• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

The coronavirus is the most foreseeable disaster in history — and so is President Trump’s inability to rise to the occasion.

The coronavirus is the most foreseeable disaster in history — and so is President Trump’s inability to rise to the occasion.

There were scattered warnings before Pearl Harbor and 9/11 of what was to come. But nothing like this. My Post colleagues report that throughout January and February, the U.S. intelligence community was warning Trump that the pandemic was going to hit America. “The system was blinking red,” one official said.

But Trump wasn’t paying attention. “It will all work out well,” he blithely tweeted on Jan. 24 while credulously thanking Chinese President Xi Jinping for “working very hard to contain the Coronavirus.” (A British study suggests China could have eliminated 95 percent of its cases if it had acted three weeks earlier, when a doctor first called attention to the epidemic in Wuhan.)

Because of Trump’s negligence, the United States lost two months of response time — precious days that should have been used to test the population, produce more N95 masks and ventilators, and build new hospital beds. This past week, the Pentagon finally announced that a Navy hospital ship would be heading to New York — but it will take at least two weeks to get ready. Why wasn’t the deployment order given sooner? Even now, with the crisis upon us, Trump hesitates to use his full authority to order wartime production of ventilators needed to keep thousands of patients alive.

Utterly lacking in empathy, Trump is incapable of rallying a shell-shocked nation. When asked on Friday, “What do you say to Americans who are watching you right now who are scared?,” Trump launched into a tirade against the reporter who asked the question. Like the snake-oil salesman that he is, his version of reassurance is to tout miracle cures that have not been verified by medical science.
I weep in anger and frustration imagining what might have been if Hillary Clinton — a sane, sensible adult — had won. We couldn’t have avoided the coronavirus, but we could have ameliorated its effects. We could be South Korea (102 deaths) rather than Italy (4,825 deaths and counting).
It was precisely because we were afraid of how Trump would mishandle his weighty responsibilities that some “Never Trump” conservatives supported Clinton in 2016. On May 8, 2016, I wrote in the Los Angeles Times: “There has never been a major party nominee in U.S. history as unqualified for the presidency. The risk of Trump winning, however remote, represents the biggest national security threat that the United States faces today.”

I do not cite my earlier article — one of dozens I wrote in 2015 and 2016 warning in ever-more-urgent tones of the danger of electing Trump — as a way of patting myself on the back for prescience. It took no foresight to predict that Trump would be a catastrophe in a crisis. It was close to the conventional wisdom. Yet nearly 63 million voters chose to disregard such warnings.

There were many reasons Trump won. Ironically, one of the most oft-cited was the desire to blow everything up, because Trump voters were convinced that things couldn’t get any worse than they were in 2016. As they shelter in their homes and the economy grinds to a halt, I wonder if perhaps they now realize how good they had it under President Barack Obama?
For the past three years, Trump supporters have scoffed at critics, claiming we are out-of-touch, pointy-headed, coastal elitists too focused on Trump’s unconventional way of speaking while ignoring his historic policy achievements — meaning an expanding economy that he inherited from Obama. Perhaps they would like to rethink that argument now that the stock market has given up all of the gains it made under Trump and the unemployment numbers are heading for Great Depression levels?

One of the biggest, if unstated, reasons so many voters opted for Trump is simply because he is an entertaining showman. His unscripted rallies were so mesmerizing that he earned billions of dollars in free airtime. The underlying assumption was that the federal government is so unimportant that it could be handed over safely to a reality TV star who revels in “unpresidented” behavior.

This was the result of post-Cold War, post-9/11 complacency, with voters imagining that they could take peace and prosperity for granted. If the coronavirus should teach us anything, it is that governing is a deadly serious business. Electing a grown-up isn’t a luxury; it’s a matter of life and death. The price of “owning the libs” turns out to be far higher than even most Trump critics could have imagined.
I knew he would be a bad president — but even I didn’t expect him to be Herbert Hoover-level bad. In a way, you almost can’t blame Trump for his epic incompetence: He is who he is. He didn’t deceive anyone. I blame the voters who elected him — and the senators who refused to impeach him. They should have known better. Because they didn’t, we will all pay a fearful price.

Max Boot

Nutty Cortez

Dummy (D) NY

There were scattered warnings before Pearl Harbor and 9/11 of what was to come. But nothing like this. My Post colleagues report that throughout January and February, the U.S. intelligence community was warning Trump that the pandemic was going to hit America. “The system was blinking red,” one official said.

