• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

Talking food

Wahbooz

Governor
I got my introduction to restaurants early in life. At the age of 15 I answered an ad in the paper for a dish washer at a small Italian restaurant. I worked weekends, in the beginning, and the owners liked my work, so I wound up cleaning the restaurant afternoons after school, and wound up doing other work as well. The one owner started me preparing mozzarella and provolone cheeses for pizzas, and then slicing pepperoni. Half my pay went to my parents to help at home.

From there I went to another restaurant, where I started learning cooking on the burger grill, and worked my way to the dinner grill. I can remember a chef at a restaurant in an Oklahoma City hotel, where I thought I may expand my education in foods, tell me I should apply to culinary school in France. Right, how is a kid like me going to afford such an undertaking. And then the Navy came along, and my education was on hold.... sort of. Thanks to the Navy (no, not in the galley) I was able to get exposure to the cuisine of a number of countries, including the Philippines, Japan, Vietnam, as well as many restaurants on the West Coast.

When I came back, and was released, I went back to work at one of the restaurants I worked in, and worked my way up to head cook, and paid my way through college. I guess a love of food can grow. I began subscribing to Gourmet, Bon Appetit, Les Amis du Vin, and began reading everything I could about food. A career and demands outside of food curtailed much of that, until the past few years. Semi retired, I have begun rebuilding my kitchen with ingredients, and watching the programs on Create. I love watching Nick Stellino, Ming Tsai, and several others. And then I found Michael Smith, a chef from Prince Edward Island, and his philosophy of 'cooking without a recipe', just letting the ingredients and your imagination take you where they want you to go. It's not only healthy, its fun.

So, what do you like about cooking and food?

Jen

Senator
I grew up in San Antonio. My friends' parents as well as my mom taught me to cook. Everything I cook - unless I use a specific recipe - has Mexican flavor. That means I use spices like cumin and cilantro and I add salsa to many of the dishes I cook. And of course, garlic and onions are the underwear of any good dish - a must.

Later, I became a Navy wife and lived in Hawaii, California, Connecticut, Italy, Puerto Rico, and Washington State. Lots of great food in those places and I have recipes from all of them.

I like to watch the Cooking Channel but don't watch any particular show there. I was recently flipping the channels and stopped and a sauce the Barefoot Contessa caught my eye. I went online to get it and have made it numerous times. It always gets raves.

Here it is:
Fruit Salad with Limoncello Sauce
Ingredients

7 ounces Greek yogurt (recommended: Fage Total)
1/3 cup good bottled lemon curd
1 tablespoon honey
1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2 cups sliced strawberries (1 pint)
1 cup raspberries (1/2 pint)
1 cup blueberries (1/2 pint)
2 tablespoons sugar
3 tablespoons limoncello liqueur
1 banana, sliced
Fresh mint springs

Directions

*For the lemon yogurt topping, whisk together the yogurt, lemon curd, honey, and vanilla and set aside at room temperature.

*For the fruit salad, carefully toss together the strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, sugar, and limoncello. Allow them to stand at room temperature for about 5 minutes to let the berries macerate with the sugar and liqueur. Gently fold the banana into the mixture.

Serve bowls of fruit with a dollop of lemon yogurt on top. Top each with a sprig of fresh mint.

Read more at: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/fruit-salad-with-limoncello-recipe.html?oc=linkback

Wahbooz

Governor
I grew up in San Antonio. My friends' parents as well as my mom taught me to cook. Everything I cook - unless I use a specific recipe - has Mexican flavor. That means I use spices like cumin and cilantro and I add salsa to many of the dishes I cook. And of course, garlic and onions are the underwear of any good dish - a must.

Later, I became a Navy wife and lived in Hawaii, California, Connecticut, Italy, Puerto Rico, and Washington State. Lots of great food in those places and I have recipes from all of them.

I like to watch the Cooking Channel but don't watch any particular show there. I was recently flipping the channels and stopped and a sauce the Barefoot Contessa caught my eye. I went online to get it and have made it numerous times. It always gets raves.

