• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

Sudan

I have a soft spot for Sudan. In 81 I backpacked from Lake Aswan through the entire country to Uganda over a period of a month in the middle of summer. It was over 120 every day. I spent two weeks on the Nile in the biggest swamp in the world. The people are wonderful south of Khartoum. In Khartoum there was heavy Islamic control over the population by a dictator. There was also a civil war going on, went right through it on the way to Uganda. I lost about 30 pounds that month. At one point I was starving after eating only a can of halvah, an onion and a cucumber every day for two weeks. I learned the hard way what it means to be hungry. I can tell you that it takes any of us about a week and all of us will start thinking about food constantly. After a couple weeks, you will eat anything. I ate fresh meat covered in flies. Ate dried fish that I had to pick maggots off. I remember landing on a bank and seeing a few corn stalks near a shamba. We ran to them and ate the corn right off the plants without asking the owners. I got out of there by trading what was left of a Playboy to a trucker for a 1000 mile free ride to Nairobi. Best damn purchase I ever made.