• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

The popular vote isn't a thing

Raoul_Luke

I feel a bit lightheaded. Maybe you should drive.
The states that decided this election were Wisconsin, Michigan and Pennsylvania. The campaigns are run in battleground states. Not the small states. The Electoral College creates "one party states"....republicans in California or New York and democrats in Texas don't count in presidential elections...so the EC discourages turnout.

We are a republic because we elect representatives to the House to vote on legislation instead of having elections to do it. The small states are protected by their senators...they get the same representation in the Senate as every other state...See how that works?

Meanwhile, the president is not the president of individual states. He is the president of the nation. That is why the NATIONAL POPULAR VOTE should and will elect him.
And you would prefer it become a one party nation. What could possibly go wrong?

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-10-05/these-two-charts-depict-which-cities-will-file-bankruptcy-next

Raoul_Luke

Big states aren’t “malevolent” toward small states, they are just dragged down by their backwardness.

“Illegal aliens” don’t vote in presidential elections.

The best reason to have a democracy is to provide a check on the power of government that the current oligarchic republic doesn’t allow for.
Anyone who thinks a popular vote for POTUS will provide "a check on the power of government" is either stoned or insane...

Raoul_Luke

No it isn't. With a popular vote, all votes are equal. With the electoral college, some votes get weighed heavier than others. It's affirmative action for small states.
You guys are all for "affirmative action" for minorities, until the minority is majority white. And you call US "racists?"

Boca

Governor
I don't know, but it seems to me that when 11 states (22%) have the 270 electoral votes (100%) needed to elect the President that the other 39 could just not have elections and save a lot of money.

What say we just see who wins the most states? If it comes out at 25 each flip a coin.

Last edited:

middleview

President
Supporting Member
Napoleon I’s great-nephew (Louis-Napoleon Bonaparte), who became Napoleon III, did.
yes he did, So?

It is important to note that at that time he was limited to a single four year term. In his third year he mounted his own coup against the government and made himself emperor.

Last edited:

now_what

Governor
Supporting Member
You guys are all for "affirmative action" for minorities, until the minority is majority white. And you call US "racists?"
So you’re against affirmative action by race, then for it for voting. Thank you for showing your hypocrisy. : )

kaz

Small l libertarian
But it's BECOMING a thing.

Status of National Popular Vote Bill in Each State
  • Delaware - Enacted into law. Florida. ...
  • Hawaii - Enacted into law. Iowa. ...
  • Illinois - Enacted into law. Indiana. ...
  • Maryland - Enacted into law. Maine - Passed Maine Senate in 2008. ...
  • New York - Enacted into law. Ohio. ...
  • Rhode Island - Enacted into law. South Carolina. ...
  • Washington - Enacted into law. Wisconsin.
Status of National Popular Vote Bill in Each State | National Popular Vote
LOL, the bluest of the blue States. Of course they like tyranny of the majority

middleview

President
Supporting Member
Of course not - just neuter it, am I right?
Since the EC has only differed from the popular vote in 2 elections in the last 100 years, I'm curious...how would it cause the RNC to be "neutered"?

Nixon won the popular vote. Reagan won the popular vote twice. Bush's won the popular vote twice. You seem to resorting to a bullshit argument that the sky is falling.

reason10

Governor
Four times in our history has the popular vote been overridden by the EC....two in the last 20 years.

That right now breaks the record, for being the dumbest thing you've ever said in your life. Somehow I think you might even break that record. The Electoral College does NOT override anything, (except the entitlement mentality of some really [Unwelcome language removed] stupid snowflakes) . You could also say the Electoral College overrides the straw poll. Or you could say it overrides a poll taken in an elementary school in Bumfuck New Jersey. Either way, your level of brain dead continues to rise.

The constitution changes. It changed to allow women and minorities to vote. Did you have a problem with that?

What in the name of Zeus's Butthole does that have to do with the subject of the thread or the Electoral College?

Typical brain dead NAzi liberal. Lose an argument and change the subject.

Try wrapping this around that pea brain of yours.

IF THE POPULAR VOTE WAS THE LEGAL WAY TO ELECT A PRESIDENT, THE TRUMP WOULD HAVE IGNORED MOST OF THE FLY-OVER AREA AND TARGETED THE BIG POPULATION CENTERS. HIS CAMPAIGN IN 13 TARGETED THE ELECTORAL COLLEGE VOTE CENTERS, (WHILE THE HILDEABITCH RAN AROUND TELLING EVERYONE SHE WAS ENTITLED TO BE PRESIDENT.) HE WAS SMARTER THAN HER. SHE ASSUMED SHE OWNED THOSE RUST BELT STATES, (WHEN MOST OF HER RALLIES BARELY DREW 100 PEOPLE, TOPS.)

IF THE POPULAR VOTE WAS THE ACTUAL VOTE, TRUMP WOULD HAVE BEATEN THAT BITCH IN THE POPULAR VOTE. HE HAD THE RESOURCES AND THE SUPERIOR MESSAGE.

EatTheRich

President
Because it’s not about how many there are, it is about whether they are especially advantaged or especially disadvantaged by racial discrimination.

kaz

Small l libertarian
Of course not - just neuter it, am I right?
The Democrats want the popular vote because they know that they are the ones who actually cheat in elections. They are counting on States like California to deliver whatever number of votes it takes

EatTheRich

President
The Democrats want the popular vote because they know that they are the ones who actually cheat in elections. They are counting on States like California to deliver whatever number of votes it takes
A national popular vote would be much harder to rig than separate popular votes in a handful of close states.

Raoul_Luke