the second coming of Ronald Reagan himself.

This points to a "problem" of sorts with the Democrats, that I've harped on ad nauseum. The Democrats simply can't trumpet their own "victories" because in doing so, they'd be signaling that they'd somehow "solved" the problem once and for all, and were willing to write off those their solution had yet to reach.

This isn't the Democrats' "fault". It's simply the nature and definition of the Democratic Party. However I DO think the Democrats need to come up with a better way of portraying themselves. I think they can start with the 2016 election cycle. They can politic that Obama has done a fantastic job and ask the voters if they really want to flush it all down the drain, like they did in 2000. They can go on to suggest that whatever shortcomings people might see in Obama's two terms, President Clinton will build on the foundation he laid, and take us upward form there.
it's misplaced humility that keeps dems from bragging when they should. if Obama were a repub, they'd be chiseling his image on Mt. Rushmore. how about we rename Reagan International to Obama International? LOL

fairsheet

Senator
it's misplaced humility that keeps dems from bragging when they should. if Obama were a repub, they'd be chiseling his image on Mt. Rushmore. how about we rename Reagan International to Obama International? LOL
I tend to think that the Democrats' humility is probably an essential ingredient of their being Democrats. They need to find a way of splitting the difference between acknowledging their triumphs, while giving deference to those not yet on "the inside".

Addy

Rebuild With Biden!
Bush's polling fell below 50% immediately post the '04 elections and only went "souther" from there on out. The Tea Party's approval climbed right up until the '10 elections and started downward immediately thereafter. We're already seeing the same in terms of the GOP vis a vis Obama/Dem numbers following the '14 elections. These are interesting phenomena.
Must have been a surprise for the repubs to see Pres. Obama has become so popular once again... proves he must be doing something right.
Makes it harder for them to nit pick over his accomplishments/goals for the nation.

fairsheet

Senator
Must have been a surprise for the repubs to see Pres. Obama has become so popular once again... proves he must be doing something right.
Makes it harder for them to nit pick over his accomplishments/goals for the nation.

This is gonna put them in a REALLY difficult position come 2016. Do they REALLY wanna wallow themselves in 8 more years 0f "other fear/hate", or would they rather join the American party? 16 years is a pretty long time to look back on and consider all the time one's wasted.

Addy

Rebuild With Biden!
This is gonna put them in a REALLY difficult position come 2016. Do they REALLY wanna wallow themselves in 8 more years 0f "other fear/hate", or would they rather join the American party? 16 years is a pretty long time to look back on and consider all the time one's wasted.
Amen to that..... too bad they had nothing to accomplish. :rolleyes:

fairsheet

Senator

There are obviously reasons why the GOP beat the Dems in the '14 elections, but it's NOT because the electorate was convinced that the Fox/GOP would do a better job than Obama and the Democrats.

I call out to the rare poster who's older than I, to suggest an election cycle similar to this one.

EatTheRich

President
If the party is still around in 30 years, Obama could be the Democrats' Reagan, with all the leading national politicians compared with a mythologized version of him.