• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

Tea and Biscuits

Spamature

President
Not so much that they would devastate the economy if Apple for some strange reason decided to fire them all. Which is not what would happen anyway. Remember McDonald's hired 50000 employees, Verizon had 45,000 go out on strike and Delivery services hired 40000 during Christmas and let them go after the rush and none of those hirings and firings had a large impact on the economy as a whole.

MaryAnne

Governor
I know that GM had to lock the doors of their plants in Mexico because of workers just walking out.China would never have that problem.They would simply disappear.

I bought a Vizio TV because everyone told me it was made in California.When I contacted the company,"Assembled in China,packaged in The USA."

MaryAnne

Governor
Hasn't the President already put pressure on China? This will take fair trade,not free trade, a change in our tax laws that will not reward companies for outsourcing.

I really wish the President would go after the tax code in a big way. And they must make sure the trade agreements are both fair and followed.

Many companies are now moving back because it is becoming too expensive to ship and they realize they are better off here. That is due to the dollar against other currencies.

fairsheet

Senator
Hasn't the President already put pressure on China? This will take fair trade,not free trade, a change in our tax laws that will not reward companies for outsourcing.

I really wish the President would go after the tax code in a big way. And they must make sure the trade agreements are both fair and followed.

Many companies are now moving back because it is becoming too expensive to ship and they realize they are better off here. That is due to the dollar against other currencies.
MaryAnne...this president has - the last president, not so much so. But since you brought it up... -:). I think part of the last administration's inattention (to put it politely) was intentional. Part of it was ideological, and a lot of it was just pure incompetence.

Looking forward though - and I'm sure they'll all been tasked with this - I'm guessing that virtually EVERY department and/or governmental agency can play a role in first of all, making sure we're not doing thing that unecessarily help the Chinese and second...look for those ways in which they can make the Chinese's "tasks" a little more difficult.

I'm not so "liberal" that I can't say that the Chinese ARE different from us, in terms of their fundamental values. They're about pure bottomline - no more, no less. An interesting example of that came up just the other day, with news that the Chinese are at least willing to consider oil/trade sanctions against Iran. That may come as a surprise to some, because they assumed that China was somehow "friendly" with Iran or they had some sort of "shared values". Truth be told though...the only think the Chinese "cared" about in terms of Iran - was access to their oil. And since the Chinese get MOST of their oil from the Saudi Arabians and since the Saudi Arabians are down on the Iranians, the Chinese won't mind kicking the Iranians to the curb in a heartbeat.

Long story shorter, we should approach the Chinese on terms THEY understand.

P

PACE

Yes, very much the same as India supplying slave labor to the textile factories in Lancanshire England, until Ghandhi came along and told them to "meditate and make their own homespun"

Regards
Pace