Here it is:
Fruit Salad with Limoncello Sauce
Ingredients

7 ounces Greek yogurt (recommended: Fage Total)
1/3 cup good bottled lemon curd
1 tablespoon honey
1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2 cups sliced strawberries (1 pint)
1 cup raspberries (1/2 pint)
1 cup blueberries (1/2 pint)
2 tablespoons sugar
3 tablespoons limoncello liqueur
1 banana, sliced
Fresh mint springs

Directions

*For the lemon yogurt topping, whisk together the yogurt, lemon curd, honey, and vanilla and set aside at room temperature.

*For the fruit salad, carefully toss together the strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, sugar, and limoncello. Allow them to stand at room temperature for about 5 minutes to let the berries macerate with the sugar and liqueur. Gently fold the banana into the mixture.

Serve bowls of fruit with a dollop of lemon yogurt on top. Top each with a sprig of fresh mint.

Read more at: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/fruit-salad-with-limoncello-recipe.html?oc=linkback
I like that, and I am going to keep that.

When I was in Oklahoma, I worked at a place called El Charrito for awhile. What a meal they put on for the employees. I'll have to admit most of the employees ran whenever immigration came in, but you never saw a group pf harder workers.

Yes, I got my influence for Mexican flavor from many places. When I was transferred to an LST, I made friends with a few Mexicans in the crew. When we pulled into Okinawa, on our way back to Vietnam, they actually took me to a Mexican restaurant.

Jen

Senator
I like that, and I am going to keep that.

When I was in Oklahoma, I worked at a place called El Charrito for awhile. What a meal they put on for the employees. I'll have to admit most of the employees ran whenever immigration came in, but you never saw a group pf harder workers.

Yes, I got my influence for Mexican flavor from many places. When I was transferred to an LST, I made friends with a few Mexicans in the crew. When we pulled into Okinawa, on our way back to Vietnam, they actually took me to a Mexican restaurant.
When I lived in San Antonio, one of my favorite restaurants was "Marios" - right along I 35 near downtown (but on the opposite side of I35 from downtown). Mario, the owner, was a bit of an outlaw in San Antonio...... he was in and out of jail........and frequently on the 10 o'clock news I would see the authorities searching in the cabinets and closets of that restaurant for illegals. But the food was excellent. I thought it was better than the more famous Mexican restaurant in San Antonio - La Buena Tierra.

My favorites, though, were The Campus - a tiny hole in the wall on St Mary's University that was run by an older lady and her son. And the Donut Shop (which is still there) on Fredricksburg Road...... best carne guisada breakfast tacos you'd ever want and the lady stands right there and makes the tortillas as you watch. I can smell the difference between real homemade tortillas and fake ones even if they look the same.

Wahbooz

Governor
Linguine with white clam sauce.

1 lb of freshly cooked linguine
2 cups dry white wine
1 bay leaf (preferably not dried)
3 cloves of garlic, thinly sliced
1/4 tsp finely ground sea salt
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
3 1/2 lbs fresh clams
1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
extra virgin olive oil (if desired)

Cook the pasta in boiling salted water until nearly al dente, about 4 minutes. Reserve some of the pasta water, about 1 cup, and drain the pasta. Here is where I add to the recipe. Saute chopped onions and a peeled and diced zucchini (unless you prefer to have the green skin to show in a white sauce) until translucent, and add the white wine and simmer over medium heat. Add bay leaf, garlic, salt and pepper. Add the clams and cover, cooking for about 4 minutes, the clams should be open by then. Discard any that do not open. Add the pasta and parsley, and toss. If too dry add some of the retained pasta water.

If you want a more creamy sauce, you can also add heavy cream.

Last edited:

Wahbooz

Governor
From the master, Ming Tsai, it's Thai Mussels. See how easy and quick it is to prepare this meal, as he walks you through it at the Blue Ginger.

Wahbooz

Governor
Mint and Cumin spiced Lamb Pops (Chops) for those who like heat.

