1. Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?
    Dismiss Notice

Survivors..... or not.

Discussion in 'Military and War' started by freyasman, May 11, 2014.

1. freyasman

freyasman Governor

I just got an e-mail from my buddy BI; another one of our guys killed himself. That makes 3 in the last couple years....

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. fairsheet

fairsheet Senator

Those who serve their country like that, should find themselves in a BETTER position after it's over, not a worse one. We need to pay some attention to fixing this.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. freyasman

freyasman Governor

We can only help each other, and ourselves.... nobody else can ever do anything for us.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. fairsheet

fairsheet Senator

I don't buy that.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. freyasman

freyasman Governor

http://iaimtomisbehave.blogspot.com/2014/04/i-think-i-broke-her.html
    From the link:
    "But it also made me think about a fundamental problem we have in helping combat veterans adjust back to "normal" life in this country - the fact that the vast majority of the people attempting to do so have no common basis of experience with which to communicate. I suppose the closest I could relate would be in thinking about rape victims, and how someone who has never been through that will never have the common ground - not equating combat with rape by any means, but just as a level of internal change. That maybe instead of throwing a room full of PhD's at the problem, we'd be better served as a society with sitting them down with other people who've seen the elephant and can possibly relate on that level. Because in the modern world we have fewer of the warrior caste than ever, and perhaps we need to do a better job of sitting around the campfire and sharing our stories.

Maybe that will help us all in ways they never will."

It doesn't matter what you "buy"....

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. Jen

Jen #walkaway

My son hoped he might make the Army his career. He is an officer, Airborne and did a tour in Afghanistan. But noticing what happens to Vets, he has decided to get out. It's just not worth it to put his body in jeopardy for years to get thrown to the curb when he retires. I am relieved.

7. freyasman

freyasman Governor

I thought when we came back, I could quit worrying about my people dying bloody.... I was wrong.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. ElGringo

ElGringo Mayor

My condolences freyasman, unfortunately this is all too common. My unit suffered suicides too and it isn't easy to deal with especially when some of them were dealing with Gulf War Syndrome and the government basically turned their back on them and told them they were crazy even though they knew GWS was real. Homelessness and inability to hold down a job are problems too. You are right when you say no one else can (or will) help, none of the GWS sufferers from my old unit are alive today.

9. freyasman

freyasman Governor

3 suicides, LC was gunned down in her front yard, Mac's cancer killed him, and ER has been off the grid and unreachable for the last year, (probably dead).... 5 more years, and none of us will be left.

10. Sorry for the loss...

Losing a brother is more harder because of what all of you went through...

My prayers with you, and hope you will be alright...

11. freyasman

freyasman Governor

a few years ago someone started a "Survivors Association" on FB for all of us. I don't do FB , so I've never spent much time there.... the list of "survivors" is dwindling fast. More of us dead outside of Afghanistan, than inside.

12. Jen

Jen #walkaway

It was/ is the same with my son.

13. fairsheet

fairsheet Senator

Your shout-response was sadly way off base. I suggested that WE Americans need to address this issue. You said that you're all by your lonesome. I KNOW you're all by your lonesome (which obviates your shout response).

American veterans of WWII, Korea, and to some extent Vietnam, had the "luxury" of a much broader combat veteran "community" when they got home, than do our current combat veterans. You can continue to cry in your "woe is me" beer as you like. But...don't hate on ME for suggesting that WE Americans should address this issue.

14. freyasman

freyasman Governor

What "shout response"? What do you mean? And I wasn't "hating" on you, BTW, I'm just noticing (just like the guy in the link) that we are a small group that is getting smaller every day.

15. fairsheet

fairsheet Senator

I apologize for my snarky response. All I'm trying to say is that you guys shouldn't have to address this alone and....it's probably not the best, for you to handle it alone.

16. freyasman

freyasman Governor

All communication (real communication) requires some sort of common ground. The people who need the help won't engage with those who don't have similar experiences because they can't relate to us. And because they look at us as though we're broken.... that's not a good feeling, especially when it comes from someone who couldn't have done the things we did.

17. freyasman

freyasman Governor

In this, we are alone....

18. Have you ever served?

Simple yes or no is all that is needed...

I was military from the 1988 until 2000, and did not go back in after 9-11-2001 even though I should have...

Losing your brothers after a war is something that eat at you daily and those that never served will never know the feeling...

These are men and women you served with and to see them die outside the battlefield is hard and maybe even harder because expect death in war but not in civi life, at least not until we are pissing our pants while wearing depends...

So before reacting to Freys response or to my response maybe take a moment and reflect on the fact that even though you feel sorrow for those like us it still is no comfort to me at least because unless you have been in my boots, and have seen what I have seen then your pity just feel shallow and hallow even if you are being sincere with it, and speaking for myself and not for Frey...

Thank You,

Union Jack

• Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  19. fairsheet

fairsheet Senator

I suggested my willingness to do whatever I can to help. These silly and kneejerk attacks are sad.

20. Frey,

All I can say is I do understand, and I wish there was a way to make it easier, but my friend there never is...

The scars are deep, the lost is huge, and the feeling of darkness is strong, but when you feel the reality slipping away just take a moment and look at your wife, and if you have children them too, and remember that all you did, and all that has been lost over there and here is all for them, and without you they would be feeling the darkness you feel now...

God Bless

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1