• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

The nurse committed suicide?

Minotaur

Governor
I saw the aussie DJ's on the news and they are destroyed as would be expected. I am left to wonder why a nurse would do such a thing over such a common prank? The problem with transfering mental illness to the DJ's is it condones suicide for folly as if there is a bad guy reason why someone went to that extreme over something so minor in a world where suicide is usually only understood if someone is in pain and/or dying. It seems to me this kind of suicide was an act waiting to happen. The direct result beyond the future lives she may have saved is that she made poor taste into a horrific memory for everyone involved. An unfunny common prank is not worth dying over.

I can't blame the DJ's as suicide over something so foolish is not blame worthy, it is selfish. It is unstable and it is intended to seek revenge or escape in a sick mind many times. If not now, it likely would have happened over something else.

Jen

Senator
It may have been her own personal "last straw", or that last straw could have been something else. But the fact is, she had problems and probably needed to not be a nurse if she was unstable. That sort of prank usually ends up with the recipient laughing at his/her self and maybe getting a nice parting gift. Instead, she needed someone to "pay" a price and it seems she did that. I feel sorry that she didn't get the help she obviously needed........before she killed herself. And now we have two DJ's whose lives will never be the same.

I don't blame the DJ's.

I don't think you understand the shame she would have felt ................I tried to explain it in 'Media' .......ya just don't get it.

Bo-4

Senator
Strongly agree.. but by doing such might us "lefties" be compromising ourselves... ehh, somehow? ;-)

Bo-4

Senator
It may have been her own personal "last straw", or that last straw could have been something else. But the fact is, she had problems and probably needed to not be a nurse if she was unstable. That sort of prank usually ends up with the recipient laughing at his/her self and maybe getting a nice parting gift. Instead, she needed someone to "pay" a price and it seems she did that. I feel sorry that she didn't get the help she obviously needed........before she killed herself. And now we have two DJ's whose lives will never be the same.

I don't blame the DJ's.
Jen Jen JEN!! These adolescent radio a-wads are not entirely blameless. While i agree with you and Min as to her mental problems...

To toss a dead woman under the bus for 10 minutes of comedy is NOT particularly excusable and there should be consequences.

Minotaur

Governor
It is a rather old passe prank in fact and accepted in most cases. One example is when a DJ punked Sarah Palin. Happens all the time. Not sure anything can or should be done to stop it. It has been done too often to too many people to think it would be undone. I would advise celebrity status come with some recognition that phone conversations can be that way. My understanding is that this duo was not even good with the spoof.

Given all that and because few come undone over the prank, it just is. The suicide is all that changed how one views this lone example so imo we are just buying into the suicide mentality when we think of it as an exception only because the DJ's in this case did not know how fragile her mind was. How in the world could anyone guess the impact of anything they say to anyone in a world where the complexity of the mind is the real issue?

Jen

Senator
Sorry but that old DJ the poser bit has been done a lot. It's stupid. I'll give you that. But there had to be a lot more going on with that poor nurse than just fending off bad callers. It's too bad she didn't have the personal support to be able to withstand that joke...... and I'm not blaming her for anything but she allowed it get to her more than it should have. I wish she could have waited until the embarrassment settled down a little bit in her mind before she did something as drastic as suicide.

Jen Jen JEN!! These adolescent radio a-wads are not entirely blameless. While i agree with you and Min as to her mental problems...

To toss a dead woman under the bus for 10 minutes of comedy is NOT particularly excusable and there should be consequences.

fairsheet

Senator
I didn't cheer it when they pulled it on Wasilla Sarah and I don't like it any better in this case. We don't know that the now-deceased nurse had any especial "mental issues". It might've simply been that she had a perhaps....especially strong sense of duty and responsibility. Just because you or I might not have taken this one as seriously as she did, doesn't mean her life should be so blithely dismissed. Limbaugh has made a godamned fortune out of spewing things that most people wouldn't think to spew. Some seem convinced that that makes him "special". This DJ [Unwelcome language removed] should've passed on the "opportunity" to advantage themselves of her vulnerable position.

