• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

Survey says: "radical secularism"

JV-12

Mayor
From USA Today:
http://www.usatoday.com/news/religion/story/2011-12-25/religion-god-atheism-so-what/52195274/1?csp=hf

As Christmas Day glides by — all gilt, no substance — for many, clergy and religion experts are dismayed. They fear for souls' salvation and for the common threads of faith snapping in society. Others see no such dire consequences to a more openly secular America as people not only fess up to being faithless but admit they're also skipping out on being “spiritual,” the cool default word of the decade, as well. Researchers have begun asking the kind of nuanced questions that reveal just how big the “So what?” set might be:

•44% told the 2011 Baylor University Religion Survey they spend no time seeking "eternal wisdom," and 19% said "it's useless to search for meaning."

•46% told a 2011 survey by Nashville-based evangelical research agency, LifeWay Research, they never wonder whether they will go to heaven.

•28% told LifeWay "it's not a major priority in my life to find my deeper purpose." And 18% scoffed at the idea that God has a purpose or plan for everyone.

-------------------------------------------------------

Now this may not come as to any concern of yours, but I bring it up because for me I am astounded. Why are Americans not taking God seriously? Why are they not taking death and judgment seriously? Why has the concerted effort for prosperity in this life for themselves and their family become their almost sole endeavor? This to me is the main reason our nation, our economy, our government and corporate leadership and our culture are in a free fall.

I also suspect that the majority of those of us who are in favor of serving God are not really all that dedicated or obedient either.

I supplement the survey above with Pope Benedict’s comments this week to American bishops.

------------------------------------------------------------

VATICAN CITY (CNS) -- Pope Benedict XVI warned visiting U.S. bishops that "radical secularism" threatens the core values of American culture, and he called on the church in America, including politicians and other laypeople, to render "public moral witness" on crucial social issues.

The pope spoke Jan. 19 to a group of U.S. bishops who were in Rome for their periodic "ad limina" visits, which included meetings with the pope and Vatican officials, covering a wide range of pastoral matters.

Opening with a dire assessment of the state of American society, the pope told the bishops that "powerful new cultural currents" have worn away the country's traditional moral consensus, which was originally based on religious faith as well as ethical principles derived from natural law.

Whether they claim the authority of science or democracy, the pope said, militant secularists seek to stifle the church's proclamation of these "unchanging moral truths." Such a movement inevitably leads to the prevalence of "reductionist and totalitarian readings of the human person and the nature of society."

http://www.catholicnews.com/data/stories/cns/1200227.htm

OldGaffer

Governor
We have freedom from religion in this country, we do not have to be religious, and my family has been free thinkers for generations. I am free to slam my door on missionaries and evangelicals and I do.

JV-12

Mayor
We have freedom from religion in this country, we do not have to be religious, and my family has been free thinkers for generations. I am free to slam my door on missionaries and evangelicals and I do.
Bravo, I am glad. But I do not think that was my point (i.e. your freedom).

JV-12

Mayor
And applying Zombie Philosophy to "spiritual purpose" - how does one distinguish between a world in which spiritual purpose exists and one in which it does not?
Well, if after all evidence and considerations you conclude that Christianity is nothing but some esoteric zombie philosophy, I do not see how I can possibly satisfy your question with an answer.

OldGaffer

Governor
Well unless you have certainty as to what happens when you die, I would think such a matter would be important to any reasonably intelligent mortal.
I know exactly what happens when you die, the same thing that happens to every other living organism on this planet, you get recycled. But your mind, your self, is gone forever, like it never existed.

JV-12

Mayor
the matter is very important. its your opinion of my spiritual purpose that is irrelevant

And as long as you feel it is perfectly reasonable to choose the opinions that satisfy you only, then "importance" loses all its meaning.

JV-12

Mayor
I know exactly what happens when you die, the same thing that happens to every other living organism on this planet, you get recycled. But your mind, your self, is gone forever, like it never existed.
And I know you are sadly mistaken. But I also know you have no interest in being shown that.

OldGaffer

Governor
And I know you are sadly mistaken. But I also know you have no interest in being shown that.
And you have absolutely no scientific evidence of anything more than my statement. Humans have "believed" everything from Zeus, to Odin, to any number of gods and doctrines, they are all dust in the wind. No "soul" has been measured, seen, weighed, or shown to exist in any form. Science fiction has more believable scenarios.

Friday13

Governor
We have freedom from religion in this country, we do not have to be religious...
That is the part of the Constitution that people like JV fail to recognize. No state religion, no governing by religion.

(I'm giving you a star for truth [even tho the stars have lost their value])

Friday13

Governor
Wrong, JV. You don't "know" that...you believe it. You are obviously not dead, therefore you cannot verify that it is true, but you believe that it is.

JV-12

Mayor
Wrong, JV. You don't "know" that...you believe it. You are obviously not dead, therefore you cannot verify that it is true, but you believe that it is.
Sorry, I have it in the "know" category. Many people "gifted with divine revelations" did not have to die to know either. They number in the many thousands.

Plus a number of souls in purgatory have been allowed or instructed by God to come back and witness to select holy souls still living here on earth. The evidence is quite arresting.