• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

The Battle Of Marianna, Florida, September 27,1864

bdtex

Administrator
Staff member
Revisited Riverside Cemetery in Marianna too. Missed something the first time. A Union officer, Lt. Isaac Adams,2nd Maine Cavalry, was killed in the Battle Of Marianna and buried in Riverside Cemetery. Gravestone is hard to read. I had seen a picture of the top half of it and knew generally what the shape of it was but it would've been hard to find if the flag hadn't been there.

IMG_20190201_115237376_HDR.jpg

bdtex

Administrator
Staff member
It is not on the Walking Tour map but at the very end of the brochure is this:

"Also of interest is Riverside Cemetery where battle dead are buried. It is on Franklin Street between Davey & Bertram."

"of interest" is an understatement. Took the following pictures there last April. All of Marianna looks a little different now that Hurricane Michael ripped through there.

2018-04-13 14.36.36.jpg

bdtex

Administrator
Staff member
Upon entering the gate last April,this was just to the right. There was a little wind blowing and the flag was whipping.

2018-04-13 14.38.25.jpg

2018-04-13 14.44.07.jpg

bdtex

Administrator
Staff member
Within sight of the grave above was the gravestones of this soldier from the 1st Georgia Regulars:

2018-04-13 14.41.02.jpg

bdtex

Administrator
Staff member
A short drive on the cemetery road brings you to this monument to the fallen CSA soldiers at the Battle Of Marianna on the left hand side of the road.

Front view:

Back view:

bdtex

Administrator
Staff member
I knew it was a Confederate burial section before I ever got to it. It reminded me of the Confederate burial section at Mansfield City Cemetery.

2018-04-13 14.49.15.jpg

bdtex

Administrator
Staff member
This was an interesting gravesite. This veteran was apparently a casualty at the Battle Of Marianna but his original gravestone had the war years 1861 - 1865 on it. The flatstone looked fairly new.

Dawg

President
Supporting Member
A short drive on the cemetery road brings you to this monument to the fallen CSA soldiers at the Battle Of Marianna on the left hand side of the road.

Front view:

Back view:

I guess they'll protest and demand that headstone is removed?

Dawg

President
Supporting Member
I dunno but that's modern politics and belongs in another forum. Maybe you should start your own thread about it?
It was a Simple question so why the need to be a complete ahole? Everything else related to Confederacy is being torn down or demanded moved.

dammmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

I'll be sure to remember to not reply to any more of your post!

bdtex

Administrator
Staff member
Compare the second picture in post #17 to this picture to see an example of what Hurricane Michael did to Marianna. The tree to the right was uprooted and one of it's branches drove straight into the ground and is holding the tree up.

2019-02-01 12.42.57.jpg

bdtex

Administrator
Staff member
Marianna is the county seat of Jackson County,Florida. Thousands of acres in Jackson County look like this after Hurricane Michael.

IMG_20190203_174113677_HDR.jpg

IMG_20190203_174054741_HDR.jpg

IMG_20190203_174038770.jpg

IMG_20190201_161359385_HDR.jpg

bdtex

Administrator
Staff member
It was a Simple question so why the need to be a complete ahole? Everything else related to Confederacy is being torn down or demanded moved.

dammmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

I'll be sure to remember to not reply to any more of your post!
I'll try to lighten up a bit. Musta been in a grumpy mood that day. Don't remember what it mighta been. Must not have been important.

bdtex

Administrator
Staff member
Bump on the anniversary date of the battle. I was hoping I might get to make a quick visit to Marianna again early next year but it's looking like I won't. My Uncle who lived near there lives in Dothan, Alabama now.