But Trump wasn’t paying attention. “It will all work out well,” he blithely tweeted on Jan. 24 while credulously thanking Chinese President Xi Jinping for “working very hard to contain the Coronavirus.” (A British study suggests China could have eliminated 95 percent of its cases if it had acted three weeks earlier, when a doctor first called attention to the epidemic in Wuhan.)

Because of Trump’s negligence, the United States lost two months of response time — precious days that should have been used to test the population, produce more N95 masks and ventilators, and build new hospital beds. This past week, the Pentagon finally announced that a Navy hospital ship would be heading to New York — but it will take at least two weeks to get ready. Why wasn’t the deployment order given sooner? Even now, with the crisis upon us, Trump hesitates to use his full authority to order wartime production of ventilators needed to keep thousands of patients alive.

Utterly lacking in empathy, Trump is incapable of rallying a shell-shocked nation. When asked on Friday, “What do you say to Americans who are watching you right now who are scared?,” Trump launched into a tirade against the reporter who asked the question. Like the snake-oil salesman that he is, his version of reassurance is to tout miracle cures that have not been verified by medical science.
I weep in anger and frustration imagining what might have been if Hillary Clinton — a sane, sensible adult — had won. We couldn’t have avoided the coronavirus, but we could have ameliorated its effects. We could be South Korea (102 deaths) rather than Italy (4,825 deaths and counting).
It was precisely because we were afraid of how Trump would mishandle his weighty responsibilities that some “Never Trump” conservatives supported Clinton in 2016. On May 8, 2016, I wrote in the Los Angeles Times: “There has never been a major party nominee in U.S. history as unqualified for the presidency. The risk of Trump winning, however remote, represents the biggest national security threat that the United States faces today.”

I do not cite my earlier article — one of dozens I wrote in 2015 and 2016 warning in ever-more-urgent tones of the danger of electing Trump — as a way of patting myself on the back for prescience. It took no foresight to predict that Trump would be a catastrophe in a crisis. It was close to the conventional wisdom. Yet nearly 63 million voters chose to disregard such warnings.

There were many reasons Trump won. Ironically, one of the most oft-cited was the desire to blow everything up, because Trump voters were convinced that things couldn’t get any worse than they were in 2016. As they shelter in their homes and the economy grinds to a halt, I wonder if perhaps they now realize how good they had it under President Barack Obama?
For the past three years, Trump supporters have scoffed at critics, claiming we are out-of-touch, pointy-headed, coastal elitists too focused on Trump’s unconventional way of speaking while ignoring his historic policy achievements — meaning an expanding economy that he inherited from Obama. Perhaps they would like to rethink that argument now that the stock market has given up all of the gains it made under Trump and the unemployment numbers are heading for Great Depression levels?

One of the biggest, if unstated, reasons so many voters opted for Trump is simply because he is an entertaining showman. His unscripted rallies were so mesmerizing that he earned billions of dollars in free airtime. The underlying assumption was that the federal government is so unimportant that it could be handed over safely to a reality TV star who revels in “unpresidented” behavior.

This was the result of post-Cold War, post-9/11 complacency, with voters imagining that they could take peace and prosperity for granted. If the coronavirus should teach us anything, it is that governing is a deadly serious business. Electing a grown-up isn’t a luxury; it’s a matter of life and death. The price of “owning the libs” turns out to be far higher than even most Trump critics could have imagined.
I knew he would be a bad president — but even I didn’t expect him to be Herbert Hoover-level bad. In a way, you almost can’t blame Trump for his epic incompetence: He is who he is. He didn’t deceive anyone. I blame the voters who elected him — and the senators who refused to impeach him. They should have known better. Because they didn’t, we will all pay a fearful price.

Max Boot

Max Boot ? LOL!! A Never Trumper.

Trump was right.

Bugsy McGurk

President

Max Boot
Gotta love Max Boot. An honest Republican - a rare breed these days.

Great article.

JuliefromOhio

President
Supporting Member
The Trump admin learned of Coronavirus on Jan. 3, 2020.

Trump doesn't believe in science, math or medical experts......or bad news that would personally affect him. So he did nothing about actually addressing the pandemic coming. Remember, he recently told us he knew a pandemic was coming.....before everyone else did. Ha ha.