NightSwimmer

Senator
To the best of my knowledge, there has been no evidence presented to indicate that this nurse's death was a result of suicide. Assuming (for the sake of argument) that she did commit suicide, there is no evidence whatsoever to link her suicide to the telephone prank.

This is merely wild-eyed, speculative gossip run amok in the pursuit of celebrity worship.

Minotaur

Governor
I think they are basing it on the initial first call by officials. What I read of the story the media assumed a note was found which would not be unusual but you are right that it is not official until the autopsy report is released.

Factually the DJ's are being blamed. My own view is as I stated that suicide over something like this is not blame worthy and it only shows the frailty of the mind leaning toward the end.

In any case we'll see what they based that initial call on soon enough.

fairsheet

Senator
To the best of my knowledge, there has been no evidence presented to indicate that this nurse's death was a result of suicide. Assuming (for the sake of argument) that she did commit suicide, there is no evidence whatsoever to link her suicide to the telephone prank.

This is merely wild-eyed, speculative gossip run amok in the pursuit of celebrity worship.
Yes but...suicide makes "sense". Incredibly coincidental non-suicide, makes less sense.

U

Union_Jack_1972

I saw the aussie DJ's on the news and they are destroyed as would be expected. I am left to wonder why a nurse would do such a thing over such a common prank? The problem with transfering mental illness to the DJ's is it condones suicide for folly as if there is a bad guy reason why someone went to that extreme over something so minor in a world where suicide is usually only understood if someone is in pain and/or dying. It seems to me this kind of suicide was an act waiting to happen. The direct result beyond the future lives she may have saved is that she made poor taste into a horrific memory for everyone involved. An unfunny common prank is not worth dying over.

I can't blame the DJ's as suicide over something so foolish is not blame worthy, it is selfish. It is unstable and it is intended to seek revenge or escape in a sick mind many times. If not now, it likely would have happened over something else.
I am not defending the action of the nurse nor am I going to atttempt to understand her reasoning, but do we actually know the real conversation between the Nurse and the heads of the Hospital?

Sure they say that they said nothing to warrant her actions, but could it be possible they had threaten her job?

Also th DJ's prank was wrong, and they should feel guilty for their damn stunt. You never know what will happen when an innocent prank is done, and with that maybe people will learn that their action could lead to someone death.

Now I am sure many will just dismiss what the DJ's did and just focus on the mental illness of the nurse, but we really do not know the conversations between her and the heads of the Hospital. Also we do not know if she had been mistreated at her Job, and co-workers may have been harsh to her because of her Mistake, and not being Anglo. I know not in England would be your thought, but I know about the racist lifestyle over there that many of you are ignorant about.

So before you pass off what she did as total mental illness maybe you and those like you should step in her shoes, and go over all the possible ways that caused her to kill herself...

The DJ's were the last straw...

PhilFish

Administrator
Staff member
I think the question should be....absent the incident with the DJ's, would this have occurred?

It may turn out that she was unstable and possibly would have occurred regardless.

It may also turn out that she was unstable, but managing, and this influence..and factors resulting therefrom..triggered an episode that otherwise may not have occured.

fairsheet

Senator
Nurses are professionals with an obligation to protect the privacy of their patients. I imagine that a British subject might consider that obligation to be especially important in the case of a "royal". It's relatively easy for the rest of us to dismiss her apparent actions as evidence of "instability", since we may not share her sense of professional obligation and respect for royalty.

But, it's just as possible that she considered the fact of her allowing herself to be "punked" by these punks, as a mistake at a level for which suicide was the only acceptable response. It's funny how we'll talk about how some bigtime American CEO might be responsible for the loss of $Billions or the deaths of 10's or 100's, and we'll get nary an apology out of him. And..we'll contrast that with stories from other cultures, of CEOs committing suicide in response to that sort of thing.

In those cases, we acknowledge the sense of "honor" displayed by those suicided CEO's. We don't assume that they had "mental issues".

Boltlady

Mayor

This is a classic example of the media and others putting out an assumption that becomes a widely held belief with no proof. That has been known to happen with quite a few 'suicides'. What if, for some reason, she had 'help'?

When the FBI had Osama bin Laden on the 10 Most Wanted list, being behind 9/11 was not one of the things he was accused of because the FBI could not prove that he was. That never stopped everybody believing that he was.

