• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

Talking food

EatTheRich

President
Ok. Let's start.
Mushrooms. All types. ALL are good raw. Some are better sautéed. Needed to add a 'deepening' or "umami' flavoring to many dishes. Can NEVER have enough layers to dishes.
Onions. Different onions add different spice or sweet. Green, leek, shallot, yellow, brown, red. All can add "high" or "low" flavors.
Garlic. Almost a must for most dishes. Sliced, minced, crushed. Fresh vs jarred. White, Yellow or Black.
Chile Peppers. I'm going to have to get back to you. The combinations are astronomical!
Heat or sweet. I can dish them all out.
Hot mama's or make your tongue dance for more.
You’re right about garlic.

I thought a lot of mushrooms, and I mean edible mushrooms, were unsafe to eat raw?

Bronwyn

Unapoligetically Republican
You’re right about garlic.

I thought a lot of mushrooms, and I mean edible mushrooms, were unsafe to eat raw?
Edible mushrooms are by far tastier. Identified washed mushrooms are awesome and quite different in taste. Common white button mushrooms are bland compared to baby Portabellas, Cremini, Shitake, or even Oyster mushrooms. When you start getting into some of the more exotics like Truffles, or Morels, the expense prohibits them from being on a veggie plate, but the flavor is out of this world as a compliment to many dishes. I personally use many mushroom infused oil blends, expensive but worth it in the right preparation or Entre. Just make sure you wash any mushroom you eat as the growing medium tends to stick. Remember they are a type of fungi, and never ever pick one! Rely on the growers or experts!

voyager

4Q2247365

condorkristy

Mostly Liberal
How about some 'easy on the pocketbook' recipes as well, for people with starving ravenous teenagers.
Not sure if this is apropos in terms of cuisine and all but here goes nothing.

Tortilla Soup; quick easy and cheap.

1 Can of White Meat Chicken Breast (Swanson); about 10 ounce can or so. DRAINED
1 Can of Bush's Black Beans 15 ounce
1 Can of Original Rotel 12-15 ounce. Use hot if you prefer
1 Can of Del Monte corn. Drained.
1 carton of Swanson reduced sodium chicken broth (30 ounce size or so)
Optional:
1 can of sliced carrots (15 ounces) DRAINED.

1/2 Teaspoon Black pepper
1/2 Teaspoon White Salt
1/2 Teaspoon of Season All if desired
1 Tablespoon of minced garlic

Tostitos Hint of Lime Tortilla Chips.

Directions:
Dump the chicken into a 2-4 Quart sauce pan. Copper Chef is the brand I use. Add pepper, salt, season-all, and garlic. Stir vigorously to break apart the chicken that will be in chuncks. Cook until the chicken is just about to start getting brown over medium heat

Add Rotel. Continue to stir for about 3 minutes.

Add Beans and Broth. Stir.

Heat just to boiling.

Add corn and carrots. Careful not to splash.

Simmer for about 5-10 minutes. Serve with tortilla chips or fresh limes; or both.

The chicken, beans, rotel, corn, broth, and carrots will cost you about 7-8 bucks or so. The tortilla chips will cost about $3. Ten bucks can feed 3 people dinner and you should have some left over for lunch the next day.

I work a rotating shift (4 on 4 off) and I make this the day before I start my rotation. I usually get 5 servings out of it.

Wahbooz

Governor
Not sure if this is apropos in terms of cuisine and all but here goes nothing.

Tortilla Soup; quick easy and cheap.

1 Can of White Meat Chicken Breast (Swanson); about 10 ounce can or so. DRAINED
1 Can of Bush's Black Beans 15 ounce
1 Can of Original Rotel 12-15 ounce. Use hot if you prefer
1 Can of Del Monte corn. Drained.
1 carton of Swanson reduced sodium chicken broth (30 ounce size or so)
Optional:
1 can of sliced carrots (15 ounces) DRAINED.

1/2 Teaspoon Black pepper
1/2 Teaspoon White Salt
1/2 Teaspoon of Season All if desired
1 Tablespoon of minced garlic

Tostitos Hint of Lime Tortilla Chips.

Directions:
Dump the chicken into a 2-4 Quart sauce pan. Copper Chef is the brand I use. Add pepper, salt, season-all, and garlic. Stir vigorously to break apart the chicken that will be in chuncks. Cook until the chicken is just about to start getting brown over medium heat

Add Rotel. Continue to stir for about 3 minutes.

Add Beans and Broth. Stir.

Heat just to boiling.

Add corn and carrots. Careful not to splash.

Simmer for about 5-10 minutes. Serve with tortilla chips or fresh limes; or both.

The chicken, beans, rotel, corn, broth, and carrots will cost you about 7-8 bucks or so. The tortilla chips will cost about $3. Ten bucks can feed 3 people dinner and you should have some left over for lunch the next day.

I work a rotating shift (4 on 4 off) and I make this the day before I start my rotation. I usually get 5 servings out of it.
Hey, I like tortilla soup.

JackDallas

Senator
Supporting Member
I got my introduction to restaurants early in life. At the age of 15 I answered an ad in the paper for a dish washer at a small Italian restaurant. I worked weekends, in the beginning, and the owners liked my work, so I wound up cleaning the restaurant afternoons after school, and wound up doing other work as well. The one owner started me preparing mozzarella and provolone cheeses for pizzas, and then slicing pepperoni. Half my pay went to my parents to help at home.

