• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

Tax Question

connieb

Senator
You don't have that option as a United States citizen, and you likely never will.
Maybe not. But, I certainly don't have to act like its manna from heaven when there is an opportunity to not have to pay the thieving bastards one more red cent. And, it certainly isn't welfare that I have to pay them less, especially considering the absolutely exorbitant amount they already get. They certainly don't deserve the vast majority of it.

Wow working 40 hours and taking 18 credits...she must be a genius.
She is not a genuis and by no means a dummy she only takes 12 hrs spring and fall and will take what they call minimesters during christmasand between spring semester and summer or some summer courses.
What she does have is a goal and the motivation to achieve it something a lot of folks lack myself included at that age

Renee

Governor
She is not a genuis and by no means a dummy she only takes 12 hrs spring and fall and will take what they call minimesters during christmasand between spring semester and summer or some summer courses.
What she does have is a goal and the motivation to achieve it something a lot of folks lack myself included at that age
Good for her.....i dont know how she does it. Is this a state university? I never heard of mini semesters for a week or so that will give you credits. They didn't offer those back in my day. I took 18 credits a semester and I had to be there for 18 hours. I don't think I could have worked 40 hours though I did work part time

Good for her.....i dont know how she does it. Is this a state university? I never heard of mini semesters for a week or so that will give you credits. They didn't offer those back in my day. I took 18 credits a semester and I had to be there for 18 hours. I don't think I could have worked 40 hours though I did work part time
Her work is flexible and she can juggle her work schedule over 7 days a week between 7 am and 8 pm currently she has 3 classes on tue, Thursday and is done by two thirty those days she takes another online class and only has to report in person for exams I had never heard of minimester before either. It is a state university

Last edited:

connieb

Senator
Good for her. She will be the better for it because when college is over, she will have several years of work experience to put her ahead of other candidates.
I did a similiar path as your daughter, but I ran into the problem in the last year and a half that I ran out of options for the summer and minimester as things that would count towards my degree. I could have padded them for the overall number of credits, but as I got to the upper level courses - there were few options of when you could take them. Which put me behind in graduating by a semester. Hopefully if she is at a bigger school she won't run into that.

connie

Good for her. She will be the better for it because when college is over, she will have several years of work experience to put her ahead of other candidates.
I did a similiar path as your daughter, but I ran into the problem in the last year and a half that I ran out of options for the summer and minimester as things that would count towards my degree. I could have padded them for the overall number of credits, but as I got to the upper level courses - there were few options of when you could take them. Which put me behind in graduating by a semester. Hopefully if she is at a bigger school she won't run into that.

connie
She is at a large school close to a 700 acre campus and much more than 20k students. But looking at her degree plan it will take her an extra semester to get all the required courses for her degree.
Getting back to taxes we sat down and figured taxes both ways with her as my dependent and her filing on her own and we came out overall about
600 better with her filing seperately . Her return will pay about 3/4 of her tuition next fall so no loan should be required next semester and my dad and I are planning to pay her last semester she should be able to graduate with only about 6 or 7 k debt

Last edited:

connieb

Senator
She is at a large school close to a 700 acre campus and much more than 20k students. But looking at her degree plan it will take her an extra semester to get all the required courses for her degree.
Getting back to taxes we sat down and figured taxes both ways with her as my dependent and her filing on her own and we came out overall about
600 better with her filing seperately . Her return will pay about 3/4 of her tuition next fall so no loan should be required next semester and my dad and I are planning to pay her last semester she should be able to graduate with only about 6 or 7 k debt
That is great for her. I think many people are very mislead about how possible it is for a person to actually pay their way through school. Sure, I guess you don't have 4 years to just kick up your heals, party and enjoy yourself, but it is certainly possible for most people to at least get to the point where they leave school with minimal debt. I just think like so many other things, we have allowed our kids to think they are entitled to college and not only are they entitled to go - they are also entitled to basically spend 4 years having fun and enjoying themselves.

connie

That is great for her. I think many people are very mislead about how possible it is for a person to actually pay their way through school. Sure, I guess you don't have 4 years to just kick up your heals, party and enjoy yourself, but it is certainly possible for most people to at least get to the point where they leave school with minimal debt. I just think like so many other things, we have allowed our kids to think they are entitled to college and not only are they entitled to go - they are also entitled to basically spend 4 years having fun and enjoying themselves.
Tuition is about 4500 a semester we have helped some she could live at home and pay it easily but you know parents and their rules just make life unbearable so she has elected to live elsewhere. It's only a mile from home so mom is dealing with it we still see a lot of her.
connie

NightSwimmer

Senator
That is great for her. I think many people are very mislead about how possible it is for a person to actually pay their way through school.

In order to attend a private university without government financial assistance, a person would need to net about $40,000.00 per year to cover their books, tuition, housing and travel expenses.

You're an accountant, aren't you? How much would a student working part-time need to gross in order to net that amount?

connieb

Senator
In order to attend a private university without government financial assistance, a person would need to net about $40,000.00 per year to cover their books, tuition, housing and travel expenses.

You're an accountant, aren't you? How much would a student working part-time need to gross in order to net that amount?
A private university may not be in the cards for everyone. So what? Additionally, you may have to work full time and fit school in around your work schedule. It is possible to work full time - and go to school full time but it likely will extend your educational time by a semester or two as it did for me and for Lupe's daughter. And, you may still need to take out some loans but minimizing it may be the best approach for some people.

