• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

SW... about those bots

i hope you're wrong and fear you're right.

The other parties "don't really count" because too many people are locked into the idea of a two-party system. The people can change that. The last time they did, the county was in turmoil and deeply divided over issues at the core of our nationhood. The issues now are different and the geography is different but the turmoil and divisiveness are similar.

You get to the true heart of the matter, as you so often do. It's the mind set that has to change. That's what I meant above by reaching people. Parties -- major or minor -- are umbrellas under which people gather. They serve their function, so long as people see the storm and then use them properly.
The actual indoctrination has been going on, in education, since the 1970s - before that there was a large movement which wished for 'peace on earth' with Vietnam as the backdrop and Korea and the European wars and the end of the Empires, and aftermaths, still clear in the minds of the living. That wish for peace and a fairer world was usurped and simplified - sold on to unformed minds - if it was deeply imbedded into an unformed mind and if it is a half truth - that which appeals to the unsophisticated and children of 'love all creatures great and small' ignoring history and or conflicting cultures - where have those 50 year long mind sets to go? It is the truth within the lie which is the killer of free thought, of discernment -the pied piper strikes again, I fear.

SW48

Administrator
Staff member
Supporting Member
We all know who they are. They spam the page everyday. Never have I seen anything worthy to be called a top post. We get 20-50 pot shots every day and all they are doing is flooding your platform, dominating the visual aspect of what readers see when they come to PJ.

It's your gig, so you know what you need to let happen. It gets old, posting with them... they spew out the same material over and over, it's like talking to a recording on the phone.
I guess if we had a paid site and could police every post it would be nice and clean and promote discussion. Unfortunately the site barely pays for itself.

bdtex

Administrator
Staff member
I guess if we had a paid site and could police every post it would be nice and clean and promote discussion. Unfortunately the site barely pays for itself.
And the ones complaining the most in this thread think they are part of the solution and not the problem.

Jen

Senator
And the ones complaining the most in this thread think they are part of the solution and not the problem.
I was one who posted quite a bit to this thread so I have to assume you consider me to be part of the problem (whatever the bot problem is). I don't know much about forum bots and this thread was informative (to a point and then the subject changed).

I love this board and that you have called me a troll more than once and now (possibly at least) are referring to me as one of the "problems" is crushing. I am sorry if I infect your board and otherwise create "problems".

I rarely report anything these days. I try to avoid personal fights. I will not write to SW anymore and haven't written to him in months. I post things that I think will create posting traffic for the board. That you may see it as a "problem" seems odd.

IF I am a problem for the board, please tell me exactly how I am a problem and how I can fix it @bdtex .

SW48

Administrator
Staff member
Supporting Member
I was one who posted quite a bit to this thread so I have to assume you consider me to be part of the problem (whatever the bot problem is). I don't know much about forum bots and this thread was informative (to a point and then the subject changed).

I love this board and that you have called me a troll more than once and now (possibly at least) are referring to me as one of the "problems" is crushing. I am sorry if I infect your board and otherwise create "problems".

I rarely report anything these days. I try to avoid personal fights. I will not write to SW anymore and haven't written to him in months. I post things that I think will create posting traffic for the board. That you may see it as a "problem" seems odd.

IF I am a problem for the board, please tell me exactly how I am a problem and how I can fix it @bdtex .
I don't believe there are any bots on this site unless the person is referring to a poster that copies and pastes new threads as being a "bot". There are no automated users that post things that aren't actual people.

Days

Commentator
I don't think the bots are a problem, I've been posting with bots for over a decade; bots are part of the landscape.

The problem I am pointing to is the lack of debate. Debate isn't missing, but no one wants to engage in a full debate, and the bots simply are not capable of it. It's a long term project, but it is something to think about. Bringing back some form of threadview would help, but it isn't going to suddenly springboard a vibrant lively board of debate bustling with opinions and great ideas... the mood of the nation controls that.

Nothing is wrong, but it could be better, not sure how your thinking went to policing every post; that would be the worst thing to do... the place is already subdued, it needs to loosen up. All I was pointing out was that the bots are not going to engage in debate because they are not programmed to do so; it doesn't require any action from you, I'm hoping the people running the bots catch my drift and try to head in that direction; the bots are getting close to having that capability, if you could dig up some type of threadview that works with your architecture and the programmers took to teaching the bots to debate... that could be interesting.