2 Medium onions, peeled and quartered
1 cup cilantro leaves (use the stems as well if they are tender)
1 cup flat leaf Parsley (the same with the stems)
1 cup Mint leaves
1 tbsp ground Cumin
1 tbsp Paprika
2 tsp Allspice
1 tsp crushed Red Pepper flakes
1 tsp Garam Masala
Kosher or Seasalt to taste
24 lamb rib chops about 5 lbs.
Vegetable oil for grill grates

Pulse the onions until roughly chopped. Add Cilantro, Parsley, and Mint, and pulse briefly. Add Cumin, Paprika, Allspice, Red Pepper flakes, and Garam Masala, and process until mixture is is finely chopped. Season with salt, and reserve 1/3 of mixture. The 2/3's will marinate the chops.

In a large dish, place the chops, and pour the marinade over them. cover and refrigerate from 2 to 12 hours. Remove the chops, rinse them, and pat them dry. Discard the marinade. Grill chops to desired doneness, Medium Rare will take about 3 minutes per side. Let rest 5 to 10 minutes before serving, with the 1/3 retained marinade.

Wahbooz

Governor
Ginger-sesame chicken thighs.

3 Green Onions, chopped fine (about 1/2 cup)
3 tbsp brown sugar
3 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp sesame oil
1 clove garlic minced
2 tsp roasted sesame seeds
1 tsp grated ginger
1 tsp sambal oelek (or you can substitute sriracha sauce)
1 1/2 lbs chicken thighs

Combine the green onions, brown sugar, soy sauce, sesame oil, garlic, sesame seeds, ginger and sambal in a bowl or freezer bag. Use half to marinate the chicken thighs, rubbing the mixture into the thighs, and keep in refrigerator for up to 6 hours. I use the indirect technique of grilling, placing the charcoal on one side of the bbq, in order to have a cooler place to transfer the thighs if they cook too quickly. Oil the grates, of course, and place the thighs on the grill, 10 to 12 minutes per side should be suffice. Placing the probe of an instant read thermometer in the thickest part of the thigh, without touching the bone. They should be 165 degrees when done. Use some of the remaining mixture to glaze the thighs and allow to cook another 5 minutes. You can serve the remainder of the mixture as a dipping sauce.

(I think they got bored already)

Fast Eddy

Mayor
When I lived in San Antonio, one of my favorite restaurants was "Marios" - right along I 35 near downtown (but on the opposite side of I35 from downtown). Mario, the owner, was a bit of an outlaw in San Antonio...... he was in and out of jail........and frequently on the 10 o'clock news I would see the authorities searching in the cabinets and closets of that restaurant for illegals. But the food was excellent. I thought it was better than the more famous Mexican restaurant in San Antonio - La Buena Tierra.

My favorites, though, were The Campus - a tiny hole in the wall on St Mary's University that was run by an older lady and her son. And the Donut Shop (which is still there) on Fredricksburg Road...... best carne guisada breakfast tacos you'd ever want and the lady stands right there and makes the tortillas as you watch. I can smell the difference between real homemade tortillas and fake ones even if they look the same.
I lived in Austin for years and used to go to San Antonio for the festivals. The street vendors used to sell Sausage wrapped by a tortilla shell and they were just great. I have tried to recreate the taste and just can't do it. Do you know what sausage they use in these?

Don's sub shop off Santa Clara Campus had great Cheese Steak Sandwiches. Are you a Gael?

Wahbooz

Governor
Anyone like Irish food? I didn't think of him, when I first started talking about food, but now he's back on television. Out of sight out of mind I guess.

His name is Kevin Dundon, chef and owner of Dunbrody Country House Hotel in County Wexford, Ireland. If you don't have access to his show, he is on Youtube. And many of his meals are perfect for people with limited time due to obligations. Give him a try.

From something simple

To something from the sea

To the turf

Bernard_Fokke

Captain Fokke
Supporting Member
I dabble and experiment,came up with this one here's one that's great for winter comfort food.

