• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

The Art of the Shutdown - Senate funding bill gets 45 GOP votes; Trump whines, blames Dems

Bugsy McGurk

President
What a dealmaker, eh?

In business, Trump spent decades intimidating people with bluster and threats as he ran his business scams, suing suppliers rather than paying them, and the like. His “skillset” has no use in DC government. He just can’t make a deal.

He proved that again with the spending bill craziness. He knew he needed 60 Senate votes for the bill and he couldn’t even get 50 GOP Senate votes. Only 45 GOP senators voted for it.

And how did he try to woo some Dem support as he grew so desperate that he actually tried to get bipartisan support for the bill? He summoned Chuck Schumer to the White House, they talked things over, Trump tweeted that they had a great meeting, Schumer couldn’t get Mitch McConnell to follow through, and it fell apart. Get that? Trump then needed to get McConnell to bend, so he asked Schumer to do it. Trump didn’t see it as part of his leadership role to convince McConnell. Must have been something good on TV.

And consider Team Trump’s juvenile attempt to bend Schumer along the way. The “strategy” was to have Trump’s assistant liar, Mick Mulvaney, label the then-possible shutdown as the “Schumer shutdown,” and the word was sent forth, with many Republicans repeating that alliterative idiocy.

Trump clearly thought that he could pressure Schumer into yielding with the “Schumer shutdown” jive, as nonsense like that was Trump’s M.O. in business. Of course, Schumer couldn’t give a damn - he faces no threat when running for reelection. Trump thought he could force a deal that way, but in DC his business world tactics are useless, and often counter-productive.

Bottom line - Trump can’t make a deal when true dealmaking finesse is required. Bludgeoning DC people just doesn’t work, nor does allowing his GOP colleagues in Congress to drift aimlessly asking Trump to tell them what he will sign. So, the Senate bill only gets 45 GOP votes, it fails, and Trump does what he always does - he refuses to take any responsibility, whines, inanely blames the Dems when there weren’t even 50 GOP votes, and tweets that the solution is more GOP victories in the 2018 midterms. Gross incompetence.

The Art of the Shutdown.

Last edited:

Dino

Russian Asset
What a dealmaker, eh?

In business, Trump spent decades intimidating people with bluster and threats as he ran his business scams, suing suppliers rather than paying them, and the like. His “skillset” has no use in DC government. He just can’t make a deal.

He proved that again with the spending bill craziness. He knew he needed 60 Senate votes for the bill and he couldn’t even get 50 GOP Senate votes. Only 45 GOP senators voted for it.

And how did he try to woo some Dem support as he grew so desperate that he actually tried to get bipartisan support for the bill? He summoned Chuck Schumer to the White House, they talked things over, Trump tweeted that they had a great meeting, Schumer couldn’t get Mitch McConnell to follow through, and it fell apart. Get that? Trump then needed to get McConnell to bend, so he asked Schumer to do it. Trump didn’t see it as part of his leadership role to convince McConnell. Must have been something good on TV.

And consider Team Trump’s juvenile attempt to bend Schumer along the way. The “strategy” was to have Trump’s assistant liar, Mick Mulvaney, label the then-possible shutdown as the “Schumer shutdown,” and the word was sent forth, with many Republicans repeating that alliterative idiocy.

Trump clearly thought that he could pressure Schumer into yielding with the “Schumer shutdown” jive, as nonsense like that was Trump’s M.O. in business. Of course, Schumer couldn’t give a damn - he faces no threat when running for reelection. Trump thought he could force a deal that way, but in DC his business world tactics are useless, and often counter-productive.

Bottom line - Trump can’t make a deal when true dealmaking finesse is required. Bludgeoning DC people just doesn’t work, nor does allowing his GOP colleagues in Congress to drift aimlessly asking Trump to tell them what he will sign. So, the Senate bill only gets 45 GOP votes, it fails, and Trump does what he always does - he refuses to take any responsibility, whines, inanely blames the Dems when there weren’t even 50 GOP votes, and tweets that the solution is more GOP victories in the 2018 midterms. Gross incompetence.

The Art of the Shutdown.
Wait wait... let me get this straight now... you think Trump expected Schumer to convince McConnell to sell out and gut his party for eternity by bending over and taking it from a million plus illegal aliens??

You think that's a legitimate negotiating tactic?

I've been on the record denouncing McConnell's leadership, but even he's not that naïve or idiotic to destroy the party's future.

Between Durbin, Schumer and Trump it's hard to tell which is the most delusional.

I welcome the Schumer shutdown and my only hope it lasts. The Democrats should stand for these illegals and let the American people recognize the reality of the situation, which surely hasn't hit them yet according to polling.

PhilFish

Administrator
Staff member
A tough one for sure. The govt is shut down due to an inability to deal. I'll blame both, but the optics seem to me to favor the gop...seeing as the Dems filibustered thus to an impasse, having elected to side with non citizen illegals.

Bugsy McGurk

President
Wait wait... let me get this straight now... you think Trump expected Schumer to convince McConnell to sell out and gut his party for eternity by bending over and taking it from a million plus illegal aliens??

You think that's a legitimate negotiating tactic?

I've been on the record denouncing McConnell's leadership, but even he's not that naïve or idiotic to destroy the party's future.

Between Durbin, Schumer and Trump it's hard to tell which is the most delusional.

