• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

Survey says: "radical secularism"

JV-12

Mayor
Kinda recursive isn't it?

Hmm and how would you describe someone who created a society designed to just love and venerate him, and tithe to him, all the while contributing nothing of additional value to that society?
Recursive, how so? The heart, soul, strength and mind is used to bring greater emphasis to its importance. Sometimes that acts as an aid to the reader, just as do exclamation points and phrases like "let him who has ears take listen."

To your second question: I really do not follow at all? If you think Christians who have civilized barabaric Europe, civilized the Americas, sacrificed life and limb to educate, care for and evangelize pagans have added no value to society, well... are we even talking the same language?

Bo-4

Senator
Oh, I shouldn't? Based on what?.... your understanding of the universe?

I embrace Christianity, not on faith alone, not by a long shot. I am convinced of it based upon empirical evidence alone. And given that... Jesus is quite adamant that every believer must witness to the world and not keep his knowledge / gift to himself.

Sorry, Bo, but I am following orders. Orderst that millions if not billions are eternally grateful that we took the time.

I appreciate your concern as well.
Religion and/or spiritualism is a highly personal thing. So your "empirical evidence" is nothing other than your own personal beliefs, which are unwise to foist on others.

JV-12

Mayor
Do you even know what "zombie Philosophy" is??? The idea was coined by a defender of religious faith. Read up on it before you dismiss it http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/zombies/
No, I do not know what zombie philosophy is, sorry, I am not going to read up on it, but if you summarize it for me I will read that.

I have heard others refer to Jesus as a zombie (died and then roamed the earth) and that was close enough for my suspicions.

I dismiss quite a few things without reading up on them, because I have grounds to. That is, if what I believe is true (Jesus, et al.) then their contentions cannot.

JV-12

Mayor
Religion and/or spiritualism is a highly personal thing. So your "empirical evidence" is nothing other than your own personal beliefs, which are unwise to foist on others.
No, you are wrong. Your opinion that my empirical evidence is nothing more than a personal belief is merely your opinion. You are standing firm that God cannot reveal Himself to someone who is living. Consequently, you reject any evidence because it does not fit your model. Sorry.

JV-12

Mayor
So you are saying Kant was wrong?

what "empirical evidence? Name one independently verifiable bit of empirical evidence that exists.

because if you can, you and I are going to split $1,000,000
Yes, Kant is wrong. Is he your prophet? Mine is St. Augustine and St. Catherine of Sienna and Lucia of Fatima, and maybe a few hundred more who also say Kant is wrong.

If Randi acts any way like the many posters here and on Slate when given empirical evidence, then their dishonesty or subterfuge is what is on trial here, not my evidence.

Bo-4

Senator
No, you are wrong. Your opinion that my empirical evidence is nothing more than a personal belief is merely your opinion. You are standing firm that God cannot reveal Himself to someone who is living. Consequently, you reject any evidence because it does not fit your model. Sorry.
JV.. dude seriously, degs and i still await your "empirical evidence". :D

I believe that life has purpose and is no accident. However, the concept of Heaven and Hell are nothing more than concepts invented by man in order to explain their existence.

There is no need for such an explanation for those who are secure with themselves.

JV-12

Mayor
JV.. dude seriously, degs and i still await your "empirical evidence". :D

I believe that life has purpose and is no accident. However, the concept of Heaven and Hell are nothing more than concepts invented by man in order to explain their existence.

There is no need for such an explanation for those who are secure with themselves.

Ok, nice. But do tell me, what does “secure with themselves” mean? Does it mean that the dude is either, one, happy just to be blotted out of existence after death, or, two, take his chances on his fate if there is a God?

Neither one of those spell “security” to me in any way, shape or form. In fact, if I were in that condition of riding those two options, I would go mad.

Now as to your asking me for empirical evidence… I am not inclined to detail all of the documented miracles for your skimming over and scoffing once again. The reason I remain adamant they are supernatural signs from God (i.e. empirical evidence) is because all of the alternative explanations or guesses that have come from viewers like you on these message boards have been embarrassing in plausibility or reality, IMO. All of the explanations that have come from science experts or expert skeptics like Randi or Penn Gillette on shows hosted by PBS, A&E, CNN, etc., have been equally embarrassing in my opinion. Hence, they give me absolutely no reason to doubt what my eyes have seen, what history has documented, and what thousands of eye witnesses have testified to.

