• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

The nurse committed suicide?

NightSwimmer

Senator
If you want to know who is really to blame for the mess, then forget the silly prank callers and the press. It is the idiot consumers of this crap journalism who are truly at fault. You can't sell this horse shit unless someone is buying it.

If you want to know who is really to blame for the mess, then forget the silly prank callers and the press. It is the idiot consumers of this crap journalism who are truly at fault. You can't sell this horse shit unless someone is buying it.

I am not trying to put the blame on any one.

I just said that Knight ! Do you actually read what I say. The Pamphleters/Rumour-gutter Press have been around for over 300 years, should we ban them now ? They have the Sports pages don't forget ........and we cannot say 'we shall do what we wish, we know what the consequences will be but it shouldn't be so, so we are going to do it anyway'.

The Broadcasters were in fact counting on Public appetite when they 'aired' the phone call where they not ? Or are you telling me they didn't expect the Press to take any notice ?.

The Press have with the Royal family a deal as they do with all establishments and Organizations and such. I don't know how the two got the phone code for the Duty Nurses desk but don't you think our Press could have done? Of course they could but they don't. They may speculate and they might have 'inside sources' ( hacked phones ) but as far as the Hospital is concerned they have a Press liaison.

It works for the Press and gives the Royals a certain amount of privacy, this is why there was so much fuss about Kates topless photo ..............but the breaking of the deal here, the poor Nurse aside, is more far reaching .....for instance. .Many women with Kates sickness have to spend their whole pregnancy in hospital, sometimes the baby has to be aborted. Kate left after this story broke .........where shall she go if she needs to be hospitalized now ? No there are not that many Hospitals set up for looking after Royalty. Must every Nurse there now be on their guard every time the phone rings ? Mistrust all those phoning for news of their loved ones

No one thing or person is to blame ..not even the Sun readers ......... it is a lesson of responsiblity all around and one that these two DJs have learnt the hard way ...some of us do.

Misogyny has hardly been touched on, apart from Morrissey but actually I find the whole thing about Kates 'morning sickness' being a joke very Misogynistic.

The Pranksters .......

At the time of Saldanha’s suicide, 2Day FM was serving two five-year license probations over stunts that violated Australia’s broadcast code. In August 2009, DJ Kyle Sandilands of “The Kyle and Jackie O Show” got a 14-year-old girl to admit that she had been raped after strapping her to a polygraph machine while her mother quizzed her about her sexual activities. “I’ve already told you the story about this, and don’t look at me and smile because it’s not funny,” the girl said on air. “Oh OK, I got raped when I was 12 years old.” Cruelly, Sandilands pressed on, asking, “Right, and is that the only sexual experience you had?”

The show was taken off air following protests from listeners and the then-prime minister. The station’s (very) formal statement at the time: “Following a great deal of consideration and having consulted Jackie O and all stakeholders, Austereo has formed the view that it is in the interest of all parties, for the ‘Kyle & Jackie O Show’ to go into recess until we have completed an across-the-networks review of the principals and protocols of our interaction with our audience.”

The program was reinstated three weeks later.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2012/12/07/2day-fm-the-radio-station-behind-the-tragic-kate-middleton-prank.html.

NightSwimmer

Senator
The Broadcasters were in fact counting on Public appetite when they 'aired' the phone call where they not ? Or are you telling me they didn't expect the Press to take any notice ?.

I doubt that an Australian radio show was expecting to get a rise out of the British press. People around the world don't obsess over England so much as you might expect. I'm sure that their intent was to entertain their own, local radio audience. That doesn't excuse tawdry behavior on their part, but, as with the British press, these "shock jocks" wouldn't become wealthy by promoting bad behavior if they had no audience craving the product.

The problem is with the audience, whether it is in Australia, Great Britain or the United States. I won't deny that we have more than our share of crap journalism here at home. I simply refuse to lay the blame entirely on the publishers. As I said before, you can't sell this horse shit unless someone is buying it.

I doubt that an Australian radio show was expecting to get a rise out of the British press. People around the world don't obsess over England so much as you might expect. I'm sure that their intent was to entertain their own, local radio audience. That doesn't excuse tawdry behavior on their part, but, as with the British press, these "shock jocks" wouldn't become wealthy by promoting bad behavior if they had no audience craving the product.

The problem is with the audience, whether it is in Australia, Great Britain or the United States. I won't deny that we have more than our share of crap journalism here at home. I simply refuse to lay the blame entirely on the publishers. As I said before, you can't sell this horse shit unless someone is buying it.
Of course I am aware that people around the World are not particularly interested in what goes on inside each others countries , I have lived in 'The World' ;) But Australia is still a part of the British Commonwealth and the British Monarchy is also their Monarchy, the relationship in not comparative to that of ours with the USA for instance.
And not for a moment can we suppose that the Radio Station did not think that the British Press would not pick it up ....they probably gave it to them.

The audience isn't going away though Knight nor is the press, any of it. It may change as society does,as in,once they were sitting knitting the hair of the recently beheaded or throwing rocks at those in The Stocks and now they must content themselves with reading The Sun or the Daily Mail or The Mirror or The People and or worse ...........

