• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

The Problem With Privatizing Social Security

Joe Economist

Council Member
The Social Security debate contains a lot of noise, where people argue in great earnest with the worst of cliches. Arguments are repeated over and over until people accept them out of volume rather than reason.

The idea to privatize Social Security deserves more consideration than it gets from either side. Opponents - with a straight face - will warn you about the risk of the stock market, when the money today sits in a system that is insolvent by any measure of the insurance industry. Proponents - with equal ardor - will promise you that a privatized Social Security system would create a pool of capital on which the economy will grow as though Social Security would be a magical money tree.

Lost in the cliche is whether privatizing Social Security is sound public policy. The question is whether it is better for society to prepare for retirement with insurance or savings or a combination of both. Insurance and savings are not the same thing. Both provide money for retirement, but they do it in different ways. Insurance manages risk where as savings accumulates wealth.

In terms of society, a mix is more efficient. With pure insurance, society only has to allocate sufficient resources to provide for only those living to retirement. With savings, society has to allocate sufficient resources for the entire population. The mix of both allows insurance to manage the risk of old-age, and personal savings to manage the risk of the failure of the insurance company.

It is possible to look at this question as we do auto-insurance. People are legally required to get insurance for every car that they own. For that car, it is possible that we could self-insure and have a personal savings account for auto-wrecks. The fact is that we don't. We use a mix of insurance and deductibles, and hope that we don't have a wreck. It is cheaper. Insurance is an expense not an investment.

This is what we have today - in theory. Social Security provides old-age insurance that augments personal savings. Privatization would rewrite Social Security on new terms with a new goal. Privatization would shift the intent of the system from insuring old-age to building savings. In terms of retirement, these insurance and savings are complements not substitutes. They work together like bacon and eggs. Replacing the current Social Security with a personal savings account is like replacing the eggs with sausage.

Before we replace, the eggs with sausage, someone should ask why is it that a new Social Security will perform the job of accumulating wealth better than the savings programs that we already have, and already subsidized. Virtually every American has access to personal savings accounts. They may be 401Ks, IRAs, brokerage accounts. If savings accounts with tax incentives are not getting the job done, how is throwing more money at them going to work any better?

Any publicly mandated retirement planning will affect private savings. Social Security, and all insurance, will lower private savings because as people spend money to buy insurance, they have less money left over to save. Unlike insurance, a privatized Social Security would displace the need for private savings on a dollar for dollar basis because there is no difference between the two. Privatization creates nothing but noise.

In terms of public policy, insurance is a valuable component of retirement planning. Whether it is Social Security or a private market offering, people should at least have the option to buy old-age insurance. Employers should be given incentives to encourage employees to buy private insurance. Given the state of Social Security and the fact that insurance manages risk, it should be a growing part of everyone's retirement plan.

Here is the real problem with privatization: most Americans do not have access to old-age insurance in the private markets. So privatization would change what we can't get elsewhere into something that we already have and already doesn't work.

Bluedog

Mayor
I would be curious what would happen if SS was optional and people could get their contributions back. Lets see how many people really like SS.

Joe Economist

Council Member
I apologize for not replying. I didn't get a notification.You have an opinion here that is not shared by the Social Security Administration.

Social Security has been paid from the general fund ever since the Reagan administration; Dial-A-Prayer.
According to SSA, the system is completely separate from the general government accounts. The Supreme Court in Flemming V Nestor has said that the government has no obligation to pay 'promised' benefits.

the so-called Social Security Trust Fund is a "lockbox" filled with IOU's.
What you call IOUs, are the same thing that investment professionals call "cash-equivalents".

Joe Economist

Council Member
And now it is argued, disingenuously, that since the government has misspent the money, that’s good reason for reforming (i.e., eliminating) Social Security and replacing it with private investment accounts,
I am not sure where it is argued. In my original article, I point out the real problems with privatization. No where do I mention that the government misspent the money. You may have read something else, somewhere else.

The truth is that privatization will be primed with borrowed money while employment taxes will be pumped into the equity markets, which will effectively scuttle the program and shift the blame for it when it founders. (I am reminded of the scene in Catch-22 when Yossarian checks his parachute and finds it replaced with a share of stock in M&M Enterprises.) If the Republicans in Congress have their way, your Social Security and Medicare benefits will end up being a lottery ticket and the number for Dial-A-Prayer.
The point of the article is to show the problems of privatization without the cliches. You are bringing them back.

Joe Economist

Council Member
I would be curious what would happen if SS was optional and people could get their contributions back. Lets see how many people really like SS.
If the system were optional, everyone would leave. It might take a year, but everyone leaves a burning house. The system has made 26 trillion dollars of promises for which it has about 2.7 trillion of resources.

Older people particularly those married would like to stay in the system. The problem is that when everyone leaves, there will be almost no money with which to pay them.

Renee

Governor
If the system were optional, everyone would leave. It might take a year, but everyone leaves a burning house. The system has made 26 trillion dollars of promises for which it has about 2.7 trillion of resources.

Older people particularly those married would like to stay in the system. The problem is that when everyone leaves, there will be almost no money with which to pay them.

And what happens to those who take the money spend it, and then are penniless?

barbarap

Council Member
It is kind of optional in some cases, I think. My husband was a teacher and he did not have to pay into social security while teaching. When he started to get social security, it was based only in the income he made at jobs where he did pay into SS.

I don't know the regulations... I just know that is what happened in his case.

Bluedog

Mayor
But it will when you spend it, and need public assistance.
Not for anything, but I'm not guaranteed to collect my SS anymore than I could profit from the market. So, in either case public assistance could be a possibility.

Renee

Governor
Not for anything, but I'm not guaranteed to collect my SS anymore than I could profit from the market. So, in either case public assistance could be a possibility.

Why can't you collect your SS ? Is this the chicken little syndrome?

Bluedog

Mayor
I'm glad you asked me that.

Flemings v Nestor

In this 1960 Supreme Court decision Nestor's denial of benefits was upheld even though he had contributed to the program for 19 years and was already receiving benefits. Under a 1954 law, Social Security benefits were denied to persons deported for, among other things, having been a member of the Communist party. Accordingly, Mr. Nestor's benefits were terminated. He appealed the termination arguing, among other claims, that promised Social Security benefits were a contract and that Congress could not renege on that contract. In its ruling, the Court rejected this argument and established the principle that entitlement to Social Security benefits is not contractual right.

http://www.ssa.gov/history/nestor.html

You may want to ask SCOTUS.

Joe Economist

Council Member
They would be surprised how little they would get back...
You can disagree with the way I calculate what you would get back, but the figures are right. There is 2.8 trillion in the system, and the system is projected to payout 134 trillion over the next 75 years. You would get back about 2 cents of every dollar promised. For someone vested, ie collecting today, it would be about $6,000.

Joe Economist

Council Member
Statistically, just about everyone is GUARANTEED to get back less than they would investing in the market. You would have a difficult time finding a less productive way to spend your money.

Joe Economist

Council Member
The structural problems of the SS are well documented by its Trustees. It is suppose to be insurance. The measure for insurance is expected benefits per dollar of contribution. That measure has fallen for the last 70 years, and is now below zero for most Americans.

The question isn't whether the sky is falling, but how low can the return go. Today SS is like spending a quarter to buy a dime. But you only get the dime if you can convince your kids to spend a quarter to buy a nickel.