Days

Commentator
I don't believe there are any bots on this site unless the person is referring to a poster that copies and pastes new threads as being a "bot". There are no automated users that post things that aren't actual people.
how would you know that? the bots pick up a nic and start posting... how would you know if it is a human or artificial intelligence?

SW48

Administrator
Staff member
Supporting Member
I don't think the bots are a problem, I've been posting with bots for over a decade; bots are part of the landscape.

The problem I am pointing to is the lack of debate. Debate isn't missing, but no one wants to engage in a full debate, and the bots simply are not capable of it. It's a long term project, but it is something to think about. Bringing back some form of threadview would help, but it isn't going to suddenly springboard a vibrant lively board of debate bustling with opinions and great ideas... the mood of the nation controls that.

Nothing is wrong, but it could be better, not sure how your thinking went to policing every post; that would be the worst thing to do... the place is already subdued, it needs to loosen up. All I was pointing out was that the bots are not going to engage in debate because they are not programmed to do so; it doesn't require any action from you, I'm hoping the people running the bots catch my drift and try to head in that direction; the bots are getting close to having that capability, if you could dig up some type of threadview that works with your architecture and the programmers took to teaching the bots to debate... that could be interesting.
There is no threaded view option with this software.

SW48

Administrator
Staff member
Supporting Member
how would you know that? the bots pick up a nic and start posting... how would you know if it is a human or artificial intelligence?
Because they respond.

For it to be a bot it would login and post a new thread and then would never respond in the thread. Yes or no?

Do you have an example of a bot here? Maybe I am wrong, I'm not here much from April to October.

Days

Commentator
Because they respond.

For it to be a bot it would login and post a new thread and then would never respond in the thread. Yes or no?

Do you have an example of a bot here? Maybe I am wrong, I'm not here much from April to October.
the ai respond, one of the things that tell me it is ai is the responsive nature of ai; where humans are not always here and can go dark for days or weeks or even months, the bots are very responsive. Watch me, I will lose track of threads, happens all the time, but not to the bots. And bots will leave, I've seen zig-zag posting on YouTube, once they have years invested in a nic, they keep it running. There are at least as many bots posting on the internet as humans. I'm sure we get more than our fair share of bots in this forum, but it is a challenge for the bots to handle the long term relationships. You are more than likely a proving ground for cutting edge ai.

SW48

Administrator
Staff member
Supporting Member
the ai respond, one of the things that tell me it is ai is the responsive nature of ai; where humans are not always here and can go dark for days or weeks or even months, the bots are very responsive. Watch me, I will lose track of threads, happens all the time, but not to the bots. And bots will leave, I've seen zig-zag posting on YouTube, once they have years invested in a nic, they keep it running. There are at least as many bots posting on the internet as humans. I'm sure we get more than our fair share of bots in this forum, but it is a challenge for the bots to handle the long term relationships. You are more than likely a proving ground for cutting edge ai.
I guess we have a different definition of bot.

SW48

Administrator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Don't they come out with updates? I thought by now, someone would have released something for this type software. sigh.
They update all the time just no threaded views.

Jen

Senator
I have never thought automated users made posts. I still don't think that.

Jen

Senator
They update all the time just no threaded views.
Even without threaded view this site has the most pleasing look to it of any site I've seen.

As I told Days, threaded view would be very nice, but it still comes down to posters posting in the right way to make it work. Poster error will still occur even if we had a threaded view.

With the way I have this site set up with alerts, I never miss posts made to me and I feel discussion is fine when posters want it to be and post accordingly.

Jen

Senator
I thought bots were on sites to scan for advertising. I didn't think bots ever posted.

bdtex

Administrator
Staff member
There aren't any "bots" posting here. This thread was started to take shots at other posters without there being a real discussion topic.

Days

Commentator
There aren't any "bots" posting here. This thread was started to take shots at other posters without there being a real discussion topic.
No, not at all, first of all, why would I do that? I don't have any pissing wars going ... and if I did, I would let you know directly, I don't beat around the bush.

me thinks you are a tad naive about the bots, did you know there were bots posting at the fray?