When the only explanation for the Fatima miracle, one that was documented in Lisbon newspapers to occur 90 days in advance of the date it happened --- when the only explanation offered by skeptics of today is “mass hallucination,” well, that pretty much tells me they have lost the argument. It tells me that because it happened some years ago they can play it off, amuse their colleagues, and pretend it was nothing more than some zealot seeing the face of Jesus in their muffin.

And that goes for many other profound manifestations that remain without explanation where the skeptics just pretend they have debunked them, when in reality they haven’t come close to so doing.

BobbyT

Governor
Well, I guess that is what the pope means by radical secularism. The philosophy you just laid out allows for living one's life as though there is no judgment, living one's life as though this is all that matters. To me, it is rather insulting to our own intelligence and experience. But if you think that this world, the complexity of life, the range of emotions and thought of mankind, et al. could have come into being by some infinitely improbable chance of happenstance, then there is your world. But for me, that presupposition is as unreasonable as it can get. Man is not animal, man is rational. We were given something far greater than all those other genetic creatures you allude to. God is manifest and explains it all quite well. But if we are to go your route, then that surely allows each person to seek pleasure and comfort and lusts with impunity. Sounds rather selfish and ungrateful to me.
JV – I didn’t say anything at all about living one’s life as though there is no judgment (although I remain skeptical about after-death judgment). I also didn’t say anything about each person seeking pleasure and comfort and lusts with impunity. You’re projecting and your implications are insulting – one doesn’t have to believe in a god to have a sense of morality and the basic idea of “do unto others….”

Man is most certainly an animal, with the same sense of self preservation and drive to procreate that all other animals on earth have. Men have an penis and testes like all other mammals. Women bear live young and nurse them from their bodies. There are animals that have fairly complex communication systems, that clearly grieve, that pair-bond for life, that care tenderly for their young. If animals have evolved have these abilities and emotions, why wouldn’t we have evolved to have them too? I think hubris resides in putting ourselves above all other creatures on earth.

JV-12

Mayor
Winning the lottery is a miracle too.. but someone always does eventually. ;-)
Now what purpose did that post serve? Surely not to define the word "miracle" for us?

But staying on that point; when the odds become astronomical, nearing infinite, then if something occurs you might call it a miracle. Case in point: Some scientists / mathemeticians have calculated the odds of one DNA molecule coming together ---- that is,the exact order necessary of all the amino acid types, etc. in order to form one DNA molecule. The odds were so high (something like 10 to the 80th power) that they rendered it impossible. But do not let that stop the atheists from proclaiming evolution without an intelligent designer and all the other tricky maneuvers along the way, the take for granted, or at least, are so grateful to "mother nature."

(was my question what "secure with themselves" meant not worth the effort?)

Bo-4

Senator
The odds of many things that happen in life are infinitesimal. Yet happen they do because a million possibilities swirl around at all times and sometimes collide in miraculous ways.

I define being secure with oneself in many ways. But in this instance, it simply means that i do not need to go on a perpetual goose chase to find ways of explaining my existence in the universe and what happens to me after i die.

I find philosophy and religion fascinating. In college i started taking classes in eastern religion. I find the concepts of Karma and reincarnation more viable and far less simplistic than western religious doctrine. Not human to animal or anything bizarre such as that. Simply that life is a lesson. We learn from our mistakes, or continue making them.

It's a process that can go on for dozens or hundreds of lifetimes. I'd rather think of my existence in those terms, than believe that the concept of Christianity (one of hundreds of religions in the world) is the correct one and everyone else is wrong. You want to spend eternity on a cloud playing a harp? I don't.. boring.

JV-12

Mayor
The odds of many things that happen in life are infinitesimal. Yet happen they do because a million possibilities swirl around at all times and sometimes collide in miraculous ways.

Therefore, you do not question the possibility that a human being’s ancestors were amoeba’s or clams? Is that what you are saying? That without a God, these primitive animals could have somehow provided the impetus to grow eyeballs, backbones and brains? And from the looks of the fossil landscape, almost zero trials and errors. Sorry, this assumption is reserved for the medically insane. That is, for someone to assume it happened “by chance” with no intelligent designer because here we are (humans) and there is no sign of him (God) is incomprehensible.

I define being secure with oneself in many ways. But in this instance, it simply means that i do not need to go on a perpetual goose chase to find ways of explaining my existence in the universe and what happens to me after i die.

Not to ponder what happens when one dies truly astounds me. That is, if life has any meaning at all to you then so would the possibility it continues. To also ignore all of the teachings and evidence for a life after death is really immensely selfish or lazy in most cases, from my perspective.

