• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

The kind of jobs robots will be doing soon...

PhilFish

Administrator
Staff member
Death by DotCom

White-collar jobs will be automated just as quickly, so there's no reason Yuppies should feel so smug. Since most college graduates are generic and have no special natural talents, it will be easy to program the little they know and the even less they understand.

I didn't really have a pulse on what yuppies felt...but could be.

I do feel however that the lower impact stuff will feel the brunt first

PNWest

America's BEST American: Impartial and Bipartisan

Technology will always keep marching on. It's been this way for the past 2 hundred years and it will only accelerate. Young people would be wise to look out at the world and take a guess at what jobs can be done or will likely be able in the next few years to be done with technology and avoid careers in those areas. Work is going to go to wherever it can be done the cheapest. If you get an X-Ray, CT scan or MRI these days the radiologist that interprets the images is more likely to be in India than in the your own town. Everything that can be outsourced will be. It's a tough time to be starting out.

sear

Mayor
"Technology will always keep marching on. It's been this way for the past 2 hundred years" PW
I'm not merely trying to nit-pic here PW, but perhaps we can make the point sharper if we work together on it.

Technology has been advancing since proto-humans harnessed fire.
And while we surely have gotten some boosts, the Industrial Revolution for one, and the Silicon Revolution for another, it's not merely that change will persist.

The detail that's often overlooked by those involved is not merely that change is progressive, but that the rate of change is accelerating exponentially.

The life your great-grandfather lived may have been quite like the life his great-grandfather lived.

BUT !!

The life your great-grandson lives might be quite unfamiliar to you. OOOOO

On X-ray / MRI, remember "Watson"? The IBM computer that beat Ken Jennings?
After the Jeopardy victory Watson has moved on to working with medical doctors on improving the accuracy of reading these scans.
Independent of the progress already made, I suspect there's still more room for improvement.

PNWest

I'm not merely trying to nit-pic here PW, but perhaps we can make the point sharper if we work together on it.

Technology has been advancing since proto-humans harnessed fire.
And while we surely have gotten some boosts, the Industrial Revolution for one, and the Silicon Revolution for another, it's not merely that change will persist.

The detail that's often overlooked by those involved is not merely that change is progressive, but that the rate of change is accelerating exponentially.

The life your great-grandfather lived may have been quite like the life his great-grandfather lived.

BUT !!

The life your great-grandson lives might be quite unfamiliar to you. OOOOO

On X-ray / MRI, remember "Watson"? The IBM computer that beat Ken Jennings?
After the Jeopardy victory Watson has moved on to working with medical doctors on improving the accuracy of reading these scans.
Independent of the progress already made, I suspect there's still more room for improvement.

Absolutely correct. Technology is advancing exponentially. One of the things that really hit me the other day is the fact that the time from when I was born until today is larger than the difference between the time the Wright Brothers first flew an airplane and the time I was born.

Even when I was a kid we all 'knew' that things were changing at an accelerated pace but very, very few of us took that into consideration when choosing a career path. I got lucky.

And I hope to be around a long, long time to be amazed at whatever comes next.

sear

Mayor
On the Kill Devil Hill deal, me too.
I was born in 1954.
"when I was a kid we all 'knew' that things were changing at an accelerated pace" PW
I'm surprised.
A few bookish children perhaps.
But generally children tend to accept was is, and perceive steady-state. That may not necessarily mean they think new things aren't being invented, but wish such a thin slice of perspective to base it on, the logical assumption may be that the rate of change is fairly regular, which in fact it's probably been for most of human history.

btw
We shouldn't have that conversation without acknowledging Charles Holland Duell.

"Everything that can be invented has been invented." Charles H. Duell: US Patent Office Commissioner 1899 (Charles Holland Duell)

It seems Duell actually tried to shut down his own office. I appreciate his foresightedness.

What other civil servant can you name that would cut themselves out of a civil service job?

PNWest

On the Kill Devil Hill deal, me too.
I was born in 1954.

I'm surprised.
A few bookish children perhaps.
But generally children tend to accept was is, and perceive steady-state. That may not necessarily mean they think new things aren't being invented, but wish such a thin slice of perspective to base it on, the logical assumption may be that the rate of change is fairly regular, which in fact it's probably been for most of human history.

btw
We shouldn't have that conversation without acknowledging Charles Holland Duell.

"Everything that can be invented has been invented." Charles H. Duell: US Patent Office Commissioner 1899 (Charles Holland Duell)

It seems Duell actually tried to shut down his own office. I appreciate his foresightedness.

What other civil servant can you name that would cut themselves out of a civil service job?
I remember my grandparents talking about life in the depression era and my great aunt talking about the 1898 World's fair when she was a kid. That seemed so far back in time. Remember in 1954 WWII hadn't even been over for a decade. I remember when we got our first TV. Things have changed.

sear

Mayor
I read that the average car rolling off the assembly line has more computer power aboard than the Apollo 11 LEM, the first rocket to land men on our moon.
But I read that decades ago, and Moore's Law was being enforced for most of that time.

Since then I've read there are more transistors on Earth than there are leaves on the trees in the world.

It does rather summon to mind The Sorcerer's Apprentice.

"Space is cheaper than sort [& has been since 2006]." cryptographer Bruce Schneier

It used to be that to expand free space on a hard disc drive (HDD) a SysAdmin would delete obsolete files, etc.

Schneier says since 2006 the time it takes to cull such dead-wood out of HDD is more valuable than the space it creates. Thus it's cheaper to just get a bigger HDD.

Careful PW. 2 old men could go on like this all night.

"K9, Who's on First?"

It's only logical that the Masters will robotize those with the highest salaries first. Since these loyal serfs sacrificed years of their lives in college at the bidding of their future Masters, they've already proved that they can be pushed around and won't fight back. The ruling class knows that people who get put in their place won't hate the economic bullies, they will hate themselves.

Technology will always keep marching on. It's been this way for the past two hundred years and it will only accelerate. Young people would be wise to look out at the world and take a guess at what jobs can be done or will likely be able in the next few years to be done with technology and avoid careers in those areas. Work is going to go to wherever it can be done the cheapest. If you get an X-Ray, CT scan or MRI these days the radiologist that interprets the images is more likely to be in India than in the your own town. Everything that can be outsourced will be. It's a tough time to be starting out.
Pinocchio Pundits

Your mindless chant proves that the first humans to be replaced by robots were those who had been assigned to predict future trends. Naturally, when the androids took over those narratives, they predicted their own supremacy.