• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

The Coming Storm......

Zam-Zam

Senator
I didn't start with a view on that. Instead, I just went to the polls to see what they indicated. If her comments had been followed by a significant and enduring dip in her poll numbers, I'd have concluded it was a serious factor in the election and may have made the difference (with an absurdly small margin in three states having effectively decided the election, it would have taken very little to swing things). But, instead, it turns out her polling numbers were actually a bit higher in the period following those comments but before Comey's October surprise than they'd been before the comments. So it just doesn't look like it hurt her. If anything, based on the numbers you could make a stronger case it helped her.

Don't get me wrong -- I'm not personally defending those comments. I think it was offensive that she suggested fully half of the Trump supporters weren't deplorable. I realize she was just trying to be nice, but that kind of dishonesty is still disappointing. Still, the numbers just don't suggest it hurt her.

In a sense you could be right. With the power of Russia behind Trump, and also the FBI working so hard to get him elected, Clinton's actions didn't matter so much. There were a few points where she was able to appeal directly to the American people, without much of a media filter, and without competing with noise from Comey and Putin's army of troll accounts, and she did well then. During both the Democratic convention and during the debates, she surged dramatically in the polls. When people were judging her based on what they saw with their own eyes, she did well. But most of the time people were instead judging by the corporate media caricature of her, which in turn took its cues from the Kremlin and from Comey's personal smears, and that eroded her numbers.

It's not clear what she could have done to change that. She tried to get traction by focusing on issues that impacted everyday Americans, but her wonky political appearances were ignored by the media in favor of the obsessive focus on the non-issue of her email setup, and I just don't know how she could have pushed the coverage out of that brainless rut. That's why I'm not hard on Clinton the way so many on the left are. If I thought that she could have made changes that would have kept Trump out of office, I'd be tempted to bash her, too. But I think she did about as well as can be expected.

Although you may wish to give the credit for Hillary's defeat to Russia, I believe it actually belongs to the United States. If there is any evidence that Russia affected as much as one vote, I've yet to see it.

Perhaps no one in history was more destined to not be President than Hillary Clinton......:>)

And that's a good thing. It's all good, so no need for worry.

Arkady

President
Although you may wish to give the credit for Hillary's defeat to Russia, I believe it actually belongs to the United States.
There's certainly plenty of blame to go around. Although Americans voted for Clinton in significantly higher numbers than Trump, too many voted for Trump, resulting in his Electoral College win. To be honest, I don't know how much the Russians factored into that. It could have been a lot or very little. Because their involvement in the election was a chronic condition, rather than a single event, you can't look to the polls to determine what the impact was, the way we can with the deplorables comment (a one-time incident with no discernible impact), or Comey's October surprise (a one-time incident with a large enough impact to sway the overall election outcome).

Perhaps no one in history was more destined to not be President than Hillary Clinton......
How so? As a reminder, Clinton won the popular vote and came within a fraction of a point of winning each of the three states she'd have needed to win the electoral vote. She was on track to win it until Comey took the extraordinary step, days before the election, of abusing his office in order to get his fellow Republican elected. That's not destiny. That's a corrupt decision by one man cursing American with a Trump presidency (and, amusingly, ultimately leading to Trump firing Comey).

And that's a good thing.
I don't think so. As you're well aware, Hillary Clinton's policy agenda was substantially identical to the agendas of Obama and Bill Clinton. We had terrific results following such agenda both those times. During both those presidencies, unemployment and poverty fell, median real incomes and real GDP per capita rose, US approval ratings abroad strengthened, we enjoyed periods of lower combat death tolls than in the preceding presidencies, murder rates fell dramatically, as did violent crime rates overall and property crime rates, teen pregnancy plummeted, drop out rates fell, we had a couple of the longest economic growth cycles in American history, and we moved dramatically away from record budget deficits. I'd like to have seen whether a third go with such policies would also have been so very successful. Wouldn't you?

It's all good, so no need for worry.
Tell me, did you also think it was "all good" when GW Bush enacted similar policies as Trump is pursuing (radical upper-class tax cuts, and orgy of military spending, etc.)? As you'll remember, it didn't turn out to be "all good" that time. In fact, on Bush's watch, poverty rose, incomes fell, we had the worst recession since the Great Depression, the worst run of job creation over a period of that length in American history, collapsing US approval ratings abroad, the worst security failure in American history, the start of a catastrophic war fought on the basis of a pack of lies, a big decline in stock values, the first national bear market for real estate since the Great Depression, and most of the positive sociological trends of the Clinton years either reversing or at least losing nearly all their momentum. I hope you're right, that "it's all good." Experience, though, says you'd have to be a complete fool not to worry.

