1. Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?
    Dismiss Notice

The board is dying

Discussion in 'Announcements & Feedback' started by Constitutional Sheepdog, Aug 13, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Days

Days Governor

the answer is not more policing. The answer is to pick up more lively discussion. And Wooley is correct, the vast majority of the people that know how to write insightful pieces are the old fraysters and they - like myself - have gotten old, tired, and run out of inspiration for discussion boards.

But my idea of a PJ checkmark was not the to do the same type checkmark as the fray. There it meant excellence. Here, I just want to set a standard, the mark would just say that a post is up to code, not that it is excellent, just that it is good. Set a standard that anyone can reach and everyone should reach. The posters in this forum are all capable of meeting this standard, even the die-hard trolls. Once you get the ball rolling, new blood will come in. The answer is and always has been the same ... get back to writing posts.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Bear Claw

Bear Claw President

If they disagree with a post, then let them verbally state why instead of giving them the rating pacifiers to abuse posters with.

• Creative Creative x 1
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2019
  3. Emily

Emily NSDAP Kanzler

True, as are such things as hijacking, racism, and slurs. Mods need to have specific guidelines. Guidelines can't devolve into a speech code.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. Jen

Jen meh

I didn't say anything about a troll being someone we disagree with. It's not a left/ right thing at all......

Here are my earmarks of a troll:
    1. Someone who posts off topic in every thread it joins.
    2. Someone who always launches a personal attack
    3. Someone who spams nonsense in every thread it joins.

All of us do these things on occasion, mostly by happenstance or response in the moment. The troll does them all the time. A troll is trying to ruin threads, posters, the board in general. We only have a few trolls here. My wish is for them to become constructive posters. I don't wish for them to leave. I just want them to grow up and grow out of the need to always screech at someone or something or ruin someone's post because they hate that person.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Creative Creative x 1
  5. FakeName

FakeName Mayor

Again. In the eye of the beholder.

That is why most people on here think most of the trolls are on the other side.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Jen

Jen meh

I agree.
    And most trollish behavior is righty doing it to Lefty posts, Lefty doing it to Righty posts so that's how it is.

But my definition of a troll is specifically someone who ALWAYS does that. All of us do trollish things sometimes. There are a very few posters, less than 5, and I won't name my suspects there......... who consistently seek to destroy posts.......and yes......it's always posts of the opposite side. Again.....I don't want them gone. I just wish they would up their style.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Woolleybugger

Woolleybugger Mayor

True and if only I had kept some of my stuff over the years when I still cared enough to write something decent. There are some here who do put in some serious thought into their posts. Even though I am totally opposed to what he writes on philosophical grounds, Days is by far the most prolific and consistent writer of quality posts here. It is hard to diminish his writings due to the effort he puts into them.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
  8. Jen

Jen meh

I always look for and look forward to Days' posts.

Mine have turned to trash.......but it gets more response than good stuff. [​IMG]

That response is starting to not be enough though.............

9. Days

Days Governor

... that feels like a star to me. Makes up for the one I was robbed of, once upon a time, a long, long time ago.

Maybe, I'm asking for too much from the mods (I'm sure I am)... maybe the reasonable road to take would be to issue PJ checkmarks for good top posts, and leave it at that. If the top posts get back in line, the rest of the forum should follow, and if it doesn't, some of it should follow. Anyway, the top posts are what is needed. The top posts are what are visible, the whole effect of the checkmark is going to happen with the top posts.

PJ checkmarks for good top posts, hear, hear, what say you chaps?

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. Jen

Jen meh

I would be on board for that.
    I have hope that it would at least help.............though I wouldn't consider myself a contender, there are several here who are great posters.

11. Days

Days Governor

Again, this not a checkmark for excellence... just recognition for good top posts, top posts that made the grade. They should be within the reach of any poster here, if the poster would put out some modicum of effort.

Fray checkmarks were for grade A posts... bad idea.

PJ checkmarks should go to grade B (and better) top posts... Expect much better results.

.... watch what happens as soon as some of those show up on the Recent Posts list.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2019
  12. Woolleybugger

Woolleybugger Mayor

Well, if it's any consolation to you I too was pretty miffed I never got a star either especially at the end when they were handing them out to pretty weak posters. I know why I did not get one, I had very little self-control and had too much fun being a jerk on BallotBox with all the other crazy but lovable jerks. I went over to BOTF like a Charlie Tuna, it was filled with egos so large even mine could not compete. At any rate, I wanted to give you a compliment for trying. Keep your posts for your own record, store them on your PC. I sure wish I had over the years.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. Jen

Jen meh

I think the response will be good.
    But I don't think the admin has signed off on it yet.

14. Jen

Jen meh

It almost always devolves into speech code. There are only two words (imo) in that speech code and nobody should use them.........not even rap singers. But that's just my opinion.

15. Dawg

Dawg President Supporting Member

Interesting thread, don't see it dying unless you read Ilovejim post...…...every rule posted by admin is broken in every post it makes...……..Ignore works great for trolls

:) the oath you took didn't last long lil' bear Prog :)
    do continue whining of # of alerts you have Edited

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 16, 2019
  16. Jen

Jen meh

There are certain posts/ posters a person has to just scroll right on by. And that's okay.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. Dawg

Had to read thread before signing in so to read the one's I have in ignore and saw Bear Claw post of shaking hands with Em to make PJ better and he was whining of alerts and I'll be damn if the Prog didn't just do as he does all day troll members and rating dislike and I have the Prog in ignore...……..he didn't last long on the oath he promised...….not surprised...……..he's a Prog

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. Jen

Jen meh

BC promised to be nice to me........he wasn't.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. Days

Days Governor

Dawg what did you think of my checkmark idea?

20. Dawg

Didn't give it much thought Days...………….just glad Harvest is fixing to start...…….Edited

• Funny Funny x 2
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 16, 2019
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.