I welcome the Schumer shutdown and my only hope it lasts. The Democrats should stand for these illegals and let the American people recognize the reality of the situation, which surely hasn't hit them yet according to polling.
Nope. I think what I wrote, which is that it was up to Trump to convince both McConnell and Schumer to put enough votes together to pass a bill. Instead, he sent Schumer to do it. Trump likely thought that a bill was a longshot, so he wanted to minimize his role. Either that or there was something good on TV.

For a good dealmaker, this was a layup. The Dems, Trump, and many, if not most, Republicans support the dreamer bill, and Trump just couldn’t get it done.

And what happened? Trump couldn’t even get 50 GOP Senate votes on the House bill. Yet he still just blames the Dems and takes no responsibility.

BTW, here’s my authority for the proposition that Trump bears responsibility for the shutdown ...

https://www.google.com/amp/thehill.com/homenews/administration/369756-trumps-comments-blaming-obama-for-2013-government-shutdown-resurface?amp

SW48

Administrator
Staff member
Supporting Member
We should dredge up some of Bugsy's gov shut down posts from a few years ago when he called the congressmen that shut down the government "traitors".

Bugsy McGurk

President
A tough one for sure. The govt is shut down due to an inability to deal. I'll blame both, but the optics seem to me to favor the gop...seeing as the Dems filibustered thus to an impasse, having elected to side with non citizen illegals.
The filibuster stuff is a canard. Again, the House bill didn’t even get 50 GOP votes. And the dreamer issue enjoys wide support in the polls in any event.

Will Trump and the GOP nevertheless continue to try blaming the Dems? Of course. But they will be trying to sell a lie, and sane, honest people don’t buy lies.

Dino

Russian Asset
CNN poll: DACA not worth a shutdown, except to Democrats
Also, Democrats get the most blame for the shutdown. So sorry!
There was a time, not too long ago, that Schumer showed reason and funded the government... that time at the "expense" of coal miners.
This time, illegal aliens take precedence over Americans of all shapes, sizes, and jobs.
THAT is deplorable.

http://dailysignal.com/2016/12/09/senate-democrats-retreat-allowing-spending-bill-to-averting-government-shutdown/

Senate Democrats, digging in their heels Friday over health benefits for retired coal miners, threatened to shut down the government over the weekend for lack of a short-term spending agreement by a midnight deadline.

“ We’re not going to shut down the government.”
—@SenSchumer

But Democrats gave in Friday evening, saying they would fight on in the new year but not be held responsible for shutting down the government.

“We’re not going to shut down the government. We’re going to keep it open,” Sen. Chuck Schumer, D-N.Y., the incoming minority leader, said several hours before the Senate voted 63-36 to pass the stopgap spending bill just before 11 p.m.

D

Deleted member 21794

Excuse the pun, but you’re dreaming if you think sane, honest people will blame the Dems for the failure of the House bill to get even 50 GOP votes in the Senate.
I'm citing a CNN poll, one of your favorite sources. Democrats are the most blamed in this poll. There's no way you can lie or spin your way out of it.

SW48

Administrator
Staff member
Supporting Member
The filibuster stuff is a canard. Again, the House bill didn’t even get 50 GOP votes. And the dreamer issue enjoys wide support in the polls in any event.

Will Trump and the GOP nevertheless continue to try blaming the Dems? Of course. But they will be trying to sell a lie, and sane, honest people don’t buy lies.
Government shutdown affects nothing and saves the country money. Although liberals here at PJ said it cost us a lot of GDP when it was shutdown last time.

Why should anything at all be attached to this legislation?

And why are those that didn't vote to fund the government not traitors now when they were last time the government shutdown?

Just interesting your flip flop on the subject.

Seems partisan.
Defunding Obamacare and DACA are 2 separate issues. Shutting down the government isn't an issue, it's a tool. Republicans used it to try and stop Obamacare, which I personally opposed. Now Democrats are using to maintain DACA.

Bugsy McGurk

President
There was a time, not too long ago, that Schumer showed reason and funded the government... that time at the "expense" of coal miners.
This time, illegal aliens take precedence over Americans of all shapes, sizes, and jobs.
THAT is deplorable.

http://dailysignal.com/2016/12/09/senate-democrats-retreat-allowing-spending-bill-to-averting-government-shutdown/

Senate Democrats, digging in their heels Friday over health benefits for retired coal miners, threatened to shut down the government over the weekend for lack of a short-term spending agreement by a midnight deadline.

“ We’re not going to shut down the government.”
—@SenSchumer

But Democrats gave in Friday evening, saying they would fight on in the new year but not be held responsible for shutting down the government.

“We’re not going to shut down the government. We’re going to keep it open,” Sen. Chuck Schumer, D-N.Y., the incoming minority leader, said several hours before the Senate voted 63-36 to pass the stopgap spending bill just before 11 p.m.
How can you possibly sell that lie when the bill didn’t even get 50 GOP votes?

Yikes.

Government shutdown affects nothing and saves the country money. Although liberals here at PJ said it cost us a lot of GDP when it was shutdown last time.

Why should anything at all be attached to this legislation?

And why are those that didn't vote to fund the government not traitors now when they were last time the government shutdown?
You convinced me, a shutdown affects nothing and saves money. SHUT IT DOWN.