• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

The nurse committed suicide?

fairsheet

Senator
The reason I didn't get such a kick out of it when it was pulled on Palin, was that as much as we may've loved to laugh at her for her "stupidity" in that case, it was something that in reality, could've happened to any of us. To me, that sort of thing is akin to a "fart joke".

Minotaur

Governor
The radio station just paid $525,000 to the family of the recent nurse situation. For whatever reason fault has been applied. It may be that no one will be satisfied unless a DJ commits suicide. My point is not so much the right or wrong but the limitations if suicide is the answer for someone. No one can guess who is capable but suicide as a solution is the extreme that some take over issues that get to their bottom line. In this case a dumb prank may have been the cause or the excuse. More lives are saved by looking at the act seriously than pretending it was the last person they were in contact with. Suicide can be a very selfish solution for a sick mind.

The loved ones never get over it. Guilt stays with that kind of act. Is there ever a good reason for it other than poor health issues? We can't predict it either. Whose mind is fragile enough to follow through with such a painful final act. Parents and loved ones live with that. Blaming 2 DJ's is just condoning or encouraging it.

She was the victim of a ignorant prank. It happens. At this point that is all we know, well, that plus no one blamed her or saw her as anything but pranked. In fact the target of the prank was royalty not her. I don't mean to sound harsh but why do to the DJ's what is done to others. Society always demands blood and when they get it they are shocked. Hound the DJ's until they are another sad ending to the story. Who knows, one of them may be as fragile.

Mmmm it is an odd relationship that we have with our Monarchy. Your First Family is a Politician not the same as Birth ... this is old but -

[video=youtube_share;kjz1wOTz6GU]http://youtu.be/kjz1wOTz6GU[/video]

As for our insensitivities too each others cultures. Yes, that is part of the problem here but I don't see an English Nurse taking it as seriously as this young woman seems to have done.

Are they talking about prosecuting the Aussies? Well we can't do it ......it would have to be done in Australia surely? .........on what charge? Thoughtlessness?

fairsheet

Senator
Millions of young men have marched off to near certain death in war, for causes that seem silly in retrospect. We don't write those young men off as having suffered "mental issues".

Min, this has came just after The Leveson Report. The inquiry which came about in the first place because our Press hacked a missing girls phone and deleted half the messages ....she had been murdered. You don't fully understand the atmosphere here, nor us, you are judging it as though it happened in the USA the DJs are not from here either.

They will get over it, they are young. It is as much the stations fault for putting it on air. Tons of shit like that is done and never aired.

They are DJs and have put themselves in the public domain that Nurse was the opposite, she was thrown into the public domain by them.

It is exactly the effect that this can have on ordianry people which we, as a society, are questioning here at the moment after Leveson .................... The DJs should have known this especially since they come from Murdocks home land. am sorry for them but they did it and the consequences is what it is ............ It could have been otherwise but it wasn't. How many near misses in life have we all had ?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2012/dec/11/leveson-report-alan-rusbridger

The Hospital will end up carrying the blame ..I betcha ............

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/nurse-at-centre-of-kate-middleton-phone-call-hoax-tragedy-left-suicide-note-to-family-8405954.html

NinaS

Senator
Supporting Member
The reason I didn't get such a kick out of it when it was pulled on Palin, was that as much as we may've loved to laugh at her for her "stupidity" in that case, it was something that in reality, could've happened to any of us. To me, that sort of thing is akin to a "fart joke".
True...it could have happened to any of us BUT when you listen to the clip, they gave her HUGE hints that they were actually not who they said they were. I'd think that she could have figured that out when they mentioned the documentary "Nailin' Palin' or when he said his wife was "hot in bed".and about killing small animals. They said she and Britney were the only two who never caught on and that says much. Agreed, it is mean but as I pointed out...Sarah never cares what she says about others and even when she was told about the consequences of her big mouth she continued. Do I feel sorry for her? Not really. Would I do that to anyone? No.

NinaS

Senator
Supporting Member
A coupla years ago out here, a nurse administered some medication by mistake, that led to the death of an infant. It was a tragic mistake for sure. The subsequent investigation turned up absolutely nothing as regards the nurse, except that she made this one mistake. It did however, turn up some pretty glaring flaws in the hospital's regimes. In any case...the nurse lost her job - and her profession.

Alas, the $Millions paid to the child's parents and their lawyers, weren't sufficient. Their child died, so someone must pay with their life. At the very least, they wanted to see that nurse thrown in jail for decades. They eventually hounded the poor nurse to suicide.
That is terrible. Anyone can make a mistake. People are cruel...that's about the size of it.

gabriel

Governor
I saw the aussie DJ's on the news and they are destroyed as would be expected. I am left to wonder why a nurse would do such a thing over such a common prank? The problem with transfering mental illness to the DJ's is it condones suicide for folly as if there is a bad guy reason why someone went to that extreme over something so minor in a world where suicide is usually only understood if someone is in pain and/or dying. It seems to me this kind of suicide was an act waiting to happen. The direct result beyond the future lives she may have saved is that she made poor taste into a horrific memory for everyone involved. An unfunny common prank is not worth dying over.