But, I do not think that people really consider that they can at least work enough to pay for their living expenses or even better yet, live at home and commute -at least during the first two years, and pay out of pocket for a large amount of the tuition. But, yes that will of course restrict where you go. Life is full of choices but I don't agree with College being presented as an entitlement or something that requires a kid to live on campus or go away from home, etc.

NightSwimmer

Senator
A private university may not be in the cards for everyone. So what? Additionally, you may have to work full time and fit school in around your work schedule. It is possible to work full time - and go to school full time but it likely will extend your educational time by a semester or two as it did for me and for Lupe's daughter. And, you may still need to take out some loans but minimizing it may be the best approach for some people.

But, I do not think that people really consider that they can at least work enough to pay for their living expenses or even better yet, live at home and commute -at least during the first two years, and pay out of pocket for a large amount of the tuition. But, yes that will of course restrict where you go. Life is full of choices but I don't agree with College being presented as an entitlement or something that requires a kid to live on campus or go away from home, etc.

So then, you don't know how much they'd need to gross?

NightSwimmer

Senator
What is the point?

I'm just trying to calculate the current annual income that would be required for paying one's way through college. Would it be reasonable to estimate something in the neighborhood of 60K? That's a lot of burger flipping.

Of course, as you said, one need not attend college, should one prefer other options. I am only considering those who would actually attempt to pay their own way through college without any government or parental assistance.

connieb

Senator
I'm just trying to calculate the current annual income that would be required for paying one's way through college. Would it be reasonable to estimate something in the neighborhood of 60K? That's a lot of burger flipping.

Of course, as you said, one need not attend college, should one prefer other options. I am only considering those who would actually attempt to pay their own way through college without any government or parental assistance.
Yes, I was just off the cuff guesing between 60 and 70K.

I do no think that you could do that working part time and going to a private school, certainly, unless you are doing something of questionable legality. I never said to avoid student loans all together either, only keep them at a minimum,and one o the ways you can do that is to work full time and go to school part time, if you are dilliegent about taking as many credits as you can - you can likely go full time to college as well. But, that will of course depend on course availability etc, and will as in Lupe's daughters case, and mine, result in an extra semester or two.

I don't know why you are stuck on this part time thing. But I guess that is part of what I was saying was wrong with the perspective. I don't think there is anything wrong with stringing out the length of time it takes to get an education by working full time while you do it. If you are devoted to getting through school they offer many flexible options these days including online, weekend, night and mini-mester courses to get it done. But, it certainly won't be the "college experience"

NightSwimmer

Senator
Yes, I was just off the cuff guesing between 60 and 70K.

I do no think that you could do that working part time and going to a private school, certainly, unless you are doing something of questionable legality. I never said to avoid student loans all together either, only keep them at a minimum,and one o the ways you can do that is to work full time and go to school part time, if you are dilliegent about taking as many credits as you can - you can likely go full time to college as well. But, that will of course depend on course availability etc, and will as in Lupe's daughters case, and mine, result in an extra semester or two.

I don't know why you are stuck on this part time thing. But I guess that is part of what I was saying was wrong with the perspective. I don't think there is anything wrong with stringing out the length of time it takes to get an education by working full time while you do it. If you are devoted to getting through school they offer many flexible options these days including online, weekend, night and mini-mester courses to get it done. But, it certainly won't be the "college experience"

I worked full time and went to school part-time myself. I'm glad that my own kids haven't had to attempt that. It was much more feasible back when I did it, and it was still a bitch. I did borrow some money from my parents at one time, but I paid them back with interest.

It is a fantasy to believe that a young person in today's America who didn't inherit wealth has a real opportunity to "pull themselves up from their bootstraps", so to speak. It's a warm, fuzzy fantasy, I'll admit. But it is a fantasy nonetheless.

connieb

Senator
I worked full time and went to school part-time myself. I'm glad that my own kids haven't had to attempt that. It was much more feasible back when I did it, and it was still a bitch. I did borrow some money from my parents at one time, but I paid them back with interest.

It is a fantasy to believe that a young person in today's America who didn't inherit wealth has a real opportunity to "pull themselves up from their bootstraps", so to speak. It's a warm, fuzzy fantasy, I'll admit. But it is a fantasy nonetheless.
I think that is the perpetuation of a myth, that that is a fantasy. It is a possibility - IF one is willing to put out the sacrifice. Yes it is a bitch. I did the same thing. But, I also think its good learning experience. Teaches you some real life skills, time management, focus, etc. All good things. Anything worth having is worth working for.

Why can't a kid do that? No other reason than we have coddled them and somehow convinced them and ourselves that they can't. Sure, you can't likely go to the school of your choice. Sure, you can't and then still go to spring break. Sure, you can't and still party on Friday and Saturday nights. Sure, you can't and still go to the home football games. But, so what? That doesn't mean its impossible, only uncomfortable... and maybe a little miserable. But, certainly possible.

I spent almost 10 years where I only had off school or work more than two or three full days in a row, starting in HS. And, most of that time, only a day here an there. No full senior week, no spring breaks. No family vacations. I took off three days to go to Senior week, three days to go to Mardi Gras for my 21st birthday and that was it for more than a day here and there - for almost 10 years. In addition to my full time job, I still took extra hours doing things like catering or nannying during school breaks. It sure as hell wasn't fun. But, it wasn't anything anyone else couldn't have done.

And, I am glad there are student loans available. And, I am not saying don't use them. I don't see that as handout. Anything you pay back - is not a hand out. But, use them wisely.

connie

Wahbooz

Governor
Good for her. It's hard enough being a student, without carrying a debt too.

It is tough we are not rich we help our daughter and she could pay for every semester is she elected to live at home