This recipe is good with Salmon, and outstanding with halibut or ling….Start off with 3 x 3x 1 in fillet pieces {thinner stuff may not work as well}.. a bit of olive oil in a large skillet and 2 to 3 cloves of garlic well smashed (garlic is to your taste, more or less is ok) heat oil and get garlic in for flavor. Use medium heat!

Place the fish in the skillet and pour in some champagne, brut is good too or white wine to almost cover ¾ of the fish, add a bit of finely chopped dill and a little salt and poach for a bit. (Here is where you may want to add other spices but not a lot so as to overpower the dish)

This poaching is for flavor, not to completely cook the fish when the fish is ¼ to 1/3 poached (this means you can still see raw edges) remove it from the skillet and gently coat with a mixture of sourdough breadcrumbs parmesan cheese and place in a baking dish.

If you overcook the fish it’s real hard to handle and coat. (This is sometimes where the cook's dinner plans can change) Anyway sprinkle a little more parmesan cheese and drizzle some sweet butter on each piece and toss into the oven at about 300.

Pour yourself a glass of the remaining champagne and toss a handful of the breadcrumbs and cheese into the skillet in the remaining poaching liquid and render this down to a thick sauce to put over the fish, taste as you go and adjust for salt. You may not need much…the fish should be done about the time the tips of the bread crumbs are getting brown, don’t over cook as it dries out quick…err on the side of a little underdone to be safe.(If it was beef shoot for medium rare)

Green salad, and presto! Dinner is served. I have no idea what this is called but who cares.

Wahbooz

Governor
I dabble and experiment,came up with this one here's one that's great for winter comfort food.

This recipe is good with Salmon, and outstanding with halibut or ling….Start off with 3 x 3x 1 in fillet pieces {thinner stuff may not work as well}.. a bit of olive oil in a large skillet and 2 to 3 cloves of garlic well smashed (garlic is to your taste, more or less is ok) heat oil and get garlic in for flavor. Use medium heat!

Place the fish in the skillet and pour in some champagne, brut is good too or white wine to almost cover ¾ of the fish, add a bit of finely chopped dill and a little salt and poach for a bit. (Here is where you may want to add other spices but not a lot so as to overpower the dish)

This poaching is for flavor, not to completely cook the fish when the fish is ¼ to 1/3 poached (this means you can still see raw edges) remove it from the skillet and gently coat with a mixture of sourdough breadcrumbs parmesan cheese and place in a baking dish.

If you overcook the fish it’s real hard to handle and coat. (This is sometimes where the cook's dinner plans can change) Anyway sprinkle a little more parmesan cheese and drizzle some sweet butter on each piece and toss into the oven at about 300.

Pour yourself a glass of the remaining champagne and toss a handful of the breadcrumbs and cheese into the skillet in the remaining poaching liquid and render this down to a thick sauce to put over the fish, taste as you go and adjust for salt. You may not need much…the fish should be done about the time the tips of the bread crumbs are getting brown, don’t over cook as it dries out quick…err on the side of a little underdone to be safe.(If it was beef shoot for medium rare)

Green salad, and presto! Dinner is served. I have no idea what this is called but who cares.
Hey, Bernard. At first I was going to say it's poached Salmon in white wine sauce, but you went a different direction, and Poached, Breaded, Baked Salmon is a mouth full. If someone doesn't particularly like sourdough breadcrumbs, they can try Panko Bread Crumbs.

I like poached Salmon in a white wine sauce. Adding Capers, Tarragon, and even Peppercorns is good too. Dill definitely is a nice addition to Salmon.

Got a white wine suggestion?

Last edited:

Bernard_Fokke

Captain Fokke
Supporting Member
Hey, Bernard. At first I was going to say it's poached Salmon in white wine sauce, but you went a different direction, and Poached, Breaded, Baked Salmon is a mouth full. If someone doesn't particularly like sourdough breadcrumbs, they can try Panko Bread Crumbs.

I like poached Salmon in a white wine sauce. Adding Capers, Tarragon, and even Peppercorns is good too. Dill definitely is a nice addition to Salmon.

