• Hi there guest! Welcome to PoliticalJack.com. Register for free to join our community?

The Republicans don't have a history of racism.

It was a Democrat president not a Republican who appointed Hugo Black a member of the KKK, to the Supreme Court. It was a Democrat Senate that appointed Robert Byrd and member of the KKK to Senate Majority leader. It was a Democrat Governor that blocked blacks access to schools in Alabama, not a Republican.

It was a Republican president that started the war against slavery. It was a Republican president that introduced the first civil rights act and sent troops to Alabama to allow blacks to attend segregated schools. I was a majority of Republicans that voted for the Civil Rights acts of 1964 and 1965. It was a Republican President who appointed the first Black member of the Supreme Court.

Democrats are just a racist now as they where then, enslaving blacks to welfare to obtain their votes.

Craig

Senator
Supporting Member

It was a Democrat president not a Republican who appointed Hugo Black a member of the KKK, to the Supreme Court. It was a Democrat Senate that appointed Robert Byrd and member of the KKK to Senate Majority leader. It was a Democrat Governor that blocked blacks access to schools in Alabama, not a Republican.

It was a Republican president that started the war against slavery. It was a Republican president that introduced the first civil rights act and sent troops to Alabama to allow blacks to attend segregated schools. I was a majority of Republicans that voted for the Civil Rights acts of 1964 and 1965. It was a Republican President who appointed the first Black member of the Supreme Court.

Democrats are just a racist now as they where then, enslaving blacks to welfare to obtain their votes.
It was a Republican President who appointed the first Black member of the Supreme Court.

This is false. Thurgood Marshall was appointed by LBJ.

Bugsy McGurk

President

History is interesting, of course, but sane people are more concerned with the present, and the GOP's current passion for racism.

bdtex

Administrator
Staff member

It was a Republican President who said he wouldn't free any slaves if he could win the Civil War without freeing any and it was a Republican who adopted the "Southern Strategy" that all subsequent GOP POTUS candidate have employed.

Mr. Friscus

Governor
It was a Republican President who said he wouldn't free any slaves if he could win the Civil War without freeing any and it was a Republican who adopted the "Southern Strategy" that all subsequent GOP POTUS candidate have employed.
Interesting side note about the Civil War. Northerners, the victors, have created some very false truth about the Confederacy, as most war victors do about the enemies they defeat.
  • In 1864, the Confederate States began to abandon slavery. There are some indications that even without a war, the Confederacy would have ended slavery. Most historians believe that the Confederacy only started to abandon slavery once their defeat was imminent. If that were true then we are to believe that the CSA wanted independence more than they wanted to hold on to slavery.
  • The CSA’s highest ranking generals, Robert E. Lee and Joseph E. Johnston were not slave holders and did not believe in slavery.
  • According to an 1860 census, only 31% of families owned slaves.
  • 75% of families that owned slaves owned less than 10 and often worked beside them in the fields.
  • The Confederate Constitution banned the overseas slave trade, and permitted Confederate states to abolish slavery within their borders if they wanted to do so.
  • Slavery wasn’t abolished until 1868, 3 years after the war. Thus Kentucky, Missouri, Maryland and Delaware still had slaves.
Not quite the picture painted in modern pseudo-knowledge, is it?

bdtex

Administrator
Staff member
Interesting side note about the Civil War. Northerners, the victors, have created some very false truth about the Confederacy, as most war victors do about the enemies they defeat.
  • In 1864, the Confederate States began to abandon slavery. There are some indications that even without a war, the Confederacy would have ended slavery. Most historians believe that the Confederacy only started to abandon slavery once their defeat was imminent. If that were true then we are to believe that the CSA wanted independence more than they wanted to hold on to slavery.
  • The CSA’s highest ranking generals, Robert E. Lee and Joseph E. Johnston were not slave holders and did not believe in slavery.
  • According to an 1860 census, only 31% of families owned slaves.
  • 75% of families that owned slaves owned less than 10 and often worked beside them in the fields.
  • The Confederate Constitution banned the overseas slave trade, and permitted Confederate states to abolish slavery within their borders if they wanted to do so.
  • Slavery wasn’t abolished until 1868, 3 years after the war. Thus Kentucky, Missouri, Maryland and Delaware still had slaves.
Not quite the picture painted in modern pseudo-knowledge, is it?
Yep. Phil Robertson said he worked beside them in the fields and they were Happy,Happy,Happy.

bdtex

Administrator
Staff member

Is it your usual practice to mock contextual truths? LOL

You can not like it all you want, the truth remains.
There was no mocking dude. Did you leave your sense of humor at home this morning?

You said:
I said:

"Yep. Phil Robertson said he worked beside them in the fields and they were Happy,Happy,Happy."

fairsheet

Senator
I STILL don't understand why some righsters are so eager to remind us that the Democratic Party USED to be the locus of American racism, but that the GOP willingly and eagerly gobbled up that defecation a soon as the Dems dumped it.

Bugsy McGurk

President
I STILL don't understand why some righsters are so eager to remind us that the Democratic Party USED to be the locus of American racism, but that the GOP willingly and eagerly gobbled up that defecation a soon as the Dems dumped it.
Pure sophistry - pointing out that the Dems used to be the party of racists (true) to argue that the GOP is not now the party of racists (false).

fairsheet

Senator
Pure sophistry - pointing out that the Dems used to be the party of racists (true) to argue that the GOP is not now the party of racists (false).
Frankly, I've always thought of it as a strategic move on the part of the GOP brain trust. Actually, their younger cohort, as well as their more rational and "moneyed" cohort has been caused to discomfort by the GOP's overt racism. It would be nice if they could change their own ways, but that would cost them too much - as their racist cohort and memes are so fundamental to them.

Instead then, they've fallen back on the shout that "the other" is just as bad as they are.

Bugsy McGurk

President
Frankly, I've always thought of it as a strategic move on the part of the GOP brain trust. Actually, their younger cohort, as well as their more rational and "moneyed" cohort has been caused to discomfort by the GOP's overt racism. It would be nice if they could change their own ways, but that would cost them too much - as their racist cohort and memes are so fundamental to them.

Instead then, they've fallen back on the shout that "the other" is just as bad as they are.
Yup. All part of the GOP ruse. A cult must engage in such conduct to attract and retain its members.

Mr. Friscus

Governor
There was no mocking dude. Did you leave your sense of humor at home this morning?

You said:
I said:

"Yep. Phil Robertson said he worked beside them in the fields and they were Happy,Happy,Happy."
So it was a 100% joke, no historical/political suggestion?

Who knows, maybe this one did go over my head, but it appeared to be snide.

Mr. Friscus

Governor

Just to clarify, both parties do this constantly.

If I were to bring up something I felt Obama has done poorly, chances are a Democrat would look at George W. Bush's record and see if he did just as poorly.

I've seen so many Obama supporters try to justify Obama by saying GWB did it too...

Bottom Line: It's ridiculous to point out one party in this practice.