• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

Stolen Valor

Max R.

On the road
Supporting Member
Stolen Valor should be a crime. It's a Federal crime to impersonate an officer which is why most stolen valor assclowns claim to be enlisted personnel, but I strongly believe any person who claims to be a vet and isn't should be criminally prosecuted.

This, as many other forums, have many members who claim to be vets. Almost always claiming to be formerly enlisted personnel. That's not unusual since the ratio of enlisted to officers in the military is about 10 to 1. Still, and sadly, it's not a crime to claim to be a veteran as long as it's not a claim to be an officer.

OldTrapper

Council Member
Just curious, but what do forum vets think about stolen valor? Should it be a crime as posted above? If a crime, what should be the sentence? 6 months in prison? A year?

@Dawg
@middleview
@Constitutional Sheepdog
@FakeName

Who did I miss?
"Stolen Valor" is a crime signed into law by Obama in 2013. The law made it a federal crime to fraudulently claim to be a recipient of certain military decorations, or medals, in order to obtain money, property, or other tangible benefit.

Now if we could just make it a law to prevent cowards from using fraudulent claims to avoid military service.

Dawg

President
Supporting Member
Stolen Valor should be a crime. It's a Federal crime to impersonate an officer which is why most stolen valor assclowns claim to be enlisted personnel, but I strongly believe any person who claims to be a vet and isn't should be criminally prosecuted.

This, as many other forums, have many members who claim to be vets. Almost always claiming to be formerly enlisted personnel. That's not unusual since the ratio of enlisted to officers in the military is about 10 to 1. Still, and sadly, it's not a crime to claim to be a veteran as long as it's not a claim to be an officer.
Agree...…….

WTF does being an officer make the difference...…...a Veteran is a Veteran E-1 through 5 * General...…...VA appointments don't ask if I'm an Officer.....

Last edited:

Constitutional Sheepdog

][][][%er!!!!!!!
Agree...…….

WTF does being an officer make the difference...…...a Veteran is a Veteran E-1 through 5 * General...…...VA appointments don't ask if I'm an Officer.....
He's confusing the two, a veteran is a veteran regardless if Noncom or officer. IMPERSONATING AN OFFICER WOULD MEAN OFFICER OF THE LAW
Such as Police officer.

Max R.

On the road
Supporting Member
"Stolen Valor" is a crime signed into law by Obama in 2013. The law made it a federal crime to fraudulently claim to be a recipient of certain military decorations, or medals, in order to obtain money, property, or other tangible benefit.

Now if we could just make it a law to prevent cowards from using fraudulent claims to avoid military service.
The bill only covers false claims of medals of valor. It's still legal to wear a uniform and falsely claim veteran status as long as it's an enlisted rank.

It is against the law to lie in order to dodge the draft. However, rich guys like Limbaugh and Trump generously pay doctors to fill out the claim. I'm sure there's a kernel of truth in those claims, but the doctor is free to exaggerate the effect.

Max R.

On the road
Supporting Member
Agree...…….

It's a federal crime to impersonate an officer. That's why the stolen valor douchebags always claim to be enlisted.

Here, let me help you understand: https://tingenwilliams.com/2018/fake-military-background/27762

Correct, the VA doesn't care about rank but if someone falsely claims veteran status in order to obtain medical benefits, that's also a crime.

OldTrapper

Council Member
The bill only covers false claims of medals of valor. It's still legal to wear a uniform and falsely claim veteran status as long as it's an enlisted rank.

It is against the law to lie in order to dodge the draft. However, rich guys like Limbaugh and Trump generously pay doctors to fill out the claim. I'm sure there's a kernel of truth in those claims, but the doctor is free to exaggerate the effect.
The law itself does not distinguish between enlisted, and officer:

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/704