Zam-Zam

Senator
There's certainly plenty of blame to go around. Although Americans voted for Clinton in significantly higher numbers than Trump, too many voted for Trump, resulting in his Electoral College win. To be honest, I don't know how much the Russians factored into that. It could have been a lot or very little. Because their involvement in the election was a chronic condition, rather than a single event, you can't look to the polls to determine what the impact was, the way we can with the deplorables comment (a one-time incident with no discernible impact), or Comey's October surprise (a one-time incident with a large enough impact to sway the overall election outcome).

How so? As a reminder, Clinton won the popular vote and came within a fraction of a point of winning each of the three states she'd have needed to win the electoral vote. She was on track to win it until Comey took the extraordinary step, days before the election, of abusing his office in order to get his fellow Republican elected. That's not destiny. That's a corrupt decision by one man cursing American with a Trump presidency (and, amusingly, ultimately leading to Trump firing Comey).

I don't think so. As you're well aware, Hillary Clinton's policy agenda was substantially identical to the agendas of Obama and Bill Clinton. We had terrific results following such agenda both those times. During both those presidencies, unemployment and poverty fell, median real incomes and real GDP per capita rose, US approval ratings abroad strengthened, we enjoyed periods of lower combat death tolls than in the preceding presidencies, murder rates fell dramatically, as did violent crime rates overall and property crime rates, teen pregnancy plummeted, drop out rates fell, we had a couple of the longest economic growth cycles in American history, and we moved dramatically away from record budget deficits. I'd like to have seen whether a third go with such policies would also have been so very successful. Wouldn't you?

Tell me, did you also think it was "all good" when GW Bush enacted similar policies as Trump is pursuing (radical upper-class tax cuts, and orgy of military spending, etc.)? As you'll remember, it didn't turn out to be "all good" that time. In fact, on Bush's watch, poverty rose, incomes fell, we had the worst recession since the Great Depression, the worst run of job creation over a period of that length in American history, collapsing US approval ratings abroad, the worst security failure in American history, the start of a catastrophic war fought on the basis of a pack of lies, a big decline in stock values, the first national bear market for real estate since the Great Depression, and most of the positive sociological trends of the Clinton years either reversing or at least losing nearly all their momentum. I hope you're right, that "it's all good." Experience, though, says you'd have to be a complete fool not to worry.

I think you're wrong.

I'm pretty sure I'm not alone in that.

It's all good. No worries.

Arkady

President
I think you're wrong.
About what, specifically? Do you think I'm wrong about the various positive trends I listed that happened in the Clinton and Obama eras? About the various negative trends I listed that happened in the Bush era? About Hillary Clinton planning to pursue policies that were fundamentally similar to those that were in place during those earlier successes? About trump pursuing policies that are fundamentally similar to those that were in place during that earlier catastrophe? It would be helpful if I knew what, specifically, you thought was wrong?

Zam-Zam

Senator
About what, specifically? Do you think I'm wrong about the various positive trends I listed that happened in the Clinton and Obama eras? About the various negative trends I listed that happened in the Bush era? About Hillary Clinton planning to pursue policies that were fundamentally similar to those that were in place during those earlier successes? About trump pursuing policies that are fundamentally similar to those that were in place during that earlier catastrophe? It would be helpful if I knew what, specifically, you thought was wrong?
To what end?

I'm not interested in protracted blather, propaganda, progressive talking points, etc. That's your thing. At some point you decided to dedicate yourself to being conduit for the DNC crap machine - If that's what you want to be, that's fine. Mire yourself in minutiae that you've convinced yourself is Gospel is you like.

The last six decades have been wonderful for me. If I listen to you, I'd believe happiness only comes when we get what we think we want. That, to me, is a horrible philosophy, and no good comes from it. You're more than welcome to it, however, if that's what you think you want.

None of this will likely may an impact on you. That's your call.

I can't help but noticing that, right now, at this very moment, it's all good.