Got a white wine suggestion?
I also used italian flavor Progresso bread crumbs for a bit of a different flavor.

Bernard_Fokke

Captain Fokke
Supporting Member
I always keep my old bread and put it through a processor and turn it into bread crumbs. I've worked at producing the same or better flavor to the store bought.
The beauty of cooking is the ability to experiment and create a delight for the tastebuds

Bernard_Fokke

Captain Fokke
Supporting Member
Fish chowder.

Start off with a quarter pound of fine diced bacon browned in the stew pot.

Drain most of the grease off into a container, also drain off the bacon and set aside.
One 4" sweet onion diced into the pot and cooked medium heat till it gets soft (You might need to add a teaspoon or so of that bacon grease back in).

While it's doing its thing dice into small chunks, 3 fist size Yukon gold spuds, 3 stalks of celery finely diced and one carrot fine grated. When the onions are soft go ahead and dump all the veggies into the pot with the onions and cut the heat to low for a bit.

While you were doing all this stuff you also had chunked up a pound or two of boneless skinless fillets (1" or less) put it into a separate pot with about two cups of water, add a little salt but not too much and spice it up a little, I use Greek seasoning and pinch of Emril's dry rub for chicken.

Turn up the heat and as soon as it starts to boil remove it. Strain the juice (Aka Fish stock) into the big pot with the spuds and turn up the heat; you might need to add a little water here as you want to just barely cover the spuds.

Also add a table spoon of butter and a healthy pinch of saffron

This is where I also start tasting for seasoning, it shouldn't need salt but you might like to add a little something else to your taste.
I set the fish aside in the fridge, cover the pot and set the heat to medium to just above simmer.

This isn't a race, it's is a labor of love so low and slow will taste better.

After a half hour or so the spuds ought to be done, add the fish and a cup or so of heavy whipping cream or half and half. Stir the fish in gently as it will fragment easily. Let it simmer another 15 minutes or so so it all blends and dive in. The saffron will turn it a buttery golden yellow and the taste is out of this world.

Now here is the surprise, the fish I used today was a 50/50 mix of sole and hake I caught out there while fishing halibut this year.

I'm pleasantly surprised at the taste and texture of the hake in this chowder.
So next time you bring one up rather than cussing it, gut it quick and toss it into the ice chest and use it for fish chowder.

This basic recipe can be used with all kinds of white fleshed fish, the halibut and sole/flounder are especially good as they lend themselves to this sort of cooking.

Wahbooz

Governor
Fish chowder.

Start off with a quarter pound of fine diced bacon browned in the stew pot.

Drain most of the grease off into a container, also drain off the bacon and set aside.
One 4" sweet onion diced into the pot and cooked medium heat till it gets soft (You might need to add a teaspoon or so of that bacon grease back in).

While it's doing its thing dice into small chunks, 3 fist size Yukon gold spuds, 3 stalks of celery finely diced and one carrot fine grated. When the onions are soft go ahead and dump all the veggies into the pot with the onions and cut the heat to low for a bit.

While you were doing all this stuff you also had chunked up a pound or two of boneless skinless fillets (1" or less) put it into a separate pot with about two cups of water, add a little salt but not too much and spice it up a little, I use Greek seasoning and pinch of Emril's dry rub for chicken.

Turn up the heat and as soon as it starts to boil remove it. Strain the juice (Aka Fish stock) into the big pot with the spuds and turn up the heat; you might need to add a little water here as you want to just barely cover the spuds.

Also add a table spoon of butter and a healthy pinch of saffron

This is where I also start tasting for seasoning, it shouldn't need salt but you might like to add a little something else to your taste.
I set the fish aside in the fridge, cover the pot and set the heat to medium to just above simmer.

This isn't a race, it's is a labor of love so low and slow will taste better.

After a half hour or so the spuds ought to be done, add the fish and a cup or so of heavy whipping cream or half and half. Stir the fish in gently as it will fragment easily. Let it simmer another 15 minutes or so so it all blends and dive in. The saffron will turn it a buttery golden yellow and the taste is out of this world.

