• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

Syria: The ultimate Middle East mess

Bugsy McGurk

President
For the longest time, we had to listen to people, especially deranged right wing kooks like John McCain, argue that we should arm the rebels fighting the Assad government. Who are those rebels? Various al Qaeda affiliates and ISIS, who are keeping very busy cutting peoples' heads off and otherwise slaughtering people.

But then ISIS cut off an American's head, and started slaughtering the Azidis in Iraq. The right wing kooks, including McCain then did a 180 - they want us to now go to war against those very same rebels they wanted armed, including bombing them in Syria, thereby boosting the very same Assad regime that they previously wanted to bring down.

Fortunately, Obama resisted the dopes urging that the terrorists in Syria be boosted by the USA - they are strong enough as it is. And now we do face a difficult question - whether to bomb the vicious terrorists in Syria, which would allow Assad a better chance to hang on, after listening to right wing kooks argue that we must do everything we can to bring down Assad.

The morale of the story is that meddling in such Middle East affairs is a fool's errand, at least until our own interests are directly implicated. Or, as Obama put it - don't do stupid stuff.

Colorforms

Senator
For the longest time, we had to listen to people, especially deranged right wing kooks like John McCain, argue that we should arm the rebels fighting the Assad government. Who are those rebels? Various al Qaeda affiliates and ISIS, who are keeping very busy cutting peoples' heads off and otherwise slaughtering people.

But then ISIS cut off an American's head, and started slaughtering the Azidis in Iraq. The right wing kooks, including McCain then did a 180 - they want us to now go to war against those very same rebels they wanted armed, including bombing them in Syria, thereby boosting the very same Assad regime that they previously wanted to bring down.

Fortunately, Obama resisted the dopes urging that the terrorists in Syria be boosted by the USA - they are strong enough as it is. And now we do face a difficult question - whether to bomb the vicious terrorists in Syria, which would allow Assad a better chance to hang on, after listening to right wing kooks argue that we must do everything we can to bring down Assad.

The morale of the story is that meddling in such Middle East affairs is a fool's errand, at least until our own interests are directly implicated. Or, as Obama put it - don't do stupid stuff.
Rebels from northern and eastern Syria on Wednesday threatened to lay down their arms in a week if the country’s exiled opposition does not help them fight the jihadist Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS).

“We, the leaders of the brigades and battalions... give the National Coalition, the (opposition) interim government, the (rebel) Supreme Military Council and all the leading bodies of the Syrian revolution a week to send reinforcements and complete aid,” the statement said.

The statement comes days after U.S. President Barack Obama called on Congress to approve $500 million to train and equip the moderate Syrian opposition.

It also follows a visit late last week by Secretary of State John Kerry to Saudi Arabia, during which he said: “The moderate Syrian opposition... has the ability to be a very important player in pushing back against (the jihadists’) presence.”
http://english.alarabiya.net/en/News/2014/07/02/Syrian-rebels-threaten-to-quit-fight-against-ISIS-.html

Bugsy McGurk

President
That's just more of the fictional narrative holding that it's possible for us to "sort out" such rebels and make sure that US arms only go to them, and not "the bad rebels." In Iraq we provided an array of our most sophisticated weaponry, inluding heavy amror and artillery, to those we considered to be "the good guys." Now ISIS has it.

Pretending that we can "manage chaos" in such a way is a pipe dream.

But in any event, the very people who wanted us boosting those who opposed the Assad regime now want us to attack those who oppose the Assad regime.

Insanity.

Colorforms

Senator
That's just more of the fictional narrative holding that it's possible for us to "sort out" such rebels and make sure that US arms only go to them, and not "the bad rebels." In Iraq we provided an array of our most sophisticated weaponry, inluding heavy amror and artillery, to those we considered to be "the good guys." Now ISIS has it.

Pretending that we can "manage chaos" in such a way is a pipe dream.

But in any event, the very people who wanted us boosting those who opposed the Assad regime now want us to attack those who oppose the Assad regime.

Insanity.
The alternatives being commit our troops to a prolonged invasion of Iraq, or hide in the corner and hope they don't come after us.

Colorforms

Senator
Jeez, you recommend that we invade Iraq again?

How about Syria - should we invade that nation too?
So you're for option #2. Good to know.

Just wait for them to pull another Boston bombing or 911 and treat it as a police matter. Sounds like a liberal.

If your messiah didn't have the strategic acumen of a flatworm, we could have armed the Kurdish forces when they were offering to fight ISIS for us, and saved many of the towns now under control. I don't know why he didn't, since he had no problem arming Mexican drug cartels with some pretty nice weapons for 1.99 each plus tax.

Barry broke this, and he doesn't have the intelligence to deal with it.

Indeed. Look at this right wing nutjob demanding that Assad step down:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/08/18/obama-assad_n_930229.html

After months of stepping gingerly around calls that he firmly renounce the rule of Syrian President Bashar Assad, President Obama today joined other world leaders in demanding that Assad step down.
"The future of Syria must be determined by its people, but President Bashar al-Assad is standing in their way," Obama said in a statement this morning. "His calls for dialogue and reform have rung hollow while he is imprisoning, torturing and slaughtering his own people. We have consistently said that President Assad must lead a democratic transition or get out of the way. He has not led. For the sake of the Syrian people, the time has come for President Assad to step aside."

Bugsy McGurk

President
So you're for option #2. Good to know.

Just wait for them to pull another Boston bombing or 911 and treat it as a police matter. Sounds like a liberal.

If your messiah didn't have the strategic acumen of a flatworm, we could have armed the Kurdish forces when they were offering to fight ISIS for us, and saved many of the towns now under control. I don't know why he didn't, since he had no problem arming Mexican drug cartels with some pretty nice weapons for 1.99 each plus tax.

Barry broke this, and he doesn't have the intelligence to deal with it.
As you know, you dodged my questions and chose instead to lie about what I said. Let me know if you decide to stop dodging and provide answers.

And I am shocked that you seek to blame GWB's Iraq mess on Obama. Shocked, I tell ya.

;-)

Colorforms

Senator

After months of stepping gingerly around calls that he firmly renounce the rule of Syrian President Bashar Assad, President Obama today joined other world leaders in demanding that Assad step down.
"The future of Syria must be determined by its people, but President Bashar al-Assad is standing in their way," Obama said in a statement this morning. "His calls for dialogue and reform have rung hollow while he is imprisoning, torturing and slaughtering his own people. We have consistently said that President Assad must lead a democratic transition or get out of the way. He has not led. For the sake of the Syrian people, the time has come for President Assad to step aside."
And to think, when Bush was in office and calling out Assad, democrats were donning their headscarves and flying out there in droves to hail him as the great reformer. Seems that republicans were right after all...again.

Bugsy McGurk

President

Try to focus, if possible.

The issue is those who called for the US to aid those fighting the Assad regime, who now call for a bombing of those fighting the Assad regime.

Colorforms

Senator
As you know, you dodged my questions and chose instead to lie about what I said. Let me know if you decide to stop dodging and provide answers.

And I am shocked that you seek to blame GWB's Iraq mess on Obama. Shocked, I tell ya.

;-)
Of course I dodged your question. :)

I didn't blame GWB's mess on Obama. In fact, Obama said himself that he was pulling out of a stable and self reliant Iraq. Nope, this mess is entirely Obama's.

Bugsy McGurk

President
Of course I dodged your question. :)

I didn't blame GWB's mess on Obama. In fact, Obama said himself that he was pulling out of a stable and self reliant Iraq. Nope, this mess is entirely Obama's.
No need to repeat your dodging or blaming GWB's Iraq mess on Obama.