From there I went to another restaurant, where I started learning cooking on the burger grill, and worked my way to the dinner grill. I can remember a chef at a restaurant in an Oklahoma City hotel, where I thought I may expand my education in foods, tell me I should apply to culinary school in France. Right, how is a kid like me going to afford such an undertaking. And then the Navy came along, and my education was on hold.... sort of. Thanks to the Navy (no, not in the galley) I was able to get exposure to the cuisine of a number of countries, including the Philippines, Japan, Vietnam, as well as many restaurants on the West Coast.

When I came back, and was released, I went back to work at one of the restaurants I worked in, and worked my way up to head cook, and paid my way through college. I guess a love of food can grow. I began subscribing to Gourmet, Bon Appetit, Les Amis du Vin, and began reading everything I could about food. A career and demands outside of food curtailed much of that, until the past few years. Semi retired, I have begun rebuilding my kitchen with ingredients, and watching the programs on Create. I love watching Nick Stellino, Ming Tsai, and several others. And then I found Michael Smith, a chef from Prince Edward Island, and his philosophy of 'cooking without a recipe', just letting the ingredients and your imagination take you where they want you to go. It's not only healthy, its fun.

So, what do you like about cooking and food?
I like eating it; cooking, not so much.

condorkristy

Mostly Liberal
Actually I like to add spice to the can of Rotel, and if I added cheese it would be Pepperjack.
Lately, we have had shortages of canned corn (and everything else) so I did something I hated doing; buying store brands. This particular item was generic corn with Mexican chilies and chipolte peppers. That cleared up the old sinuses in a hurry let me tell you.

Wahbooz

Governor
Lately, we have had shortages of canned corn (and everything else) so I did something I hated doing; buying store brands. This particular item was generic corn with Mexican chilies and chipolte peppers. That cleared up the old sinuses in a hurry let me tell you.
The shelves here are just finally getting some stock, but places like Walmart, etc., have signs on shelves that says one item per customer! You can get laid if you have extra tp.

I usually go to a Mexican grocery store for things like that, and it definitely will cleat your siinuses better than allergy pills.

FakeName

Governor
I got my introduction to restaurants early in life. At the age of 15 I answered an ad in the paper for a dish washer at a small Italian restaurant. I worked weekends, in the beginning, and the owners liked my work, so I wound up cleaning the restaurant afternoons after school, and wound up doing other work as well. The one owner started me preparing mozzarella and provolone cheeses for pizzas, and then slicing pepperoni. Half my pay went to my parents to help at home.

From there I went to another restaurant, where I started learning cooking on the burger grill, and worked my way to the dinner grill. I can remember a chef at a restaurant in an Oklahoma City hotel, where I thought I may expand my education in foods, tell me I should apply to culinary school in France. Right, how is a kid like me going to afford such an undertaking. And then the Navy came along, and my education was on hold.... sort of. Thanks to the Navy (no, not in the galley) I was able to get exposure to the cuisine of a number of countries, including the Philippines, Japan, Vietnam, as well as many restaurants on the West Coast.

When I came back, and was released, I went back to work at one of the restaurants I worked in, and worked my way up to head cook, and paid my way through college. I guess a love of food can grow. I began subscribing to Gourmet, Bon Appetit, Les Amis du Vin, and began reading everything I could about food. A career and demands outside of food curtailed much of that, until the past few years. Semi retired, I have begun rebuilding my kitchen with ingredients, and watching the programs on Create. I love watching Nick Stellino, Ming Tsai, and several others. And then I found Michael Smith, a chef from Prince Edward Island, and his philosophy of 'cooking without a recipe', just letting the ingredients and your imagination take you where they want you to go. It's not only healthy, its fun.

So, what do you like about cooking and food?
I don't have anything like your level of experience but I worked my way through college at an large upscale Mexican restaurant. Started as a dishwasher, by the time I graduated college I was the lead cook on all the busiest nights.

Those were fun times, being a student, having a few beers with the other cooks and bartenders and waitresses after work.

I went on to make way more money than I did in those days, but those were fun times.

Wahbooz

Governor
I don't have anything like your level of experience but I worked my way through college at an large upscale Mexican restaurant. Started as a dishwasher, by the time I graduated college I was the lead cook on all the busiest nights.

Those were fun times, being a student, having a few beers with the other cooks and bartenders and waitresses after work.

I went on to make way more money than I did in those days, but those were fun times.
When I was in Oklahoma City I worked at El Charito for a bit. Talk about one heck of a breakfast, we all ate every morning before the restaurant opened.

I love to cook and explore various cuisines. Another one of my favorites is Pati Jinich, but sometimes her voice gets so high pitched it grates on my nerves.

Wahbooz

Governor
When I was in Oklahoma City I worked at El Charito for a bit. Talk about one heck of a breakfast, we all ate every morning before the restaurant opened.

I love to cook and explore various cuisines. Another one of my favorites is Pati Jinich, but sometimes her voice gets so high pitched it grates on my nerves.
Another one is Luke Nguyen. He's opened a high class restaurant in Saigon at Vietnam House.