Now here is the surprise, the fish I used today was a 50/50 mix of sole and hake I caught out there while fishing halibut this year.

I'm pleasantly surprised at the taste and texture of the hake in this chowder.
So next time you bring one up rather than cussing it, gut it quick and toss it into the ice chest and use it for fish chowder.

This basic recipe can be used with all kinds of white fleshed fish, the halibut and sole/flounder are especially good as they lend themselves to this sort of cooking.
Hot damn, two of my favorite words..... Emeril and Saffron. And I love the care you put into it. Way to go.

Last edited:

Wahbooz

Governor
The beauty of cooking is the ability to experiment and create a delight for the tastebuds
Totally agree. Like chef Michael Smith says, Cook without a recipe. Just let the ingredients carry you where they want to go. But one thing he does do, is keep a journal, where he writes down what works well together.

Last edited:

Craig

Senator
Supporting Member
Totally agree. Like chef Michael Smith says, Cook without a recipe. Just let the ingredients carry you where they want to go. But one thing he does do, is keep a journal, where he writes down what works well together.
Once one is familiar with flavor profiles, it becomes easier. One of the classic combos is sweet/salty. Often used in candy, it also appears in great tastes like melon and prosciutto. Honeydew and bacon isn't very different from cantaloupe and prosciutto...

I was not raised in an exciting food world. Dad was a meat and potatoes man and hated chicken...a leftover remnant of his depression upbringing. He wouldn't allow it on the dinner table. He did travel a bit, so that's when we "experimented" with dangerous foods like spaghetti and of course, the forbidden chicken. Rice never sat on our table in my childhood.

I did not have Chinese until the night of high school graduation. That was very important and set me down a more open food path. I'm still no foodie, but have become far more expansive in my diet. I'm grateful to the women who took me on culinary adventures and I'm grateful to have lived in San Francisco for a decade...as the City features a plethora of foods from around the world. Thai, Viet, Mex, French, Spanish, Salvadoran, ALL the Chinese provinces and that encouraged a broader outlook.

One of my favorite dishes is Lamb Tagine with chick peas and dried apricots. Ras-el-hanout is the key.

INGREDIENTS

3/4 cup dried chickpeas
5 garlic cloves (2 whole, 3 chopped)
1 large cinnamon stick, broken in half
2 tablespoons olive oil
3 pounds 1" cubes lamb shoulder
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 large onion, diced
5 teaspoons Ras-el-Hanout spice blend
1 tablespoon chopped peeled ginger
1 cup canned diced tomatoes with juices
2 1/2 cups (or more) low-salt chicken stock
1/2 cup halved dried apricots
Steamed couscous
Chopped fresh cilantro

PREPARATION

Place chickpeas in a medium saucepan. Add water to cover by 2". Let soak overnight.
Drain chickpeas; return to same saucepan. Add 2 whole garlic cloves and cinnamon stick. Add water to cover by 2". Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium and simmer until chickpeas are tender, about 45 minutes. Drain; set aside.
Meanwhile, heat oil in a large heavy pot over medium-high heat. Season lamb with salt and pepper. Working in batches, brown lamb on all sides, about 4 minutes per batch. Transfer lamb to a medium bowl. Add onion to pot; reduce heat to medium, season with salt and pepper, and sauté until soft and beginning to turn golden, about 5 minutes. Add chopped garlic, Ras-el-Hanout , and ginger. Stir for 1 minute. Add tomatoes and lamb with any accumulated juices. Bring to a boil. Add 2 1/2 cups stock. Return to a boil, reduce heat to low, partially cover, and simmer, stirring occasionally, until lamb is tender, about 1 hour 30 minutes.
Stir in chickpeas; simmer until heated through, about 10 minutes. Stir in apricots; simmer until heated through, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
Spoon couscous onto a large, shallow platter, forming a large well in center. Spoon tagine into center. Sprinkle cilantro over.

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/lamb-tagine-with-chickpeas-and-apricots-367761