I can't blame the DJ's as suicide over something so foolish is not blame worthy, it is selfish. It is unstable and it is intended to seek revenge or escape in a sick mind many times. If not now, it likely would have happened over something else.
you have no idea what youre talking about

It was reported, today, I believe, that she DID leave a note, but the content has not been released.

Yes she left a note to her family. No it wouldn't be released. The inquest is tomorrow and it is likely to be an Open verdict and so 'inquiries' will carry on .............

The family who don't listen to the news had no idea what was going on until they were told of her death.

Minotaur

Governor
And of course you make a statement and offer nothing in the way of a hint as to what you know about suicide that makes you an expert.

Minotaur

Governor
The vast majority of soldiers may feel they will come out alive. Humans are strange animals and you see it even in those people who challenge death as daredevils. Why we do that is something we may never fully understand. Suicide is different in that the goal is to die. I suspect most have been touched by it when it happens and those left are left to struggle with horrific guilts and pain in many cases. I see no guilt or insult in discussing the realities of suicide. We can't go on blaming others for whatever causes that one final act that goes against instinct of survival. It is always heartbreaking and a huge loss. My hope is that we do not glamorize it or issue blame but instead examine how self imposed and final it is. I think in many cases it is known that a final straw was reached but it took time to reach that final end and it can happen over anything related to whatever is going on in that persons mind.

I always worried even about words we use in writing and how things are interpreted when writing for a large audience. You just don't know when what you say impacts in unexpected ways. Of course it is mental. Everything related to the human mind is. The question and guilt of survivors is always "What signs did we miss" which shows we know it is not a stand alone act to see someone take their life over a lone incident.

''I always worried even about words we use in writing and how things are interpreted when writing for a large audience. You just don't know when what you say impacts in unexpected ways. Of course it is mental. Everything related to the human mind is. The question and guilt of survivors is always "What signs did we miss" which shows we know it is not a stand alone act to see someone take their life over a lone incident.''

What any of us may say on here .....we are not throwing people to the wolves ....we are being honest, well most of us are most of the time.

The DJs or rather their Radio Station,, knowingly, without care, threw those Nurses to the British Press ....do you know what the British Press are capable off? Do you have any idea what they do to peoples lives ? Do you have any idea of that Nurses' life anyway? I do. Whilst all this was going on and still, Kates' sickness can be life threatening, sometimes babies have to be aborted to save the mother. Looking after her and others who are sick was the Staff Nurses life, not expecting stupid Aussies to be making crank calls. Crank calls to places where serious shit is going on are not the same as worrying about hurting another persons sensibilities
Why are you relating it to us/you ? It isn't the same thing at all.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2012/dec/12/nurse-prank-call-found-hanged

NightSwimmer

Senator
If anyone is at fault here it is not the pranksters, but the garbage gossip rags in the UK being passed off as works of "journalism".

Easier though, to find a scapegoat than to admit to homegrown frailties.

I am not blaming them. I feel very sorry for them.Bu they were stupid and insensitive and the Station broke the rules of conduct ....we see the consequences. And pity them all.

The atmosphere here was one of questioning the Press and of course ourselves for lapping it all up and wanting more, more, more ( not me personally ) and at the same time we are questioning Institutions ( Jimmy Saville and other stuff ) ..........so when this happened it was all the more poignant.

People are not blaming any one.

I did see that the Sun had pulled some of its front pages from the Web ............... I don't read or listen to gutter Press so have to ask my sis what is being said, but she has big health fears at the mo so shan't ask :) I'll listen to question time this week to get a flavor of what is being said but ..all this he, she, it is to blame seems to be abating here .................. I hope we are gentling down a bit but when life is tough and the weather is freezing ..................mmmmm people worry more about can they heat their house and feed themselves .........

Balderdash. It was a harmless prank call. Nothing more... Nothing less.

BTW: Do you have Prince Albert in a can?
A member of the Monarchy is in hospital for a potentially life threatening sickness, for her and her baby,and you think it a harmless to play a 'Prank' ? To some how get hold of the Duty Staff Nurses number and phone it pretending you are someone else ........as a Prank? A Prank on a people you do not know or understand on the other side of the World.

Hey America would extradite them and bang them up for 60 years without a doubt

At best it was stupid, ignorant and childish carelessness ................ It shows us another thing about ourselves ....that we listen on the Radio to people who have no idea about shit ! It is all surface we have no more depth ...............

You will now tell me we take Monarchy too seriously ...So come and change our regime too .and then we can all be the same with no need for sensitivities between Lands.

I know what a Prank call is ....this wasn't actually a Prank, if it was it was tasteless ..........will they be calling the undertakers of the Nurse do you suppose ?