I find philosophy and religion fascinating. In college i started taking classes in eastern religion. I find the concepts of Karma and reincarnation more viable and far less simplistic than western religious doctrine.

Yes, but without empirical evidence to validate its reality. Man can imagine what God is like or what “the great beyond” is like all he wants, but so what? What good is that since it has no proof of its veracity? Jesus and His religion, on the other hand, have compelling evidence of its truthfulness. It clearly behooves an individual to pay attention because where they spend eternity may be in the balance.

Not human to animal or anything bizarre such as that. Simply that life is a lesson. We learn from our mistakes, or continue making them.

Learn what??? To ignore the greater truths and just concentrate on simple stuff like what you will eat today and do you have enough money to care for your needs tomorrow? Quite honestly, in your case I wonder if you have learned from your mistakes?

It's a process that can go on for dozens or hundreds of lifetimes. I'd rather think of my existence in those terms, than believe that the concept of Christianity (one of hundreds of religions in the world) is the correct one and everyone else is wrong. You want to spend eternity on a cloud playing a harp? I don't.. boring.

I feel for you Bo-4. To try to reduce Christianity to nothing more than “one of a hundred religions” shows no real interest or understanding. To try to reduce eternity to “playing a harp on a cloud” once again shows no serious interest in God or life after death. Oblivion is not always bliss.

JV-12

Mayor
JV – I didn’t say anything at all about living one’s life as though there is no judgment (although I remain skeptical about after-death judgment).

Well maybe you should be thinking about it just the same.

I also didn’t say anything about each person seeking pleasure and comfort and lusts with impunity. You’re projecting and your implications are insulting – one doesn’t have to believe in a god to have a sense of morality and the basic idea of “do unto others….”

Well I am old enough to have experienced a large enough sample size, personally. In my experience, people who have no interest in God are not inclined to be more kind or charitable or well-behaved. Quite the opposite. When you have no accountability, you are more likely to do things that benefit you, no matter how selfish. And if I can take that a bit further, I am not impressed with the generosity of an “unchurched” man with his family and friends. You know what Jesus says about that kind of generosity? ---- (paraphrase) “Big deal. Even the worst of sinners all do that much to those closest to themselves.”

Man is most certainly an animal, with the same sense of self preservation and drive to procreate that all other animals on earth have. Men have an penis and testes like all other mammals. Women bear live young and nurse them from their bodies. There are animals that have fairly complex communication systems, that clearly grieve, that pair-bond for life, that care tenderly for their young. If animals have evolved have these abilities and emotions, why wouldn’t we have evolved to have them too? I think hubris resides in putting ourselves above all other creatures on earth.

Ho, hum. You know what I believe? If man is so filled with pride and so adamant about doing things his own way, God will give them enough rope to hang themselves with. So if there are fools clever enough to convince man that we could have gotten here without God, we could have evolved from inorganic matter all without God, then man is eager to here that message so he does not have to follow any rules and he can be his lazy, lustful self.

Yes, BobbyT, I know it sounds cruel on my behalf, but you are a mature, intelligent sort, and so is the audience here. If there are so easily scarred by accusatory words, then maybe the shoe fits? If not, then no harm, no foul. My point is this; I am tired of arguments that lack reason or common sense. For these people around here to still insist there is “no proof for God,” well, tell me, how much patience should one retain? You want to talk insulting, that is insulting!

As to your claim that man is an animal, yes, perhaps, but you are missing the greater reality, IMO. You have allowed science and educators convince you that the difference between man and ape is a few generations of evolution. How insane. Man is light years beyond any chimp or dolphin or whale in intelligence, in emotional capacities, in rational thought and so on. Man is rational, no other animal is. Man is created in the image of God, God said nothing about the other animals except that they are here to serve man, but we should also care for them. Like I said, God will give proud man enough rope to hang himself with if he chooses to ignore all of God’s signs and invocations. Hubris is not putting ourselves above the other creatures, hubris is ignoring God. And the more material and comfortable man has gotten, the more he has ignored his Creator.

Friday13

Governor
I do like the way you think, BobbyT. Mankind not only "put themselves above all other creatures on earth", but most believe that we are the ultimate intelligence in the universe/multiverse/omniverse because "god created us to be". Such arrogance from such a (still) primitive species!

Friday13

Governor
civilized the Americas, sacrificed life and limb to educate, care for and evangelize pagans
If you actually see this as the truth, you are sadly deluded. If enslaving, torturing, burning alive, slaughtering in other ways is what you call "caring for"...if you consider "believe as you are told or die" is "evangelizing"...