As symptoms of society as well as critiques of society ?

Back to your first point of this not being interesting to 'this audience, I didn't bring it up nor was I going too, Min started this thread by blaming the Nurse. 'She must have been unbalanced and now these two poor 'innocent' DJs must suffer the guilt for ever'. But the question is about society as we know it to be, I am not going to poke a hungry Lion on it's nose and not expect to get eaten but that would be up to me, what though if I poke a hungry Lion on its' nose and shove an unsuspecting anonymous person in its' way after I poked it on its nose? What difference if that unsuspecting person is emotionally unbalanced or not ? Why hadn't someone fed the Lion ? The Lion shouldn't be there ? Sould have been muzzled or stuffed and pit in a museum ? They are no arguments The Lion is .and it is always hungry, at this time in our evolution.

There was a Aussie in the audience of Question Time this week who said that it is the way of Australians to make fun and ect ............. I know they are not very respectful of especially the British and that is cool, I have no problems with that but is it OK to play distasteful Pranks on Hospitals, full stop, and about a young, seriously ill, pregnant woman, whoever she is, and be Oh so surprised and upset when someone who was humiliated by their Prank, what ever their state of mind, is badly hurt by it?

By bringing any anonymous person unwittingly into the Public arena, into the Lime light, especially by humiliating them, is always going to be playing with fire

NightSwimmer

Senator
I'm not familiar with Australian society, but I am very familiar with Canada. Trust me, the Canadian people go along with the facade of being a part of the "British Commonwealth", but they don't take it seriously nor spend any time thinking about it. They are effectively an independent nation and they understand full well that all of the Monarchy nonsense is nothing more than cute, vestigial pageantry.

Your Royal Family is of no more consequence to world affairs than are our movie stars in Hollywood. If anything, the movie stars probably wield more power in influencing world culture than do the inbred remnants of the Royal Family.

You have grossly mis-characterized the nature of Minotaur's top post. I am in complete agreement that this prank was not a reasonable motivation to trigger a suicide. I am sympathetic to the plight of the deceased nurse and for the loss to her friends and family. I have known several friends who have committed suicide myself, and I don't think that I will ever fully understand the motivation for any of their deaths. To pretend that you have some special knowledge of what motivated this nurse to commit suicide is both arrogant and irrational.

I'm not familiar with Australian society, but I am very familiar with Canada. Trust me, the Canadian people go along with the facade of being a part of the "British Commonwealth", but they don't take it seriously nor spend any time thinking about it. They are effectively an independent nation and they understand full well that all of the Monarchy nonsense is nothing more than cute, vestigial pageantry.

Your Royal Family is of no more consequence to world affairs than are our movie stars in Hollywood. If anything, the movie stars probably wield more power in influencing world culture than do the inbred remnants of the Royal Family.

You have grossly mis-characterized the nature of Minotaur's top post. I am in complete agreement that this prank was not a reasonable motivation to trigger a suicide. I am sympathetic to the plight of the deceased nurse and for the loss to her friends and family. I have known several friends who have committed suicide myself, and I don't think that I will ever fully understand the motivation for any of their deaths. To pretend that you have some special knowledge of what motivated this nurse to commit suicide is both arrogant and irrational.
I wasn't talking about Monarchy, I simply meant that The Australians have a link to it, which you do not and so feel possibly freeer to 'play' with it.. I wasn't making a statement about Monarchy and or their place in the Great or Lesser scheme of things here or abroad.

Min took something from another culture and related it to her own. If she wanted to make a statement about the effect that suicide has ........fine, since it was related to here I feel I may add my 2 pence worth and give a little of the background and prvailing atmospher ...you don't want to know ....I see that.

I too have had dear friends who have killed themselves ..........I was the last person one of my sweetest girl friends ever spoke too ....I said 'I am so tired, I must sleep, I'll call you later' she hung herself, I was her last 'hope' ......... we never know.

I have not said I have any special knowledge of the Nurse. I have said that to throw any 'unknown' person into the Lime Light without their consent or at the very least their prior knowledge is playing with their lives.

The Press being what it is the Radio station knew what they were doing. So, even though they say they had no idea it would end in tragedy, the responsibility sits with them. It makes no difference what so ever, what the Nurses state of mind was .certianly, we realise. not to them. There are fairy stories enough warning against such ruses and since it wasn't the first time. I for one, no longer feel too much sympathy for them. They played with other peoples lives ........now it is their turn, sadly.

I was not looking to blame anyone, that is just where the 'buck' stops, that's life, and all of us may learn more sensitivity from this tragedy.

gabriel

Governor

save your pseudo pontifications on canadian thoughts on their ha of state for your ignorant countrymen. you know very little about the feelings of casnadians in general just because you know a few of them. your claims of vestiginal pagentry are prime examples of your shallow understanding of canada. i'm imprressed you can spell it and can perhaps find it on a map. but thats about as far as it goes pal.