Arkady

President
To what end?
I'm trying to nail down what, specifically, you're saying is wrong. In your refusal to address the specifics of what I actually said, while still insisting you believe I'm wrong, it sounds like you're content to do the usual right-wing thing of "feeling" at an issue, rather than thinking about it. My facts irritate your prejudices, so you feel I'm wrong, even if you can't identify how. I guess that kind of vague touchy-feely approach to issues is just your thing. If you're satisfied with it, so be it.

If I listen to you, I'd believe happiness only comes when we get what we think we want.
No. As you know, I've never said anything remotely like that. That's just a lie you've decided to tell. Shouldn't you take a step back and think about why it is you so often have to invent things to attribute to me, rather than addressing things I've actually said?

I'm hoping you'll take this wake-up call to start to engage in a little introspection, so you can start to become a better person. Most people, upon hearing such wake-up calls, choose to continue to wallow in their immorality, but you needn't do so.

Zam-Zam

Senator
I'm trying to nail down what, specifically, you're saying is wrong. In your refusal to address the specifics of what I actually said, while still insisting you believe I'm wrong, it sounds like you're content to do the usual right-wing thing of "feeling" at an issue, rather than thinking about it. My facts irritate your prejudices, so you feel I'm wrong, even if you can't identify how. I guess that kind of vague touchy-feely approach to issues is just your thing. If you're satisfied with it, so be it.

No. As you know, I've never said anything remotely like that. That's just a lie you've decided to tell. Shouldn't you take a step back and think about why it is you so often have to invent things to attribute to me, rather than addressing things I've actually said?

I'm hoping you'll take this wake-up call to start to engage in a little introspection, so you can start to become a better person. Most people, upon hearing such wake-up calls, choose to continue to wallow in their immorality, but you needn't do so.
I'm quite happy, thank you. Life is phenomenal, and so much to look forward to besides.

It's all good, even if you don't want it to be.

Peace.

Arkady

President
I'm quite happy, thank you.
Glad to hear it. But what I'm hoping is that you'll improve yourself, morally, so that you can help others towards a happier life, rather than only caring whether your own life is phenomenal. Good luck.

Zam-Zam

Senator
Glad to hear it. But what I'm hoping is that you'll improve yourself, morally, so that you can help others towards a happier life, rather than only caring whether your own life is phenomenal. Good luck.
Keep you focus squarely on me at all times........:>)

BTW, your premise is false, but what's new?

Arkady

President
Keep you focus squarely on me at all times.
I'd rather not. As I mentioned, my focus is on the vulnerable. My hope is that by waking you up to the opportunity for moral self-improvement, I can end up helping them. If that also leads to a deeper fulfillment for you, that's great, but it's not my focus.

Last edited:

Zam-Zam

Senator
I'd rather not. As I mentioned, my focus is on the vulnerable. My hope is that by wake you up to the opportunity for moral self-improvement, I can end up helping them. If that also leads to a deeper fulfillment for you, that's great, but it's not my focus.

Mea Culpa, forgot the 'Sarcasm' Alert for the humor-impaired.

Since I am quite aware that you are in no position to judge, I give your assessment no weight. I hope that clarifies things for you. You may continue to opine about things of which you have no knowledge of if you so choose, and judging from your posting history, I imagine you will.

Be at peace.

Arkady

President
Mea Culpa, forgot the 'Sarcasm' Alert for the humor-impaired.

Since I am quite aware that you are in no position to judge, I give your assessment no weight.
Since you know, deep down, that I'm your moral superior, I understand that you'll defensively ascribe no weight to my advice, in order to excuse your continuing turpitude. That's fine. All I can do is continually offer you the opportunity to better yourself. Only you can take that opportunity. Good luck!

Since you know, deep down, that I'm your moral superior, I understand that you'll defensively ascribe no weight to my advice, in order to excuse your continuing turpitude. That's fine. All I can do is continually offer you the opportunity to better yourself. Only you can take that opportunity. Good luck!
Nonsense. Anyone who refers to 64 million Americans as sub-human scum has moral superiority over no one. In fact, that person has no morality at all.

Arkady

President
Sorry you weren't able to understand.
If you'd like people to think you're referring to someone other than Trump, best not to refer to such person as "the most despicable politician in American history," since naturally people will assume that's a description of him.

If you'd like people to think you're referring to someone other than Trump, best not to refer to such person as "the most despicable politician in American history," since naturally people will assume that's a description of him.
Everyone got it except you. Again.