PhilFish

Administrator
Staff member
Right, it may just as readily be that she had no issues whatsoever. or--some sense of honor overwrought.. or any number of things..

Nurses are professionals with an obligation to protect the privacy of their patients. I imagine that a British subject might consider that obligation to be especially important in the case of a "royal". It's relatively easy for the rest of us to dismiss her apparent actions as evidence of "instability", since we may not share her sense of professional obligation and respect for royalty.

But, it's just as possible that she considered the fact of her allowing herself to be "punked" by these punks, as a mistake at a level for which suicide was the only acceptable response. It's funny how we'll talk about how some bigtime American CEO might be responsible for the loss of $Billions or the deaths of 10's or 100's, and we'll get nary an apology out of him. And..we'll contrast that with stories from other cultures, of CEOs committing suicide in response to that sort of thing.

In those cases, we acknowledge the sense of "honor" displayed by those suicided CEO's. We don't assume that they had "mental issues".
She was Indian born, a Catholic. It is the most prestigious Hospital in London, not any old Nurse would get work there. Discretion is everything. The Hospital says they were not angry with either of the Nurses and were doing their best to support them through bad press the shit.
I wonder how the Aussies got through to her at all ................. I have stopped reading about it so don't know if it is being asked. She couldn't have been the 'front line' though I wouldn't have thought.
It is a culture thing, Fair, you are right :)
We shall see what the inquest says ........in due course but I think the suicide usumption is based on something that is known ..reading between the lines.

NinaS

Senator
Supporting Member
I don't think you understand the shame she would have felt ................I tried to explain it in 'Media' .......ya just don't get it.
I don't know that much about the people in England, but I have a sneaky suspicion that they take things way more seriously than we do here. And I agree that some people are way more vulnerable than others. I have a sneaky feeling that when it comes to the Royal Family they are much more protective of them than they are about the First Family in America and would be humiliated if they thought they had done something to embarrass them. People like Britney Spears and Sarah Palin who were pranked in America are not in the same category IMO but Sarah's prank probably got just about as much attention as that one. The HUGE difference there is that I cannot imagine either William or Kate or the nurse who was duped begging for media attention like Sarah does. She has made an ass out of herself MANY times without the pranksters help and has gone on TV justifying her stupid actions or remarks. And she also has less empathy for others who are in the limelight than most people are.....aka Giffords and Sandra Fluke. She also thought it was silly for the Secret Service/FBI to make a big deal out of the threats to the Obamas during the 2008 campaign, humiliating them by making rash statements in front of thousands of people, obviously causing some dimwits to get all worked up enough to threaten their lives.

I don't think Americans ADORE any First Family members like they seem to in England and even the most vulnerable wouldn't feel that amount of humiliation if they screwed up like that woman did and kill themselves over it.

I do know that one young gay man killed himself over a prank played on him by his roommate but it was about his being "outed" publically. That prankster will either have to go to prison or be deported back to India which I feel is justified. They are now prosecuting bullies who cause the death of teens and I think that's fair....it has been going on too long, but I wouldn't compare the bullies to DJ pranksters...I don't believe the DJ pranksters have the intent that the bullies do....the bullies are no doubt TRYING to cause distress to their victims. In the example of the Masked Avengers pranking celebrities...they do it all the time and the only two they have pranked that didn't "catch on" were Britney and Sarah. They gave Sarah a ton of hints that they were NOT who they said they were...they just didn't know how badly she was in need of attention that she'd buy their story. I never heard Britney's but like they said...she wasn't trying to be the VP . LOL

fairsheet

Senator
A coupla years ago out here, a nurse administered some medication by mistake, that led to the death of an infant. It was a tragic mistake for sure. The subsequent investigation turned up absolutely nothing as regards the nurse, except that she made this one mistake. It did however, turn up some pretty glaring flaws in the hospital's regimes. In any case...the nurse lost her job - and her profession.

Alas, the $Millions paid to the child's parents and their lawyers, weren't sufficient. Their child died, so someone must pay with their life. At the very least, they wanted to see that nurse thrown in jail for decades. They eventually hounded the poor nurse to suicide.