P

PACE

I remember back in the seventies we had a typing "pool" remember those?

Five women who worked together, one was the alpha something, she was a real battle ax at the tender age of 25, she tortured and tormented one of the girls, a gangly, silent, red haired, awkward young girl, I used to intervene and bi-tch slap this fat little toad once in a while, but it didn't help

That red haired girl committed suicide and left a note about how miserable she was, and how she felt that she was worthless after hearing it day after day,,, sickness, probably.

Well, that following Christmas, I got the battle ax's name in a grab bag, I bought a muffler, and had it etched with "for your mouth" you could have heard a pin drop when she opened it.

No words were required, joke? not on your life, I was serious.

Regards
Pace

gabriel

Governor
I wasn't talking about Monarchy, I simply meant that The Australians have a link to it, which you do not and so feel possibly freeer to 'play' with it.. I wasn't making a statement about Monarchy and or their place in the Great or Lesser scheme of things here or abroad.

Min took something from another culture and related it to her own. If she wanted to make a statement about the effect that suicide has ........fine, since it was related to here I feel I may add my 2 pence worth and give a little of the background and prvailing atmospher ...you don't want to know ....I see that.

I too have had dear friends who have killed themselves ..........I was the last person one of my sweetest girl friends ever spoke too ....I said 'I am so tired, I must sleep, I'll call you later' she hung herself, I was her last 'hope' ......... we never know.

I have not said I have any special knowledge of the Nurse. I have said that to throw any 'unknown' person into the Lime Light without their consent or at the very least their prior knowledge is playing with their lives.

The Press being what it is the Radio station knew what they were doing. So, even though they say they had no idea it would end in tragedy, the responsibility sits with them. It makes no difference what so ever, what the Nurses state of mind was .certianly, we realise. not to them. There are fairy stories enough warning against such ruses and since it wasn't the first time. I for one, no longer feel too much sympathy for them. They played with other peoples lives ........now it is their turn, sadly.

I was not looking to blame anyone, that is just where the 'buck' stops, that's life, and all of us may learn more sensitivity from this tragedy.
good post. these guys have a very limited understanding of the subtleties of other cultures but being americans, cant comprehend how it could be any different than theirs. the greatest civilization in the history of the planet and all that crap!

NightSwimmer

Senator
save your pseudo pontifications on canadian thoughts on their ha of state for your ignorant countrymen. you know very little about the feelings of casnadians in general just because you know a few of them. your claims of vestiginal pagentry are prime examples of your shallow understanding of canada. i'm imprressed you can spell it and can perhaps find it on a map. but thats about as far as it goes pal.

Hello gabriel. Nice to see that you haven't changed.

gabriel

Governor
The monarchy is a joke. You simply don't have a sense of humor.
as i said, you have a very shallow understanding of what kind of feelings canucks might have for their head of state. if you see it as a joke, thats fine by me but your arrogance in trying to speak for 33 million canadians is typical of ignorant americans.

i'm not too impressed by the system you guys use to choose a head of state either but I wouldnt speak for how 350 million of you feel about it.

NightSwimmer

Senator
as i said, you have a very shallow understanding of what kind of feelings canucks might have for their head of state. if you see it as a joke, thats fine by me but your arrogance in trying to speak for 33 million canadians is typical of ignorant americans.

i'm not too impressed by the system you guys use to choose a head of state either but I wouldnt speak for how 350 million of you feel about it.
Right.

NightSwimmer

Senator
Face it, gabriel. You are a contrarian who insists that no one else has the right to be contrary.

I've never tried to speak for 33 million, but the hundreds of Canadians that I do know certainly have shown no signs of being obsessed with fealty to the British Crown. The trappings of the Monarchy are merely vestigial now even in Great Britain. The true political power is held by the Parliaments in both nations.

Madame's implication was that Australian radio personalities play to the British public simply because they belong to the Commonwealth. I disagree with that assertion. I am of the opinion that their prank was intended only to amuse their local, Australian audience. Our discussion had nothing whatsoever to do with how either Americans, Australians or Canadians select their Heads of State.

gabriel

Governor
Face it, gabriel. You are a contrarian who insists that no one else has the right to be contrary.

I've never tried to speak for 33 million, but the hundreds of Canadians that I do know certainly have shown no signs of being obsessed with fealty to the British Crown. The trappings of the Monarchy are merely vestigial now even in Great Britain. The true political power is held by the Parliaments in both nations.

Madame's implication was that Australian radio personalities play to the British public simply because they belong to the Commonwealth. I disagree with that assertion. I am of the opinion that their prank was intended only to amuse their local, Australian audience. Our discussion had nothing whatsoever to do with how either Americans, Australians or Canadians select their Heads of State.
you know nothing of the workings of a constitutional monarchy. of course the political power is held by the parliament, thats the way its designed. the monarch is the head of state. stick to whatever it is you know pal, its obvious that this subject is too deep for you. to suggest that the head of state is vestigial in a constitutional monarchy is the height of ignorance. if it was, those countries would choose to become republics.