Max Boot
Wow! Just WOW!

So Boot's premise is something......anything......a virus even......that has never been "seen before", that is previously undiscovered and heretofore unheard of............IS SOMEHOW FORESEEABLE?

There you have it folks. Even more abject stupidity from our newest Russian bot and disinformation specialist. This is almost as good as your last fear mongering thread.

Keep em coming! Your doing yeoman's work.

Great article.
The Trump admin learned of Coronavirus on Jan. 3, 2020.

Trump doesn't believe in science, math or medical experts......or bad news that would personally affect him. So he did nothing about actually addressing the pandemic coming. Remember, he recently told us he knew a pandemic was coming.....before everyone else did. Ha ha.
And right on time........Here come the sheep!!!!

Bleat Bleat

Bugsy McGurk

President
Wow! Just WOW!

So Boot's premise is something......anything......a virus even......that has never been "seen before", that is previously undiscovered and heretofore unheard of............IS SOMEHOW FORESEEABLE?

There you have it folks. Even more abject stupidity from our newest Russian bot and disinformation specialist. This is almost as good as your last fear mongering thread.

Keep em coming! Your doing yeoman's work.
By their very nature pandemics involve newly discovered pathogens. No one claims that Trump or anyone else should have anticipated what that pathogen would be.

But we all knew that there would be another pandemic. Knowing that, Trump dismantled our pandemic response team to achieve “efficiency.” Trump didn’t want such a team “sitting around doing nothing.” Abject ignorance.

Perhaps even worse, even after COVID-19 arrived on the scene, Trump spent the next two months lying, denying, bumbling and fumbling. Two precious months wasted when a vast array of preparation measures could have been taken. And he’s STILL not doing everything that should be done. He does more harm that good, spending his time telling more lies, launching bizarre tirades against “the media,” praising himself, etc.

But despite all that, Trump cultists STILL worship at his feet.

Deplorable!

Raoul_Luke

I feel a bit lightheaded. Maybe you should drive.

Great article.
He was also a big Iraq WMD/war cheerleader - he got that 100% completely wrong. But now he's a wise man simply because he is criticizing Trump? LOL!

Raoul_Luke

I feel a bit lightheaded. Maybe you should drive.
Why would you accept this neocon's logic? Hillary would be running America on the EU model, had she won the election. She'd have been telling us to "hug the chinese" who were bringing us the disease.

I call bullshit on Boot's entire premise here (like I did when he was championing the Iraq war).

JuliefromOhio

President
Supporting Member
Count me in. We didn’t know the details of how his ignorance and profound personality disorders would create the disaster, but we just knew it would happen.
Yep, we also knew of his ignorance and profound personality disorders.....for years before he rode down that damn elevator.
One of my sisters, the day after the election, asked me how bad it would be. I told her it would be horrible every single day. There's no cure for personality disorders.

By their very nature pandemics involve newly discovered pathogens. No one claims that Trump or anyone else should have anticipated what that pathogen would be.

But we all knew that there would be another pandemic. Knowing that, Trump dismantled our pandemic response team to achieve “efficiency.” Trump didn’t want such a team “sitting around doing nothing.” Abject ignorance.

Perhaps even worse, even after COVID-19 arrived on the scene, Trump spent the next two months lying, denying, bumbling and fumbling. Two precious months wasted when a vast array of preparation measures could have been taken. And he’s STILL not doing everything that should be done. He does more harm that good, spending his time telling more lies, launching bizarre tirades against “the media,” praising himself, etc.

But despite all that, Trump cultists STILL worship at his feet.

Deplorable!
LOL! You're the "Trump" cultist here. You are fukn obsessed. He lives in your rotten diseased mind 24/7. Look at the hate you post here multiple times every single day. Pathetic.

Hey what did we do when the regular old seasonal influenza arrived on our shores this year.......just like every year ......and last year killed 34,000+ people and as many if not more this year????

WTF did you do? Did you call it Trump's fault? Did you come on this forum daily and whine and moan and predict doom and gloom?

Nope. You didn't. Because, truth he told, you're a callous, partisan hack incapable of intellectual honesty or objectivity.

Nevermind corona..... #regularinfluenzaisgoingtokillusall

I look forward to all your new threads about how 40,000 Americans will die from the yearly flu this cold season and it's the president's fault.